It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 9:11 pm

Four English Organs Side by Side

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

Keys61

Four English Organs Side by Side

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Agnus_Dei (David) recorded "Air du Nord" on two instruments, as a comparison

Salisbury
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/7746

Hereford (first two chapters.... no Clarinet yet, so he used the Cor Anglais)
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/7747

I recorded the same selection, using similar registrations as Agnus_Dei

Willis Studio 80
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/7760

Haverhill Extended
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/7761

This allows you to hear the instruments "side by side"..... I think it shows they all have qualities that would "recommend" any or all of the organs presented. I wouldn't call it a contest, but a "viewing" to hear what sounds good to your ear, in each of the instruments.
Steve Schlesing

pat17

Re: Four English Organs Side by Side

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 2:51 am

This is a nice and fine exercise in itself! Indeed, the best would be to have the same organist recording this tune on the 4 compared instruments.

Now Hereford is complete, is there any possibility to compare Salisbury and Hereford on equal basis?

I must admit I was badly tempted to go and buy Salisbury after having heard the four recordings. Although demos recorded on Hereford previously heard made me think it to be the best Romantic / Symphonic English organ.

mashaffer

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Hmmm... I am not all that fond of the piece (no offense) but I think I prefer the Haverhill but I am not sure I can put my finger on why. Maybe the registration is fuller.

mike
If We The People refuse to hear the truth we will be ruled by liars.

Keys61

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 1:02 am

Hi all,
I'm glad some folks found this "little exercise" useful. I had fun putting it together. Since I don't own all four organs (I only have 2 and 2/3 of the 4...... you figure that out!), it would be hard for me to take this any further. I've really been enjoying learning the romantic English cathedral music, it's so nice to have the actual stops and "sound" that is called for in the scores.
I thought if I put together a midi file, and it could be registered on all four organs this could go one more step. But then I am reminded that each organ has its own acoustics, certain stops are found within different divisions on the various instruments........ the programing of the swell motors is not the same on each organ, etc, etc. And a blind test would be more "honest" where the organ being played is not named.
But I will leave that for another, who might like to "have a go" at it. My original intent was to show the beauty in each of the instruments, which I believe can be found in all four!

Thanks,
Steve Schlesing

Agnus_Dei

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi Steve!

Whadda we gonna do now, with Contrebombarde down?!? :?: :roll:

I'm lost... :cry: :wink:

Keys61

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 8:07 pm

It gives us time to practice, practice, and more practice....... but really I hope it is up soon, I do enjoy it greatly. Although my choir starts up tomorrow night, and I just found out today I have no paid soprano, she took a Wednesday night class at school, and just told me today. Rs$3t, reot$43@ Poop! College kids, what do I expect.
Steve Schlesing

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall