It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 am

Sample producers: Is there interest in a "looping servi

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

ReinerS

Sample producers: Is there interest in a "looping servi

PostWed Dec 22, 2004 3:23 am

Hello fellow Hauptwerkers and especially sample producers,

I am working on an algorithm to compute multiple seamless loops in organ samples. Most of it is developed and works, but its still work in progress. The goal is to be able to (almost) automatically find multiple loops that can be played without any crossfades and store them in the wave file, also to automatically place the release marker at the end of the "stable section" of the sample.

Another option to get a more "live" sound (although not supported in HW2 yet) could be to process multiple samples of a given pipe and store the attack phases together with one looped sustain phase in the sample, so that it would be possible to randomly (or even depending on velocity to have the effect of a mechanical action) select an attack sample and then switch (seamlessly but without fading) into the sustain loop. That way playing repeated notes would sound a little different each time and therefore more realistic.

My questions is: Would it be of interest to you (as sample producers) if someone (I) does this tedious work for you? This would not mean signal processing in any way, i.e. the actual wave-data remains unchanged, but merely finding loops of various size but high quality to be played in HW2, which can switch between loops during playback.

I do not intend to distribute the software for three reasons:
1) It's done in a scripting language (Octave), so I can only distribute the source, which I don't want.
2) It does not have the quality (in terms of ocumentation and user interface) needed for any software to be distributed, i.e. I would spend a lot of time with documenting and support, that I don't want either.
3) I am starting a long term project that will try to generate organ sounds by signal modeling. (most likely not in real time) For that I need as many samples of different real organ pipes as possible as a source for signal analysis. Therefore looping a sample set for you would also help me in the other project. If you don't want me to use your samples for that purpose that will be ok also, but I will charge more for looping then.

So my intent is to offer looping as a service. I figure that I will be ready for offering this service in 4-8 weeks. My idea is to charge a fixed amount per stop (which I havn't set yet). For those of you who produce a free sample set, I would offer to reloop that for HW2 use for free also (if you let me use the samples for the signal modeling project).

So the final question: Is this of interest for you or am I completely on the wrong track?

Greetings from Germany
Reiner

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs