It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:36 pm

Lessons from Ambiophonics

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

Stephen Phillips

Lessons from Ambiophonics

PostTue Oct 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi all,

I decided to post this topic after coming away from a discussion of RAM requirements in the General Discussion area.

For those of you unfamiliar with Ambiophonics as a concept, go here:

www.ambiophonics.org

In brief, it is a serious and credible way (or group of ways, more properly) to provide playback conditions — especially for, but not limited to, 'staged' music performances — of sufficient realism to convince the ear-brain mechanism that the listener is indeed in the intended soundfield. Results will be further enhanced through specific decisions made in the recording process (for new projects, obviously).

Virtual pipe organ performance has no essential difference in its objectives, and as such is 'fair game' for the concept. Here is a short list of observations and tactics for your consideration:

1. Spatial impression is vital for realism.

2. 'Brute force' multi-channel session recordings are not only resource-hungry, but cannot accurately depict the location soundfield, primarily due to the unavoidable contamination of 'stage area' sounds leaking into the surround microphones — a serious compromising of the characteristics of the location soundfield.

3. Use of the 'Ambiophone' — a concept based on stereo mic principles with head-type shadowing and conscious suppression of non-frontal sounds — allows for the following:

a) correct angular imaging with inter-aural crosstalk cancellation (IACC) such as RACE (with primary 2-channel playback loudspeakers angled — unusually — at 10-25 degrees rather than stereo's typical 60 degrees, an arrangement known as the 'Ambiopole')

b) reconstruction of the venue acoustic (or substitute acoustic) via multi-channel IR convolution, inherently free from direct-type sound contamination, and involving no storage-resources penalty, not to mention the attraction of extraordinary soundfield versatility

4. While this approach allows for the fullest expression of the concept (assuming 2 channel recording), 2-channel recordings using a variety of traditional approaches also benefit enormously from this playback method.

5. Playback room treatment to effectively suppress undesirable reflections is strongly recommended.

6. Perusal of the website material and freely downloadable PC and Mac routines for IACC will provide answers to most questions. You will see that, while it is a 'system' which works brilliantly with 2-channel record/playback, it can be expanded to include scientifically valid full surround-type recording (though this is not really applicable to forward-direct sound + enveloping acoustic events like pipe organ), even to the extent of properly including height data.

All in all, a great leap forward and endorsement of the frequent listener experience that headphone playback is 'best' — I think not for the primary reason that it avoids small-room playback environment distortions, nor for (in spite of) the admitted directional distortion of headphone playback, but because of the REMOVAL OF TIMBRAL DISTORTION CAUSED BY THE COMB-FILTERING RESULTING FROM WIDELY-SPACED LEFT/RIGHT SPEAKERS OF TRADITIONAL STEREO AND MULTI-CHANNEL SPEAKER ARRAYS.

Looking forward to others' thoughts. Just thought I'd kick the ball into play.

Cheers,

Stephen. PS I am in the process of constructing a dedicated room along these lines, with broadband absorption, front and rear Ambiopoles, with additional IR surround field loudspeakers, delivery through a 24-channel sound card. I will report on progress with pictures as they become available.

fantapavela

PostWed Jan 14, 2009 7:02 am

Dear Stephen,

thank you very much for your post. I surfed the website of ambiophonics but have to admit that I am a little bit confused by the very technical glossary used.

However I tried the samples already processed and it's true, the result is astonishing.

The question now is, how can I use this process while playing hauptwerk? Do I need an external processor or I can use on the HW computer itself?

Thank you

Paola

Stephen Phillips

PostWed Jan 14, 2009 4:13 pm

Dear Paola,

The controlled listening tests performed by the Ambiophonics Institute suggest that the spatial behaviour of the system is so convincing that it is the dominant parameter in listeners' subjective response, as opposed to the spectral response etc. so much discussed in 'Hi-Fi' circles. As you know, there is a lot of (well-founded) anxiety in virtual-organ land regarding system non-linearities and the desirability of many (much more than 2) playback channels. Ambiophonics is at its heart a 2-channel concept, but its principles can (in part) still be deployed in playback arrangements of any conceivable number of channels.

In any case, in a situation where you would be reproducing stereo sample data through a high-quality 2-channel main array (the 'ambiodipole' of closely-spaced full-range speakers), there IS the requirement that the signal path be 'intercepted' by the interaural crosstalk cancelling processing (the RACE described on the website). It is a digital processing of the input which, when correctly calibrated for the listening environment, results in a 'freeing' of the spatial information in the frontal hemisphere , especially for the centrally-positioned listener. This can be done using the Audio Mulch software running on the PC, or by an appropriate impulse response i.e. convolution process (discussed on the site) or by a hardware device such as those listed. Running the Audio Mulch application on the same computer as Hauptwerk would naturally place an additional strain on resources but may not be a critical factor, depending of course on all relevant parameters. As to whether Hauptwerk tolerates this sort of system-sharing (access to audio drivers etc.), I will defer to a higher authority as I have not tried it. Hopefully Brett or other qualified Hauptwerk guru will spy this post and comment for us.

Beyond this basic implementation of Ambiophonics principles, there are of course the 2nd rear 'dipole', side-mounted 'difference-only' signal loudspeakers (all optional), and of course (and probably more telling for pipe organ reproduction) a battery of broadly diffused reverberation-signal surround-type loudspeakers, fed with signals constructed by a convolution engine (software or hardware). For this, most definitiely I would suggest a separate processor (i.e. computer) as the load on it will be significant. This part of Ambiophonics can be implemented with dry mono sample sets just as relevantly as with stereo wet sets.

Being a multi-faceted 'suite' of ideas or principles, Ambiophonics I believe has 'something for everyone' depending on scale, goals, and other details. At the very least, it demonstrates the clear and unarguable superiority of properly rendered frontal soundfields as opposed to the gross comb-filter distortion generated in typical 60-degree stereo-type loudspeaker arrangements.

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a Cathedral with a brilliant and versatile organ? So much simpler. . .

Cheers,

Stephen.

fantapavela

PostWed Jan 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Dear Stephen,

thank you very much for your exhaustive answer. It would be very nice to use this solution together with HW because it will set us free from headphones, necessary to have the best perception of a wet set.

Will wait for our "gurus" opinion!!!

Ciao

Paola

Stephen Phillips

PostMon Apr 06, 2009 5:43 pm

I had hoped that this thread might have been 'caught' by Brett or another senior Hauptwerk person, as I had 'thrown out' to expert opinion, the question of system sharing with other apps on the same computer, an area where I am out of my depth. Apparently, it was not (caught, that is). Anyone able to answer on this one?

Cheers,

Stephen

mdyde

PostTue Apr 07, 2009 5:26 am

Hello Stephen,

I had hoped that this thread might have been 'caught' by Brett or another senior Hauptwerk person, as I had 'thrown out' to expert opinion, the question of system sharing with other apps on the same computer, an area where I am out of my depth.

Whether an audio or MIDI device allows more than one application to access it simultaneously ('multi-client') depends on its driver(s) and the operating system. However, if you wanted to use external audio processing software on the same computer to apply effects to Hauptwerk's output, then you wouldn't normally need to share the same devices.

Assuming the processing software is available in plug-in form (VST format on PC or Mac or Audio Unit on Mac) you would use the same method as applying other real-time effects (e.g. reverb/convolver plug-ins). On Windows PCs you can use VST:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/CurrentUserGuide/UserGuideRedirects/QuickStart-VSTi.pdf

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3640

... or Reaper:

http://www.reaper.fm/

... and on Mac OS X you can use Audio Hijack Pro:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Audio+ ... =firefox-a

... or Jack OS X:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3011

... or Soundflower:

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower

If you search the forum for those keywords you should find plenty of posts from people that use those various approaches.

How much CPU time will be taken away from Hauptwerk depends mainly on the plug-ins (and/or VST hosts) themselves.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Stephen Phillips

PostTue Apr 07, 2009 7:39 am

Well, there is our senior expert opinion! Many thanks Martin, I will study this material and be the better informed.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs