It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 am

Minimizing tracker action noise in recordings

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

anduins

Minimizing tracker action noise in recordings

PostMon Feb 14, 2005 6:20 am

Hello!

I know that most of samplers are professionals that probably are not happy to share their sampling methods, anyway I have a question:

do you have any suggestions on how to minimize the tracker action noise while recording an organ?

Pre-depression of the key and post-release damping (both made with fingers) have some effect but still the noise is quite hearable.

Another idea is just cover the keyboard with some foam (or a tick carpet?) to absorb part of the noise, but I didn't tried this.

Does anyone like to share his own experience?

Thanks!

gehengeht

Let it sound forth... or mic closer?

PostMon Feb 14, 2005 8:14 am

(As a harpsichord and early music enthusiast, I say let the tracker action speak. It adds both percussive effects and insight into the production of sound, especially lower notes, where the sound perceptibly lags behind the keypress.... But, that said:)

Choice and placement of microphones may be your primary means beyond your idea of damping sound at the keyboard. Some dynamic mics, such as the Electro Voice RE-20, have excellent audio frequency range for close sounds, can handle very loud sounds (they are often used for trumpet and sax in jazz recordings), yet attenuate sounds greatly as the distance between the sound source and the microphone increases. The latter is one reason it is popular in radio broadcast production. Because it is dynamic, it doesn't have the proximity effect of condenser mics.

The down side is its cost and its need for a superb recording chain, owing to its need for pre-amplification (it's not, in other words, a "hot" mic). There is a younger brother, the RE27N/D, that is 6 dB hotter, but even more expensive.

Along with selection of a mic with relatively low sensitivity, very close placement of the microphone(s) to the pipes themselves will much reduce any sound not at the pipe rank itself.

Dave

anduins

PostTue Feb 15, 2005 8:43 am

The organ I recorded is an old organ, this is why the tracker action is so noisy.

I will try to create some stops and see if the effect is good or not. If not probably I will record another organ.

Thanks.

gehengeht

PostTue Feb 15, 2005 9:31 am

anduins wrote:I will try to create some stops and see if the effect is good or not. If not probably I will record another organ.

Thanks.

Forgot to mention that you possibly could choose a highly directional microphone. In this case, you point the diaphragm or capsule at the pipes and the dead area at the keyboard.

This could be pretty hard if the instrument is a small case type with pipes surrounding the keyboard.

Or buy or make a shotgun mic. Years ago I saw plans on the Net for a shotgun using multiple tubes of tuned length to prevent the sometimes bizarre audio effects of shotgun / parabolic mics... but I cannot find the page today.

Dave G.

anduins

PostTue Feb 15, 2005 10:43 am

gehengeht wrote:This could be pretty hard if the instrument is a small case type with pipes surrounding the keyboard.

This is my case...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs