It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:30 am

Manual for Making a Sample Organ Set?

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

knupp

Manual for Making a Sample Organ Set?

PostTue Nov 17, 2009 7:38 pm

Is there a manual on how to make a sample set? Our advanced Hauptwerk is on the way, and I'd like to sample our school's instruments for use in Hauptwerk. (we have mics, sound editors--all the goodies I think we need.)

thanks!

bob knupp
associate professor of organ
mississippi college
clinton, ms

engrssc

Re: Manual for Making a Sample Organ Set?

PostTue Nov 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Be advised, recording sound samples is by far the very easiest part of creating a sample set. Added to that are a countless number of hours in preparing/editing them, etc. :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Nov 17, 2009 9:14 pm

Hello Bob,

Please contact me privately via email and I will send you information that we have available.

Thank you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Antoni Scott

PostFri Nov 20, 2009 6:02 pm

I would think it would be better to leave sampling to the experts. We have enough on Hautpwerk to satisfy most tastes. Sampling is an extremely difficult job and procedure, best left to those that can do it properly. .

Since Lavender Audio , as an example, has quite successfully combined stops from other organs to come up with a more complete specification, and other samplers have quite successfully extended just about all other organs, I think the next generation of sampled organs should be the one's that we can create for ourselves. It would be nice to pick and choose certain stops from one organ or another and come up with a custom specification just to suit our own taste. Just about every organ I have ( 12 so far !!!!) could have one or two more stops to complete my requirements.

For example, the fabulous Metz, already extended, I would prefer to have with more upper work on each manual. The Forcalquier Recit only has four stops, one of them an incomplete reed. The Caen could benefit with more Mixtures, etc, etc. The most complete organ ( Inspired Acoustics) may not suit eveyone's needs although one cannot complain about the huge specification.

ggoode_sa

PostSat Nov 21, 2009 3:39 am

Hi,

I would think it would be better to leave sampling to the experts. We have enough on Hautpwerk to satisfy most tastes. Sampling is an extremely difficult job and procedure, best left to those that can do it properly. .

Hmmm, I disagree completely. While sampling an organ is a complex job, it is very do-able. Especially if you're willing to experiment and ask for help. And I think that the whole Hauptwerk community can benefit from having more Organs sampled.
GrahamG

GDay

PostSat Nov 21, 2009 2:12 pm

. . . I would think it would be better to leave sampling to the experts. We have enough on Hautpwerk to satisfy most tastes. Sampling is an extremely difficult job and procedure, best left to those that can do it properly. .

Hmm . . . Well, in my opinion, producing sample sets ought to be left to those who want to produce sample sets. Hauptwerk has never made a distinction between amateur and expect - the "expect" sample producers amongst us have become so by virtue of actually doing. Hauptwerk has always actively encouraged sample production by any and all. The heading of this topic area says it all, and it's meant for all. Good on ya Graham!
G'Day

I still have a few small chickens for sale . . .

knupp

PostTue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 pm

The reason I want to sample an organ is a practical matter. I'm an organ teacher at a school, and our main performance instrument (Moller-3/38) is in our Chapel, and we can't use the instrument when classes are taught in the basement. (mornings and evenings). Our console is equipped with MIDI, so I'm going to try to sample the organ so that my students can practice on the organ using hauptwerk and headphones... (hearing the pipe organ in the chapel through the headphones)

we have two small practice organs--that's going to be our starting point..learn small, start big...

ggoode_sa

PostTue Nov 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi,
You will need to think about and plan your 'sampling' in four phases:
1. Recording the Pipes
2. Cleaning the recording (noise reduction)
3. Configuring Loops and Releases
4. Creating the CODM and Graphics.

In phase 1, you will need to make decisions about what level of technology you will use for the recording (Mid-level verses High level microhones, Wet Samples, Dry Samples, Mono recordings/Stereo recordings, etc). You will also need to experiment with Mic placement. There is already some very good advice regarding this in the documentation from Brett and on this forum.
In Phase 2 you can use Nick Appleton's free NoiseReduction tool, or invest other software to this job. Of all the steps in the sampling chain this one gave me the biggest headache as the line between removing too much noise and not removing enough is almost a matter of personal taste...
For phase 3 Nick Appleton has also produced some wonderful (albeit command line driven) software that makes life so much easier. And there are other excellent Loopers available that you can purchase if you prefer a Graphical Interface.
Then in Phase 4, make use of the example CODMs that come with Hauptwerk, and don't be shy to ask questions! There are many people willing to help if you are willing to make the effort to take the first steps!
All the best,
GrahamG

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs