It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:32 pm

IR creation - discussion and free software

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

gernot

IR creation - discussion and free software

PostThu Dec 01, 2005 4:35 am

Hello everybody !

In the last couple of months, I have been doing some research on IRs and how to record them.

As a result of this, I have implemented IR recording tools which use the "Farina log sine sweep" method and partitioned convolution. At the moment, it is possible to

1) generate the sine sweep test signal (and the time-reversed/equalised signal needed for deconvolution)
2) perform high quality (80bit float) convolution which ist needed in order to get the IR from the recorded sine sweep

(I shall put some example IRs on my private server next week, if time allows)

A missing but important feature is the compensation of the "colouring" of the IR introduced by the used speaker. That way you do not need to have and expensive speaker (like the Genelec S30D) but can use any good HiFi speaker.

I wonder if there is an interest in

- discussion about recording IRs (which microphones, which placements etc.)
- a free "PROSPECTUM IR suite" software consisting of the speaker frequency response correction, the sweep generators and the fast (de)convolution routine plus a small "how to..." guide

At the moment the programs only have a command line interface. However, if there is an interest in the "PROSPECTUM IR suite", I can write graphical user interfaces.

Please let me know what you think about this.

Best regards,

Gernot Wurst

gernot

IRs

PostMon Dec 05, 2005 3:18 pm

I have/will put some IRs on the PROSPECTUM page ( www.prospectum.com ->misc ->impulse responses).

Aart Saly

PostMon Jan 16, 2006 3:25 pm

See my posting of a few months ago:

http://www.crumhorn-labs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=795

Till so far not really an overwelming reaction.

Though I'm glad with your IR's. But I was wondering if we could make a central spot (a shared pool) where we can store a copy of all our captured IR's, so all members of this community would be able to use them freely.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs