It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:51 pm

Tuning Mixtures

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

ggoode_sa

Tuning Mixtures

PostFri Mar 20, 2009 1:19 am

Hi,
I'm looking for advice on how to best tune Mixtures in a HW sample set. I know that Martin's Stop Prepare tool does detect and use the harmonics to fine tune samples. Could one use it to tune mixtures by ignoring the fundamental of the note and just selecting the specific harmonics that are present within the Mixture? Or should one just try to tune the note by ear?
Thanks
GrahamG

bcollins

PostFri Mar 20, 2009 1:49 am

I've always had good luck using the Stop Prepare tool. Make sure you have a good backup. Select the fundamental of the lowest pipe in the mixture at C1. Then double check each sample by loading it at equal temperament just to be sure.

Works fine even with mixtures that roll back. The Stop Prepare tool seems to find the pitch it's looking for just fine.

Another method I've used is to do sections of the rank separately, by choosing pipe numbers, i.e. 36 through 47, then 48 through 59... if you know the exact structure of the mixture.
Last edited by bcollins on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Collins

ggoode_sa

PostFri Mar 20, 2009 1:53 am

Thanks Bob, I'm working with samples that I didn't record (the Jeux D'orgues), so will ask Joseph Basquin if he knows the structure of the mixture.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs