It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:40 pm

A bit off-topic: Legal aspects of recording organ expander

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

David Pinnegar

Re:

PostSat May 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Joe wrote:No, the B4 is not sampled. It uses Physical Modeling.

In theory Physical Modeling is capable of any sound, in reality it is a difficult task to accomplish. . . . It would be interesting if someone could design a set of pipe organ ranks this way.

Hi!

I was fortunate enough to buy a Viscount CM100 from a member on this list - and this uses physical modelling. I have yet to get the computer connected up to play with real voicing parameters but the idea is interesting. It's brilliant for the quacky baroque reeds - Musette, Fagotto, Dulzian etc, brilliant to access a stop library of 200 stops accessible on any manual . . . but I'm not always convinced by many. The Trompet is brilliantly quacky and Baroque but I'm not sure about having a whole organ relying entirely on all the sounds available: it's a useful tool and a useful addition.

But Viscount have brought out a Physis instrument using such physical modelling about which many seem to be raving.

Best wishes

David P
http://www.organmatters.co.uk
David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.

Doug S.

Re: A bit off-topic: Legal aspects of recording organ expander

PostWed Jul 01, 2009 12:47 pm

I don't think these are sold any longer by GM. Might this alter the legality? Many Hewlett Packard calculators no longer available can be had as PC software emulators.
Doug
Previous

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs