It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:35 am

30 Variations on an Aria by J.S.Bach (OAM-Bosch/Schnitger)

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

aah

30 Variations on an Aria by J.S.Bach (OAM-Bosch/Schnitger)

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 11:18 am

I've released an album of my music recorded with the Organ Art Media Bosch/Schnitger Vollenhove organ. Some of the tracks were posted on Contrebombarde as I was making the recordings.

https://aaronandrewhunt.bandcamp.com/album/30-variations-on-an-aria-by-johann-sebastian-bach-full-album

Thanks to OAM for providing such a great instrument!

Best,
Aaron

ReinerS

Re: 30 Variations on an Aria by J.S.Bach (OAM-Bosch/Schnitge

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Congratulations on a nice project!

One comment regarding your bandcamp site though: You may want to give credit to the sample set or at least mention that it is not recorded on the real organ. You posted it here, but you omitted that information on the linked page. Also, why not use an image of the Vollenhove organ?

Best regards
Reiner

sesquialtera

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Thank you for this link !
Well done Bach-like pieces, impressive job !

OAM

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Hello Mr. Hunt,

you did a great job, of course, but please note that due to the OAM license agreement, no commercial recordings are allowed with the sets.
So please remove the purchase options on your site and please declare these recordings as produced with the virtual Bosch-Schnitger organ.

Thanks for your understanding
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

aah

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 5:22 pm

please note that due to the OAM license agreement, no commercial recordings are allowed with the sets. So please remove the purchase options on your site and please declare these recordings as produced with the virtual Bosch-Schnitger organ.

Hi Prof. Maier,

Thank you; I do know about the license, and you will see that there is no cost for the recording. Any money anyone wants to give me for it is not a charge, it is a donation. I am not selling the recording. So this is not against the license. I will add notice that it is a sampled instrument. Thank you again for making the sample set. It's absolutely wonderful.

Greetings,
AAH

aah

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 5:27 pm

ReinerS wrote:Congratulations on a nice project!
... why not use an image of the Vollenhove organ?

Thanks. The reason the image is of the Flentrop in Hamburg and not the Vollenhove is because the Flentrop image was used as the cover for the score (book) which has been published already for a couple of years. See https://zwillinge.zentral.zone/katalog?en#ZV986400 I was just making continuity between the score and the recording. Also, I took the picture of the Flentrop myself, and I did not want to use a photograph which doesn't belong to me. But I might change it.

Cheers,
AAH

OAM

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks for clarification.
Please continue with the exact declaration as virtual instrument productions.

The increasing number of commercial use with virtual organs is one of the reasons, that more and more organ committees unfortunately don't allow sampling of very famous organs.
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

aah

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 3:59 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by aah on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

OrganoPleno

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 12:57 pm

aah wrote:I was surprised to find that there is no language in that license specifically forbidding commercial recordings. It only says that published recordings of any kind are forbidden without special permission.

Let's think this one through carefully now. If Published Recordings of ANY KIND are explicitly FORBIDDEN... where do you see this as not forbidding "commercial recordings"? I guess it would work only if your "commercial recordings" are never PUBLISHED! But that would kind of defeat the purpose then, wouldn't it.

So it all comes back to "Special Permission". If you need it... Ask for it!

aah

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 11:53 am

[deleted]
Last edited by aah on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

sjkartchner

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 4:48 pm

aah wrote:
OrganoPleno wrote:Let's think this one through carefully now. If Published Recordings of ANY KIND are explicitly FORBIDDEN... where do you see this as not forbidding "commercial recordings"? I guess it would work only if your "commercial recordings" are never PUBLISHED! But that would kind of defeat the purpose then, wouldn't it.

So it all comes back to "Special Permission". If you need it... Ask for it!

So you are telling us now, that ALL published recordings are forbidden. But prof. Maier, you publish recordings regularly on Contrebombarde yourself. And so have thousands of other organists. So why is there no statement at the Contrebombarde website referencing your license stating under what conditions it is okay to publish these recordings? Otherwise you are violating your own license, aren't you? And so have hundreds of other organists already violated the license. Which would be absurd. If you want people to recognise your license agreement to the letter, as it seems you do, then it would be in your interest to clarify this situation for Contremombarde members. Otherwise, I'm sorry but all this is rather misleading.

Just an fyi, OrganoPleno is not Prof. Maier who responded in previous posts above as OAM.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

aah

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 5:00 pm

[deleted]

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall