It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

The art of sampling pipe organs

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

Charles Braund

Re: The art of sampling pipe organs

PostThu Jan 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Ken,

Thanks for your input.

Unfortunately, there has not been sufficient interest in the project for me to take it much further a the moment. I have already suggested a sensible contribution price earlier in the postings but no one has really enquired much further so it's gone on to a "back burner". Obviously, the information contained in what I have already compiled as it stands is not sufficiently attractive at any price (unless of course it was free) to elicit a greater response. The fact that it would save many would be samplers a fortune in avoiding costly mistakes both in terms of time and money doesn't seem to engender much enthusiasm apart from all but a handful of people.

Although there are quite a few producers around there could be many more., It may be that many would be producers are completely put off by the expense, time and complexity of creating a sample set once they work it all out. If that is the case, there would be little point in them looking into the matter further.

The basic guide as outlined in an earlier post is and has been available since I originally posted this topic.

pkdoyon

PostThu Mar 31, 2011 5:27 am

Just saw this post.

I am interested in your course.

Reply directly to pauldoyon@embarqmail.com

Paul

pkdoyon

PostThu Mar 31, 2011 5:30 am

Tell me the cost, even it ifs just for me.

I have an historic organ in my home church that I want to sample.
Paul

schantzplayer

PostThu Oct 13, 2011 5:06 am

I would be interested after the large Silver Octopus samples are purchased.

vale

PostFri Nov 25, 2011 3:33 pm

I am interested in your course.
Advice me when ready
Thanks
Valentino

Charles Braund

PostFri Dec 09, 2011 11:14 pm

I have only just caught the last couple of posts on this subject since for some reason, my email server has stopped informing me of new postings.

The initial "diatribe" as it stands is currently selling for 25 pounds sterling.

It covers the basics of sampling and the pitfalls that can be encountered, how to go about getting the best results from a particular organ and much other invaluable information. Whilst some of the topics are completely obvious when seen in the written word, they are the sorts of things that can be easily forgotten by even the most experienced.

Since many churches etc. now see fit to charge extortionate rates for the privelage of sampling an organ in many cases because they have an inflated belief that there is a fortune to be made, it is all the more important to be able to get it right first time and in as little time as possible. Therefore even if only one small aspect of this work saves having to go back and to it again, then it must be seen as a good investment.

Currently there is no guidance in the text as to microphone techniques since these are well covered elsewhere on the internet. Likewise there is no instruction or guideline on editing nor the actual creation of an HW set whether via an ODF or CODM since these are fairly wel covered through other sources.

Subject to feedback, and further interest, the guide may be extended and may (at a later date), also include text from Neil and Graham as to their techniques regarding reverberation, spacing or the creation of graphics.

Thanks so far to those who have supported this project.

jeremalian

PostTue Jun 26, 2012 5:17 am

Please I am also interested.
How much does it cost and how can I make my payment?

Sk8london

PostWed Jun 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi Charles

I would also like to express an interest in your "full" guide, for the idea of sampling some of the organs in my home town is one of the main reasons I have joined the hauptwerk forums.

Charles Braund

PostThu Jun 28, 2012 8:35 pm

The price as stated below is currently 25.00 sterling. If you are interested please contact me directly to arrange how payment can be made etc.

There are indeed some very fine instruments in Lancashire (where I grew up) and I have already sampled some of them so it might be pertinent to check whether they have already been done. Sadly some irreplacable instruments have gone such as King Georges Hall in Blackburn and a large and unique 4 manual Father Willis form the same city which disappeared in 1974. However, there are still very many left including several in Preston, Blackpool etc. and many would be worthwhile to sample.

Charles Braund

PostSun Nov 04, 2012 9:34 pm

For those who have not already received the addendae to the original publication, please email me and I will send these on by return.
Of course, these addendae are free to all those who have supported this project so far.

Bets
CB

b.natural

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Sign me up, too.
Previous

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs