It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

live VS midi ...

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

sesquialtera

live VS midi ...

PostFri May 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Hello friends,

When uploading a file, we have to choose between live or midi.
I think it's a too limited choice : only two options !
I often wonder how and in which conditions a musical piece is recorded...

Here is a more detailed suggestion : The uploader could select beween 8 kinds of situations.

1- live performance with real audience in the Hauptwerk room, as a real organ concert.
2- live performance with relatives or family, intimate audience, (not sure it's easier than n°1 ! )
3- live performance, lonely player, no audience, at home in a quiet environment.
4- live performance, in several takes ( select the best take at the end)
5- live performance in several parts (parts joined afterwards with an audio editor)
6- live performance recorded in midi (cutting, pasting, correcting mistakes afterward if needed)
7- re-using a midi file from another musician, or made by oneself on another organ
8- using a midi file created by a sequencer or a score editor

Please, don't consider this as a ranking : I think every process in this list is interesting.
In my case, it's n°3, n°4, or n°5. (I don't wan't n°2 anymore, too stressful and disapointing !)
What do you think ?

sonar11

Re: live VS midi ...

PostFri May 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Way too complicated :)

Live = you (or some human) played the piece on your organ; it may have been processed later by adding additional affects (maybe a piano or oboe track is added, for example); but critically, the notes you played were not altered to reduce any mistakes made.

Midi = everything else.

josq

PostFri May 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Basically, the idea is that we should know what type of skill to acknowledge. Embarrassing to praise someones perfect playing style only to discover no human playing was involved...

But I agree with Sesquialtera that a binary distinction might be too limited. Some people reuse MIDI recordings of live performances uploaded by someone else, to demonstrate interesting registration possibilities on another sample set. Other people have painstakingly created MIDI files with transcriptions of orchestra pieces with a level of complexity that is not possible to achieve in a real performance. Those are entirely different skills and purposes, and should not be acknowledged in the same way.

TheOrganDoc

PostFri May 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Last Time I tried #2, "My organ Computer crashed, so there was no concerto". :wink:
After that restart, the organ has played every time ? ? ? :roll: I now know, not to try that again ! ! !
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

TheOrganDoc

PostSun May 06, 2018 7:10 pm

We invited a future new neighbor to visit our home, and my HW, Melitzer played perfectly, possibly even better than I ./ I guess that the prior problem, was one those "infamous" (Computer Quirks) ! ! ! :lol:

engrssc

PostSun May 06, 2018 10:21 pm

TheOrganDoc wrote:We invited a future new neighbor to visit our home, and my HW, Melitzer played perfectly, possibly even better than I ./ I guess that the prior problem, was one those "infamous" (Computer Quirks)

Computer quirk, what's that? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

TheOrganDoc

PostMon May 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi Ed,
All I can tell you is that a few times several weeks ago, whilst playing, MeliTzer's Monitor Screen decided to freeze, so that I could not make any voicing or other changes,,,,, But the loaded Organ P3/32, kept playing normally, "Please tell me what you would call that ?" Since then I have loaded and played the organ at least 6 times, and the problem has Gone ? ? ? :roll: Having been a Tuner & Tech, (I truly "Hate Intermittency") ! any ideas, will be appreciated. Best wishes, Mel

engrssc wrote:
TheOrganDoc wrote:We invited a future new neighbor to visit our home, and my HW, Melitzer played perfectly, possibly even better than I ./ I guess that the prior problem, was one those "infamous" (Computer Quirks)

Computer quirk, what's that? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall