It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

First free release of autoloop

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

Morse

Re: First free release of autoloop

PostMon Aug 09, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi Neil,
A couple of things:
Seamless Looper does works with single files on my Win7. It's the batch mode that doesn't work properly.
Maybe Nick will add a true batch mode sometime, but in the meantime you can loop a rank eight times faster on your i7 by simply splitting his bat file into eight smaller bat files. Then run them simultaneously with all eight (virtual) cores from a controlling bat file. My controlling bat file looks like:

@echo off
mkdir new
del new\*.* /q
start autoloop1.bat
start autoloop2.bat
start autoloop3.bat
start autoloop4.bat
start autoloop5.bat
start autoloop6.bat
start autoloop7.bat
start autoloop8.bat

Each of the autoloopN files contains 7 or eight samples from the rank. Task Manager shows that all eight cores are then being utilized.

In the last couple of weeks I have looped 58 ranks and I'm more and more impressed with Autoloop. It's very rare that a sample doesn't loop, usually a mixture or a sample that is very low level.
Al Morse

NicholasA

PostMon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the comments. Al has had the same thoughts in regards to multiple core utilisation. At present, his batch idea seems to do the job of splitting the tasks quite well. Unfortunately, simply due to the nature in which autoloop works, it would be impossible to speed-up the individual processes using threads. It is a sequential algorithm (something happens and generates some data, then something else happens that uses that data, then something else happens that uses that data... so on) and it can't happen concurrently. Which means that the best thing I could do is make an application which essentially does the same thing as Al's batch file.

In regards to the cue positioning... when autoloop is run on a wave file, it removes all of the existing loops - but does not remove existing cue points. I'm not sure what you are using your samples for, but if you are using them for Hauptwerk, I always run my samples through the Hauptwerk Sample Preparation Tool (you can contact Brett Milan for a copy) before looping them. There is an option in this tool to automatically place a release marker. If this option is checked, when you "autoloop" the result, the cue point will remain in each file. I can understand your frustration in having to manually "insert" a cue point in Cool Edit for each sample.

That being said, what you have requested is a really simple feature for me to add (only a couple of extra lines of code) which I am happy to do before the next release.

Nick
Nick Appleton
WWW: http://www.appletonaudio.com/
Please avoid contacting me using private messages. Contact via the email address provided on my contact page is preferred.

NeilCraig

PostTue Aug 10, 2010 4:34 am

Morse wrote:Seamless Looper does works with single files on my Win7. It's the batch mode that doesn't work properly.

That's odd, because it works for me. I don't use zero-X, however, as every loop had a click and in some cases, they're so bad that the crossfade HW has to put in to work around it is so large it sounds like a release and a second attack on 16' and 32' pipes.

Maybe Nick will add a true batch mode sometime, but in the meantime you can loop a rank eight times faster on your i7 by simply splitting his bat file into eight smaller bat files.

That's one way of improving the performance and I'll look into it, but that's not exactly my issue; I wanted rather to decrease the intervention required per unit time. To this end, I ran 5 instances of AL, processing a different folder with each, and this seemed quite happy to push all 4 cores to 58 degrees and near 100% utilization. I think I could push it to 6 ranks or more, so this looks like the best option for me, with 90 ranks to loop.

Best//Neil
A plaque is simply not necessary - everyone will know it is a Willis organ! - "Father" Henry Willis

NeilCraig

PostTue Aug 10, 2010 4:43 am

NicholasA wrote:
In regards to the cue positioning... when autoloop is run on a wave file, it removes all of the existing loops - but does not remove existing cue points. I'm not sure what you are using your samples for, but if you are using them for Hauptwerk, I always run my samples through the Hauptwerk Sample Preparation Tool (you can contact Brett Milan for a copy) before looping them.

Hi Nick. That's certainly an option, but I haven't used it as all the samples are tuned to concert pitch and the ODF is set to reflect this. In the past, StopPrepare has been unable to detect the pitch on some mixtures, due to instability, which had to be processed with other methods.

That being said, what you have requested is a really simple feature for me to add (only a couple of extra lines of code) which I am happy to do before the next release.

Many thanks!

Best Wishes
Neil
A plaque is simply not necessary - everyone will know it is a Willis organ! - "Father" Henry Willis

NicholasA

PostSat Aug 14, 2010 6:09 am

Hi,

Version 0.3b is up with the features requested. You can get it here.

Best regards,

Nick
Nick Appleton
WWW: http://www.appletonaudio.com/
Please avoid contacting me using private messages. Contact via the email address provided on my contact page is preferred.

NeilCraig

PostSat Aug 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Many, many thanks for this, Nick. Downloading now and will let you know how I get on later.

Best//Neil
Previous

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs