It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:42 am

Number of daily uploads

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

OAM

Number of daily uploads

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 1:02 pm

I would like to discuss, if the number of daily uploads should be limited, to give members a chance to be recognized for a while, who don't post so much.
Flooding the ConcertHall, as sometimes seen, thus crowding out a lot of single contributions within a short time is not fair IMHO.

I discussed that some times ago, having made myself not very popular, but I'm still not very pleased with it.
What are your opinions?
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

josq

Re: Number of daily uploads

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 2:06 pm

I can agree, but at the same time another feature should be implemented: presenting a playlist as a single entry.

For example, if you have recorded a piece consisting of 10 variations, you probably have 10 recordings. But posting 10 different entries is not ideal for the uploader, for the listener, for colleagues who see their contributions flooded, and for visitors that want a simple overview.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 2:09 pm

Well, I'm certainly not wanting to make any "unpopular" statements or have anyone look at me as so, but for starters if I could even get anything to upload to CCH in the first place it would be a big step in the right direction for me. As I reported yesterday, I have tried a few times as of late using different file formats, bit rates and so on and all to no avail, the files never appear. I was starting to wonder because of my poor playing if I've been banned from CCH! :P

I don't visit the site very often but I do notice on certain days the site seems to get flooded with new uploads and often by the same names, I personally don't have a problem with this but it does also make me wonder if this is why we fairly often hear of people having upload issues as the site is just simply bogged down with everyone trying to upload and perhaps there's a certain percentage of uploads that just never appear.

Limiting downloads would be a tough one to police unless it was set up that a user could only upload so many a week or a month or something like that. Me personally, I'm not looking for any accolades for my playing and don't upload to impress anyone or get attention and will never get any big compliments other than the "hey, you did an OK job on that one" and if so I'm fine with that. Sometimes I think it's just neat to be able to go to a website and hear yourself playing a song and you can share it with others. If you look through the list of songs uploaded, even for the players that don't upload often there is almost always a comment or two which tells me there are some people spending time on the site to listen to almost everything that gets uploaded, so I'm not worried about me or others being missed. I have a total of 4 or 5 uploads on CCH, 4 are of the same song, and even with that I think every one of them except for one had a nice comment or two which I appreciate.

I say upload all you want or don't want, I enjoy them all and if I have a certain player I like listening to like I do at home with my CD collection, I can always filter what player I want to listen to.

Marc

Patrick Larhant

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 3:33 pm

I agree with H. Maier's diagnostic. JOSQ's solution looks rather be seducing.

murph

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 7:16 pm

I find it highly objectionable that someone whose usage licence for HW sample sets requires individual permissions from himself for uploads anywhere can have a sulk about people uploading lots of instances from other sample set producers, who are happy with people to play their sets, warts with playing and all.
If uploading is restricted to the few favourite friends, then pay them more for the promotion to get them to contribute more!!

Don't try to penalise the genuine amateur uploader who, frankly, has far more to contribute than the "gifted" achademic who can only get one bunch of midi files together every 6 months or so, when cajoled to publicise a new release.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 11:57 pm

murph wrote:I find it highly objectionable that someone whose usage licence for HW sample sets requires individual permissions from himself for uploads anywhere can have a sulk about people uploading lots of instances from other sample set producers, who are happy with people to play their sets, warts with playing and all.
If uploading is restricted to the few favourite friends, then pay them more for the promotion to get them to contribute more!!

Don't try to penalise the genuine amateur uploader who, frankly, has far more to contribute than the "gifted" achademic who can only get one bunch of midi files together every 6 months or so, when cajoled to publicise a new release.

AMEN! :)

Marc

OAM

PostThu Mar 06, 2014 3:26 am

Thanks for the helpful and polite discussion.
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

dwood

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 am

Hi everyone,

We discussed the uploads limits issue before on this forum and decided not to implement them. Not much has changed since then. So, we will keep things as they are. You guys already mentioned most of the reasons.

Josq, that's an interesting idea about the playlists. We'll have a look at the feasibility of that.

Marc, if you've tried that many different formats with no success, then it's likely your internet service provider or a browser setting that is the problem. Mp3s are absolutely no problem to upload in any bit-rate.

I would try uploading a small mp3 file, say 2-3MB as a test. See what happens. You can always erase it later.

Many service providers are overwhelmingly biased for downloading rather than uploading. Do you have problems uploading large files to other websites as well? If so, you might want to check into upgrading your service or try going to the home of a friend who has high-speed a robust high-speed connection and upload it from there as a test.

If that doesn't work, drop me an email at darrylw@organworks.com and we'll work through it together.

Darryl

1961TC4ME

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Just a follow-up here to Darryl's reply.... I had been attempting the past few days to use my Zoom H1 recorder to do a live recording of my sound system and post it to CCH. The recorder in question is a pretty neat little unit that makes decent sounding recordings in both .wav and mp3 formats and in several different bit rates as well. I figured since others have uploaded live recordings like this that it should be no problem. Well, after a number of attempts using both formats and having no luck I decided to drop Darryl an email yesterday.

First off, like all else here, when it comes to getting help the response time is above and beyond even normal expectations, within about 15 minutes of sending my "I need help" email Darryl had responded. I ended up giving Darryl a call later, we had a nice talk and he walked me through what was likely the issue (the Zoom uses a different format of .wav and mp3) and this was the cause of the trouble. He made a suggestion to use Audacity, convert the files (export in .wav) and sure enough solved the problem and I was able to successfully upload my latest recording and is up and running on CCH.

A big thank you to Darryl and the others here for the help and advice, you guys rock! And, for anyone else that may be interested in one of the Zoom H1's for recording and uploading to CCH, now we know what to do! :D

Marc

pointyflute

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Marc,

Congratulations on solving the upload problem you've been having for quite some time. And now we all have another potentially useful piece of information.

One of the great things about life in Hauptwerk Land is the swift response to queries and problems.

I'll check out your Cromhorne en Taille when I get home tonight.

Cheers, Terry

EdoL

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 12:19 pm

OAM wrote:I would like to discuss, if the number of daily uploads should be limited, to give members a chance to be recognized for a while, who don't post so much.
Flooding the ConcertHall, as sometimes seen, thus crowding out a lot of single contributions within a short time is not fair IMHO.

I discussed that some times ago, having made myself not very popular, but I'm still not very pleased with it.
What are your opinions?

I agree with prof. Maier.
Ai do not object to an occasional clogging up, but some members do it time and again.
Dividing the uploads over several days gives other people a chance too.

Edo.

Sk8london

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 5:24 am

I agree with prof. Maier's sentiment on what the issues is, but I don't like the idea of a daily upload limit.
Having been "burried" in other's uploads myself I can share the mild frustration it may cause when your pieces goes unnoticed.

Sometimes you may wish to record a set of pieces and upload them in one go (set of 7 Preludes by XYZ etc) or sometimes maybe people just don't get the time or chance to upload their recordings for a while and when they finally sit dow to upload pieces it ends up being a (large) number of recordings rathern just two o three.

But this sometimes does also happen as a result of many users uploading just one or two pieces so I think there is more than just "issue" here.

I like the idea of listing uploads by play list rather than individual pieces.
Perhaps we could have a "set" feature in addition to play lists where the uploader can create his owns sets of recordings (i.e. "12 Fantasias by ABC" or "Baroque music on sample set EFG" etc) and uploads would be listed by those? Users can then still create their own play lists of individual recordings they like to bookmark for themselves.

Or perhaps give us a tab which lists uploads by user rather than by indivudal piece?
That way we can see who uploaded music in chronological sequence if if you click on the user name it takes you to listing of individual music pieces upload by the user in chronological sequence?

Just throwing in some thoughts and ideas :)

polikimre

PostSat Jul 05, 2014 1:15 pm

I don't see a problem with too many uploads. As long as the backend at CCH can stand up to the load, it is all fine. The number of daily uploads is still fairly low so that it is easy to skip what you don't want to listen to.

I have some queries set up that I subscribe to via RSS. If there is a new recording on any of my favourite sample sets or composers I'll know immediately and I can listen. I guess prof Maier would like to know if there is a new OAM recording: that is very easy to do. If he is unhappy with the fact that they are lost in the flood of other uploads, well, there is not much we can be done about it, eh?

Antoni Scott

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 10:56 am

A big thank you to Darryl and the others here for the help and advice, you guys rock! And, for anyone else that may be interested in one of the Zoom H1's for recording and uploading to CCH, now we know what to do! :D

Yes, Darryl is very helpful. It's too bad that I can't get the same help and support from others that created the Hauptwerk. It seems that I am on my own in this regard. The users manual is unhelpful. I am sure that it is possible to write instructions that someone like myself could follow.

Recently, I got rid of an old CD audio recorder that I used to create audio recordings directly from my Presonus headphone jack and then I took that CD and converted it to MP3 to upload to the web site. Unfortunately, I bought an MP3 recorder which Darryl tells me is the problem. I attempted to upload MP3 recordings but it was unsuccessful. I have been unable to figure out how to record using the built in recorder. To me, the built in recorder is not very user friendly. There is no indication of how much time I have been playing/recording as I am normally used to with a recording device. Also, the "play" button is always light grey and doesn't work. So I can't play back what I just recorded. I don't know what I am doing wrong and can't get any help to figure out why I can't get it to play.
Antoni

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 11:16 am

Hello Antoni,

I am not sure what you mean We are always replying to your emails and offering our help and have been doing so for *years*. I just checked and show at least 200 email exchanges between us over the years. I'd say we are quite good at replying to you!

The user guide is written as simply as it can be with step by step tutorial-like instructions on using each feature.

You are "stuck" on version 4.0.0 due to your operating system, that's not something we can assist with and we cannot keep supporting old versions of Hauptwerk unfortunately (especially when the new update is free for you). Technology moves forward so I'd suggest updating to Hauptwerk 4.1 and using the new recorder features which are like the good old fashioned tape decks with Play, Stop, Rewind, Fast-Forward controls which it seems you do know how to operate. If that means getting your computer software/hardware updated then you need to find someone that can assist with that since we do not offer computer services like that.

Sorry that you feel we offer you no support help, however for public record we've offered you technical support since 2008 when you first purchased Hauptwerk. You emailed us a question today about how to upload an MP3 to the CBB site and I forwarded that to Darryl since this is not a website we own or maintain. Please direct future questions about CBB to Darryl at Classic Organ Works since this is their website.

Thank you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO
Next

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall