It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

Easily changing volume on a whole division

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

banders1a

Easily changing volume on a whole division

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm

I have a number of sample sets, e.g., the Mt. Carmel Skinner where both the Swell and Choir divisions seem so very quiet/faint. Does anyone know of a way to easily change/increase the volume of an entire 'division'?

If this is not the correct forum to ask such a question, please also advise where I might seek an answer to this question.

Many thanks!
Brad

dhm

Re: Easily changing volume on a whole division

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 12:19 am

Assuming that these divisions are enclosed, have you configured the relevant swell shoes (aka expression pedals)?
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

banders1a

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 12:33 am

Thank for your reply!

Yes, the swell shoes have been configured and do work as expected. My concern is that still with the swell shoes in a entirely 'open position' the Swell division, e.g., is still too quiet. It is hard for me to imagine that in the real space in which these samples were taken, that the Swell division sounds so 'quiet' and unbalanced to the Great division, etc. I'm at a loss as to how to remedy this....thus I was looking to 'increase' the volume as-a-whole of the Swell division.....

josq

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 5:11 am

This is not easily possible within Hauptwerk at this moment, except for a few recent sample sets which have this option built in by default.

If you use DAW software like Reaper, you can route each division to a separate channel, and adjust the volume of each channel on the fly.

Otherwise, you have to adjust each rank of a division individually in the Hauptwerk voicing menu.

I suppose the sample set maker did a proper job, therefore the balance between the divisions will reflect the real situation. I would therefore recommend to consider why the original organ was voiced in such a way.

banders1a

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 2:32 am

Thank you for your suggestions and also confirming my 'fears' of easily adjusting divisional volumes. It is so unfortunate that the Swell and Choir divisions seem so very faint on the Mt. Carmel sample set in particular...almost unusable for me. I will try your suggestions of re-routing in lieu of re-voicing each rank...ugh!

Thanks again for your input...it is much appreciated!!!

jcfelice88keys

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Hello Mr. Bandersia,

It's not difficult at all to raise the volume of an entire division, if you don't mind globally adjusting the audio volumes of individual stops. It's usually a one-shot deal; after the change has been made, you only need to back up your custom changes and they are permanently raised for your individual instrument. In addition, the Mt. Carmel Skinner organ is not terribly large, so you can do the entire chore in less than 10 or 15 minutes even the first time.

Here's how to do it:
In the Hauptwerk tool bar with the Skinner Mt. Carmel organ up and running, you will notice the tab for Organ Settings. (It is located between General Settings and Design Tools tabs). Click on the Organ Settings, and select "Pipe and Rank Voicing" (on my computer, the Pipe and Rank Voicing option is the next to bottom choice).

You will then be in the Pipe and Rank Voicing window. Across the top of this screen you will see an area that says "Rank" (this is the one you want to work on for each stop), Layer (leave this alone) and Adjustment (of which the default adjustment is Overall amplitude, dB).

Upon clicking in the Rank window, you are presented with all of the stops in the Skinner organ. Hauptwerk makes this easy for you, because the stops are presented for you BY DIVISION(!). All of the stops beginning with zero, refer to the Pedal division; next all of the stops beginning with number #1 represent the Choir Division on the Skinner, and all of the #3's represent the Swell Division.

All you need to do is, within each stop you select, just go to the far left slider and increase all of the individual notes' volumes by, say +6dB. Then proceed, rank-by-rank, to increase all of the stops in each division by +6dB, and you are done!

Be sure to back up your changes by going to the Hauptwerk window, under "File", and select "Backup your Hauptwerk settings and personal data". The next time you start up the Mt. Carmel Skinner, these two divisions will be louder! Just be careful to leave the Pedal division and Great division alone, or the Swell and Choir divisions will still sound relatively too quiet.

Cheers,

Joe

P.S. My choice of +6dB was just an example. You could do it more or less than +6dB, but be consistent in your choice. If you hate the change, you can always reset all of the changes, or restart the instrument from a previous backup.

Erzahler

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Very helpful for everyone, thanks Joe.

banders1a

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 2:34 am

Joe,

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation...it worked beautifully. Please know my sincere appreciation for your thoughtful response!

Bradford

Return to Technical support