It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:00 pm

Noise reduction software - Mac

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

icrutt

Noise reduction software - Mac

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 5:30 am

Dear All,
I'm just dipping my toe into the world of sampling (don't hold your breath for playable results!), and would be grateful for advice from those in the know about noise reduction. Can anyone recommend good software (AU plugin or whatever) for Mac? Any other advice?

Many thanks!
Ian

toplayer2

Re: Noise reduction software - Mac

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 9:47 am

Ian,

The two leading NR tools are those included with Sound Forge and iZotope Rx Pro. Far more important than the tool is the skill of the person using it. This comes with practice. NR has the potential to seriously damage the sample by 1) introducing digital artifacts, 2) attenuating or destroying upper harmonics and inharmonic content, 3) attenuating fundamentals, and 4) dulling attack transients.

Tips for NR: 1) remove only as much noise as necessary to have a usable sample, 2) use multiple passes with small cuts, 3) experiment with FFT size to find the value that produces the best results for the rank, 4) generally,set the attack parameter to the fastest setting, 5) do only one note at a time, 6) alternate source for capturing the noiseprint between the start and end of the sample, 6) after each pass, A/B the processed sample with the original unprocessed sample and make a judgement when to stop, 7) single frequency artifacts might be amenable to 1/3 octave notch filtering, 8 ) broad spectrum artifacts like "phasing" or "under water" effects cannot be fixed.

If this sounds like a heck of a lot of tedious work, that's because it is!

Joe Hardy
Paramount Organ Works

wurlitzerwilly

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 11:20 am

toplayer2 wrote:
If this sounds like a heck of a lot of tedious work, that's because it is!

Joe Hardy
Paramount Organ Works

Something of an understatement, given the hours of tedious work that you and Iain have put in.

Attention to detail and one sample per pipe is why Hauptwerk systems generally sound far better than commercial (non-Hauptwerk) organs. Unfortunately, when time=money and money's short, the product suffers.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

deWaverley

PostWed Dec 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Very generous of you to pass on so much of the knowledge you have gained from experience, Joe.

icrutt

PostThu Dec 29, 2011 6:34 am

Indeed! Thanks very much, Joe, for sharing your experience with us all. Those suggestions and thoughts are all really helpful. As ever, I am impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of HW users.

The organ I could get access to easily was certainly not an outstanding instrument, but perhaps has the advantage for a beginner that it's an extension/unit instrument of seven ranks, so the total number of pipes is modest for the number of stops. I doubt I will manage to make anything out of it that I would want to inflict on the rest of you, but we'll see. ;) If it comes out OK, I'll let you know.

Thanks again!
Ian

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs