It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:33 pm

Cannot Download

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

OrganoPleno

Cannot Download

PostSat Mar 08, 2014 12:42 pm

Hello! I was shocked by the Contrebombarde Website today on attempting to download a piece. The system refuses to let me do that unless I log in. This is a big disappointment. Naturally, as a contributing member, I have no difficulty logging in. But this makes it IMPOSSIBLE to share my posts with the casual-listening friend. Formerly, I could easily say just check this post to see what I've been up to. But not likely that any of them would want to actually become members just to see one post.

I guess I'll just have to by-pass the Website as a means of showing my music to others, and send it to them directly instead. Which of course means less exposure for everybody else's contributions, and for the wonderful on-line community that Contrebombarde has become.

telemanr

Re: Cannot Download

PostSat Mar 08, 2014 4:24 pm

I don't understand why a friend can't listen to what you post since one doesn't have to logon to listen to submissions.
Rob Enns

OrganoPleno

PostSat Mar 08, 2014 5:37 pm

telemanr wrote:I don't understand why a friend can't listen to what you post since one doesn't have to logon to listen to submissions.

I see that you are correct. It's just that I always download music before listening, so I'd forgotten that one can listen without downloading.

It IS a change in the website however, where downloading used to be freely available, and now requires a log-in, for unstated reasons.

pointyflute

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 8:51 am

You can download files from CCH using a browser plug-in like DownThemAll or DownloadHelper, whether you're logged in or not.

dwood

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:03 am

Hello everyone,

As you've noticed, we did change the site so that, to download pieces, you have to be logged in.

Users have been complaining about people downloading their pieces, and re-uploading them on other websites. Sometimes, they even claim that they recorded them themselves.

We wanted to be able to track downloads a bit better in instances like these. It will give the original uploader more leverage in proving that they were, in fact, the original producer of the work and give administrators more documentation to deal with abusers.

None of this affects being able to just listen online. You do not have to be logged in to listen.

Obviously, there are ways around this like there is around any technology. However, we thought we'd make it slightly less easy to do.

One assumption we did make was that the overwhelming majority of people listen online rather than downloading. Maybe a bad assumption. It would be interesting to know more about how people use the content both online and offline.

I'm interested also to know if this change is really going to be a problem or not.

Darryl

OrganoPleno

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 3:07 pm

dwood wrote:Users have been complaining about people downloading their pieces, and re-uploading them on other websites. Sometimes, they even claim that they recorded them themselves.

Thanks for explaining. This does make sense.

dwood wrote:It would be interesting to know more about how people use the content both online and offline.

For anything I really want to listen to, I download it on my Internet Computer and transfer it by Flash Drive to my Hauptwerk Computer with its excellent sound system. That one is NEVER on-line, both for security reasons and to minimize computing overhead. No need for anti-virus software and so forth.

If I don't know whether or not something is worth listening to, I can listen on my Internet Computer with its cheap desktop speakers. Works OK but cannot sound very good. If the sound if poor enough, interest stops right there. Otherwise, I'll download and listen properly, across the room.

pointyflute

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Darryl

Thanks for the explanation, which certainly makes sense. Given that logging on takes very little time, it shouldn't be a problem for members.

As far as listening goes, I do it online. I do download some pieces so I can find them more easily, but it's also quite easy to find pieces using the advanced search function.

Many thanks for all your work on CCH, which is a treasure trove we all appreciate.

Kind regards, Terry

dwood

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks for the feedback on how you use the site OrganPleno and Terry.

Rob, keen insight as usual! :D

Cheers,

Darryl

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall