It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

Flash Player 10 and LAME MP3

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

Stefanussen

Flash Player 10 and LAME MP3

PostSat Oct 25, 2008 2:06 pm

Just a quick heads up, I've determined that the new Flash player 10 can not play some MP3 files without massive amounts of distortion. I do not have the resources to to exhaustive testing, but I'm fairly certain the problem is the LAME MP3 codec (this could also be a Mac only issue).

This has affected a some of the files on the Concert Hall. All of my (and some other's) uploads are compressed with LAME, and therefore are distorted when played with the flash player. I will continue to look into solutions. For now, if you are experiencing this problem, I would suggest clicking on the "Download" button for the songs to play them back with something other than Flash.
Rob Stefanussen

Don

PostSun Oct 26, 2008 5:36 am

Hi Rob

I'm running Windows XP and have the same distortion on some selections. I've noticed that the distorted ones have a very slow download speed and it seems what you're hearing has lots of data missing. Don't know why some are consistently slow and others are fine.

Don.

Stefanussen

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 1:57 am

Alright - I've figured out what it is: It's a known bug with Flash Player 10, and is currently in internal review. It has nothing to do with LAME MP3 (sorry, my mistake). It has to do with the bitrate. Anything above 44KHz gets distorted. So I'd recommend keeping that in mind when you're doing your encoding - at least until this gets worked out.

https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-862
Rob Stefanussen

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall