It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:28 pm

Contrebombarde and 'find an instrument near you'

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

GDay

Contrebombarde and 'find an instrument near you'

PostThu Mar 05, 2009 8:55 pm

Hello all,

Having signed up as having an instrument near you, I promptly forgot that I had done so until last Friday when not one, not two, but three people contacted me to view my set-up. Each was welcomed to come when they wished, and one enthusiastic gentleman arrived that very afternoon.

It was a real treat! I got to explain (badly) how I had set up my system, and I got to demonstrate (badly) the sample sets I owned. My guest did not seem to mind ineptness, asked lots of questions, and took lots of pictures. Then I invited him to play at his leisure. I figured my lousy playing must have put him at his ease - surely anything would be better than my offerings. In a trice, out came his music books, and he sat down to play.

Well, first off, what fun it was to see and hear someone playing with my creation, what fun it was to share. He played while I suggested manual changes and he asked for various registrations.

If you are like me, I usually settle into my preferred registrations, with someone else at the console, that mind set gets broken, so I got to hear and enjoy many pieces I had never heard before, with stops I had barely listened to.

I must say I had a good time, so I thank Contrebombarde for this opportunity, and I encourage others to take advantage of 'instruments near you'.

G'Day

James

PostThu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 pm

I travel a lot, and it would be great if it would be possible to find Hauptwerkians through this locater while on my trips. As it is, it would seem that it is only able to find within 500 miles of my home location.
James

Stefanussen

PostThu Mar 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi G'Day, thanks so much for sharing that story. I'm very glad that you got some good use out of the feature (it definitely took some doing in terms of programming!).

I too have found it to be very satisfying to let others play at my "creation" as you so elegantly put it. I've had a couple professional organists sit down at my organ bench, and I enjoy seeing them light up when they hear the out-of-this-world sound of the Metz or the PAB. They always sit down, play a few notes, and then there's this "WHOA" moment. One of them said "The only problem with this organ is that it's not in my living room."
Rob Stefanussen

JimB

PostFri Mar 06, 2009 12:14 pm

I agree with James. When I travel, it would be great to meet other Hauptwerk users. This includes North America and Europe.

Jim

dhm

PostFri Mar 06, 2009 12:27 pm

JimB wrote:I agree with James. When I travel, it would be great to meet other Hauptwerk users. This includes North America and Europe.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Next time you're anywhere Rochester, England, feel free to visit with the first UK importer of TX wines, and try his HW set-up.
(And where is League City, TX?)

Regards,
Douglas.

JimB

PostFri Mar 06, 2009 12:34 pm

Between Houston and Galveston, close to Galveston Bay.

Jim

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Mar 06, 2009 2:03 pm

"The only problem with this organ is that it's not in my living room."

The one I hear at my place after a demo is: "The only problem is that I must first sell my Rodgers/Allen that I paid $XX thousands a few years ago, knowning I will only get a few thousands for it :-( "

PeterB

PostSat Mar 07, 2009 3:58 pm

Well, if anybody is in Stockholm, Sweden and would like a demo of either Hauptwerk and/or the SakralorgelWelt Consolo 372, you're very welcome.

stephen robertson

viewing an instrument

PostSat Mar 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Am based in Glasgow, Scotland and very happy to show any visitors my Hauptwerk set up. I have the Metz and the Silbermann from Rotha plus the smaller Wurlitzter. The Metz tends to almost literally blow people away.
Stephen

imcg110

PostSat Mar 07, 2009 7:15 pm

And I am based in Helensburgh - Hi Stephen!!!
Someone is also listed in Drymen - we could start a local Scottish club :-)

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall