It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 am

Major update to Concert Hall

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

Stefanussen

Major update to Concert Hall

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 1:30 am

I've added some major new features to the Concert Hall:

- Each piece now has its own page where you can play music using the built-in flash player
- Page mentioned above includes a YouTube-like commenting interface where any registered user may comment/ask questions on any piece of music
- Users may choose to be notified via email when users comment on their music
- Contributors now have a description field for any additional information they may want to include about their music

Account page:

- Forgot password
- Change password
- Preference indicating whether or not you want to be notified via email of any comments on your music

As always, please let me know if you have any problems/comments/questions so I can continually improve the Concert Hall.

Also, I'm considering implementing a rating system (1-5 scale). I'm unsure of it because I want to encourage use of the site by beginners and talented organists alike. I would appreciate any feedback you may have regarding this.

Lougheed

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 5:19 am

I suspect that implementing a rating system would tend to discourage some submissions, especially from beginners.

Lawrence

giovdan

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 6:41 am

Hello,
great Stefanussen!
Thanks for your good work!

adri

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 8:51 am

Lougheed wrote:I suspect that implementing a rating system would tend to discourage some submissions, especially from beginners.

Lawrence

I ditto that sentiment.

NickNelson

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 10:02 am

Me too.

If someone really enjoys a performance they can leave a message saying so.

If an experienced performer wants to offer some gentle hints to a beginner they can do that too.

Having people rate perfomances on a five point scale doesn't appeal to me in any way.

Nick

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 10:09 am

Hello Rob,

Might you think about adding an area for users to specify whether or not their demos are mono or stereo? I've noticed some which were played in mono from a stereo sample set. This might help people be aware of why the sound is a bit different for those particular organs.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

adri

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 12:13 pm

What would be really nice if we could see already from the displayed works which one has comments and which doesn't (yet).

Stefanussen

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 3:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Brett & adri, both great ideas. I'll implement them shortly.

rumpus

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 6:41 pm

Thank you for the Concert Hall.

Would you consider implementing an option to show much more than 8 rows per page?

thanks

Stefanussen

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi rumpus, how many rows would you like to see displayed per page?

rumpus

PostSat Apr 19, 2008 8:48 pm

At least 20 I think would be better - it is easier to scroll down and see for example the whole output of a contributer rather than having to page through them. Some web sites default to 10 but allow say 20, 50 100 as an option.

You might have hundreds of tracks soon!
thanks again.

Stefanussen

PostTue Apr 22, 2008 1:07 am

I have added a couple of features requested by adri and Brett. The number of comments now shows up on the browse view, hopefully making it easier for people to follow comment threads. I have some more in the works that may make this even easier in the future.

Also, when creating and editing music, you may now specify whether the recording is mono or stereo.

MRGreenwood

PostTue Apr 22, 2008 5:50 am

Hi Stefanussen

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this site together. Seems to work a treat.

Martin G

Stefanussen

PostWed Apr 23, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi all, first, I just wanted to thank everyone who's uploaded their own songs to the site; we've got a great library established, and I hope it continues to grow!

A couple of things: I've been trying to stay on top of feature requests; I've added an option that will allow users to choose whether they want to see 10, 20, 50 (will probably change to 20, 50, 100 when the library grows a bit more).

Also, I've added some features in the last week that make it advantageous for every user of the site to create an account (I've tried to make it a short and painless process). Aside from being able to choose how many entries you want displayed per page, and have that saved in your user profile, you can also ask questions and leave comments on individuals uploads if you have an account.

I don't know if anyone else has been using this; but just as a reminder, the Concert Hall has an RSS 2.0 feed at http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/feed/ With the feed, you can be instantly notified whenever there are new items. I use the feed reader in Apple Mail, but you can use Google Reader, live bookmarks in Firefox, or any number of other feed readers.
Last edited by Stefanussen on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rumpus

PostWed Apr 23, 2008 10:42 pm

I have registered. Thanks so much for this wonderful service.
Next

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall