It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:01 am

Guide to Used Macs for Hauptwerk

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

dwood

Guide to Used Macs for Hauptwerk

PostWed Mar 04, 2015 11:38 am

We have a new article up at "the Barde"

Guide to Looking for Used Macs for Your Hauptwerk System

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/home/view_cat/cat/3/sort/43/order/last_modified/limit/6

engrssc

Re: Guide to Used Macs for Hauptwerk

PostWed Mar 04, 2015 12:30 pm

Good basic article for new Mac users to be. thanks. Could be considered a must read esp useful in deciding between a PC or a Mac. Altho the MacMini isn't discussed, most of the info (logic as to why go with a Mac) is the same.

Not sure about finding a Mac on Craig's List. There is no guarantee against a rip off, DOA or such as there is with eBay. I know this would be a very rare situation, but in a recent headline, a couple were going to pick up a vintage car, (cash only) from an ad on Craig's List. When they arrived at the supposed pick up location, they were robbed and sorry to say killed. It was found out later that the "seller" didn't even have a car.

I had one experience where I bought and paid for an eBay item and after a while, it wasn't shipped, nor did the seller respond. Started a case with eBay, within 3 days, eBay refunded my purchase price plus shipping (and apologized, too). eBay has a (feedback) system where buyers can rate sellers as well as show how many sales a particular seller has made. At least it gives some indication as to a seller's integrity.

Rgds,
Ed

dwood

PostWed Mar 04, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi Ed,

Good points. I'm not exactly sure how you keep things like assault from happening... anywhere in life really. You could just as easily get shot on the way to a store for that matter. Using common sense and meeting in neutral, public places are always good ideas for transactions like these.

From the fraud point of view, making sure you only ever work in cash and in person is often the best way. Newer alternatives are things like using Paypal or Interac bank payments using your phone while meeting in person are relatively safe too.

You never, ever send money ahead of time. You never, ever send money by Western Union or equivalent.

Always do transactions in person.

As far as the Mac Minis go. I was pretty excited about the new ones. However, they regressed in their processor choices and they went to RAM that's soldered onto the motherboard. So, there's no, practical way to upgrade the new Minis.

The maxed out, previous generation Minis are pretty cool. They didn't have Thunderbolt ports (which is pretty useful for all sorts of things), and they max out at 16GB RAM. Other than that, they are pretty cool little beasties!.

You also mentioned eBay. eBay is great too. It's just that I find there to be more of a commercial mindset there. I didn't think your average joe goes there to sell things anymore. It's people looking to make a profit rather than people just getting rid of stuff. Those people also have to pay eBay a percentage of the sale which raises the price too. However, there are exceptions. They do offer nice consumer protections as you discovered.

engrssc

PostWed Mar 04, 2015 3:56 pm

dwood wrote:From the fraud point of view, making sure you only ever work in cash and in person is often the best way. Newer alternatives are things like using PayPal or Interac bank payments using your phone while meeting in person are relatively safe too.

Almost all eBay transactions are done via PayPal which originally was an eBay entity. And the seller has it pay that service fee also which, no doubt they figure into their asking price.

dwood wrote:As far as the Mac Minis go. I was pretty excited about the new ones. However, they regressed in their processor choices and they went to RAM that's soldered onto the motherboard. So, there's no, practical way to upgrade the new Minis.

Called an Apple marketing ploy to make more money.

dwood wrote:The maxed out, previous generation Minis are pretty cool. They didn't have Thunderbolt ports (which is pretty useful for all sorts of things), and they max out at 16GB RAM. Other than that, they are pretty cool little beasties!.

I bought 2 used MacMini's (Oct 2012) and they both have Thunderbolt ports, which, with an adapter, can be used for a monitor. In addition, they both have 4 - USB 3 ports. So as you say, really cool. 8) You may have seen a thread where I mentioned using 2 - Mac Mini's to "increase" the RAM, sort of. Not esp the cheapest way, but where I had a physical space issue, the Mini's served the purpose.

dwood wrote:You also mentioned eBay. eBay is great too. It's just that I find there to be more of a commercial mindset there. I didn't think your average Joe goes there to sell things anymore. It's people looking to make a profit rather than people just getting rid of stuff. Those people also have to pay eBay a percentage of the sale which raises the price too. However, there are exceptions. They do offer nice consumer protections as you discovered.

Yes indeed, many re-sellers have picked up stuff at garage or estate sales and haven't the foggiest idea about these items except for what the label on them says. Some do "research" and copy mfr's (right or wrong) info. So, yes, you do take a chance, but sometimes the seller's (lack of information) is good because they don't have a clue as to the value. Sometimes pictures of the item(s) show at least a vague bit. Some sellers don't even wipe off the dust and crud. :o

You may have noticed eBay scans communications between buyer and seller in an attempt to make sure no email addresses of phone numbers are exchanged which could lead to a sale (and lack of commission) outside of eBay. Another thing to observe is if the seller offers to take the item back and refund the purchase price. For small, cheap items, it isn't worth the time or effort to do anything except put the item out of it's misery and into the rubbish bin., :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostWed Mar 04, 2015 4:21 pm

I should probably post this under a different heading, but an issue that many MacMini owners have as a problem is that the start button is on the back panel of the Mini. There is at least a work around, altho not esp cheap either (what is these days) :o And that is a rack mounting tray for 2 Mini's when they are used as servers. I was reminded as one showed up on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301486417913?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Kinda clever. There is a lever device that when you push a front panel button, the lever system presses the start button on the back of the Mini. There is also an extension for a single USB port which plugs into one of the Mini"s USB port and thus makes a USB (extension) port available on the front. Also there is a small hole on the front panel inline with the LED pilot light if you care to check power on status.

This rack mount is for 2 - MIni's. I bought one and cut it in half and then hacked further by mounting a small 12 VDC (push) solenoid to operate the lever and thus be able to bury the Mini and still, with a 12 volt pulse, start the Mini. I did take some pictures during this hack, and will look for and post them (sometime).

Rgds,
Ed

dwood

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 9:05 am

Yeah. Those Sonnet Mac rack-mounts are great.

Really, aside from cost issues, the inability to boot Macs from an external switch (without voiding the warranty) is my only complaint about Macs.

The Sonnet racks do a lot to help get around this issue.

Having said that, if you're looking for a used Mac, if it's out of warranty, you can change the switch on a Mac Pro if you wanted to... not so easy on a Mini.

I'd be interested in seeing pics of your hack for sure.

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall