It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:44 am

Concert Hall hijacked by TPO fans?

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

jocr

Re: Concert Hall hijacked by TPO fans?

PostSun Oct 17, 2010 9:26 am

dwood wrote:We can also allow users to make a distinction between Live, MIDI files personally created, and other.

Rather than increase the filters, perhaps you could automate the way prolific contributors like myself can prune their submissions. Right now, my goal is a programming statement:

"delete all tracks with 0 comments made by jocr"

To do that I search to jocr, highlight all "0 comments", decide whether there is any value to the forum contributed by that track, delete it, okay the delete, and receive an unsorted list that has to be filtered, searched and removed one at a time.

James Pressler

telemanr

PostSun Oct 17, 2010 10:02 am

Just a thought but when I don't comment it doesn't mean I'm not enjoying a piece or that it doesn't have value.
Rob Enns

jocr

PostSun Oct 17, 2010 10:09 am

telemanr wrote:Just a thought but when I don't comment it doesn't mean I'm not enjoying a piece or that it doesn't have value.

Understood. It's not about feelings of low self esteem on my part, it's just clearing room for the next generation without their own websites, and maybe teaching them to evaluate their own submissions from a different perspective. If you've ever gone through your attic or closets preparing to move (or move on) you know what I mean.

Also, in my case, the first comment on a CB track is often my own with registrations that won't fit in the description window, places to get free scores or to purchase my MIDI files.

There is another factor I just realized: people link to ContreBombarde performances (I do so myself). So it is better not to delete tracks.

Best regards to all,
James Pressler
Last edited by jocr on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BarryG

PostMon Oct 18, 2010 9:28 am

James, I also seldom comment but often enjoy, and especially appreciate your posting registrations. Your MIDI files are high on my "to-do" list shortly after I get V4 up and running.

I suppose another enhancement option might be for tabs for each of the genres. I'm also just curious as to what constitutes a "Listen" -- starting to listen, listening all the way through, listening to the end?

Barry Gerken

dwood

PostMon Oct 18, 2010 9:28 am

Hey James,

You are always free to remove and edit your online collection by clicking on the piece when you're logged in. There is a "delete" link at the top of the page.

I don't want to automatically delete anything on CB. The longer it goes on, the more valuable resource the site becomes. If the pipe organ community continues to dwindle, as it has done, this will be a wonderful, grassroots repository of people playing wonderful instruments.

In the meantime, I think CB becomes an ambassador for expanding the pipe organ community by promoting Hauptwerk and allowing the sounds of pipe organs to become more portable and used in many contexts not associated with "church" per se.

dwood

PostMon Oct 18, 2010 12:20 pm

BTW. There have been more than 3500 uploads to CB since the site opened. Thanks everyone for your contributions. What a resource of organ music it is. You should be proud.

jocr

PostMon Oct 18, 2010 12:45 pm

dwood wrote:BTW. There have been more than 3500 uploads to CB since the site opened. Thanks everyone for your contributions. What a resource of organ music it is. You should be proud.

By comparison, it took Virtually Baroque 10 years to get 3358 tracks up. http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.virtuallybaroque.com
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://contrebombarde.com

James Pressler
Last edited by jocr on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jocr

PostWed Oct 20, 2010 7:59 am

BarryG wrote:... I'm also just curious as to what constitutes a "Listen" -- starting to listen, listening all the way through, listening to the end?

Barry Gerken

I share your puzzlement about what constitutes a listen. There are many reasons to stop listening besides dislike: boredom, curiosity about some other features of ContreBombarde, an external link (in my later posts I added a "_new" attribute to my external URLs, but most of them still stop the music).

James Pressler

amateurorganist

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 5:27 am

I really enjoyed the Fairground Organ music. Yet another way of Hauptwerk broadening my appreciation of all things related to the organ!

I have to agree with some people though, concerning MIDI files. I have no problems with those created by real musicians but there are some that have been 'typed in', rather than a 'recorded performance' and they sound like it with it's rigid 'perfect' tempo, no proper phrasing and 'wooden' sounding ornaments.

Considering that this is a concert hall perhaps we should discourage these sort of files? I really wouldn't want to go to a recital or concert and have someone coming on to the stage to press a button, then to go off again and expect us to listen to a MIDI file, rather than a real performance.

gingercat

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 6:24 am

As for MIDI files, fair enough, don't flood the place with them, but it is unfair to suggest they shouldn't be allowed. Not everyone is a virtuoso organist that can churn out perfect live performances, some may feel more comfortable working away trying to get the sound they're looking for using MIDI files. I'd say if you've just downloaded it from the web and assigned stop changes to it, don't bother, if on the other hand you've hand crafted it, or have put a lot of work into getting the expression right etc., it has just as much right to be heard as a "live" performance.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

amateurorganist

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 1:03 pm

gingercat wrote:I'd say if you've just downloaded it from the web and assigned stop changes to it, don't bother, if on the other hand you've hand crafted it, or have put a lot of work into getting the expression right etc., it has just as much right to be heard as a "live" performance.

I would concur with this.

TheOrganDoc

PostTue Nov 16, 2010 11:24 pm

I agree only as stated below.

1/ If Midi files are from a hand played performance,
would it be possible to tell it from a live performance recording ?

2/ We have been told that Hauptwerk 4.00 will have live Midi recording and playback capability,
not affected by our own settings !

I hope that this will soon provide many "Midi" files of fine Live classical, and Theater performances,
that we can reproduce on our own HW 4.00 Organs.

3/ The recordings were "very good reproductions" of the sound of
"Mechanical played Band Organs",
"most definitely not Theater Pipe Organ Music" !

4/ I TOTALLY RESENT the statement, "Concert Hall hijacked by TPO fans,
"That Is Absolutely Untrue" ?

Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Fazioli

PostWed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Wow that was fun!!! now I have to think of something else to hijack the contrebombarde website with...
I'm thinking of recording sixty or so music box pieces, using only the glockenspiel from the POW 3-10.
Anyone interested??

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Nov 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Fazoli,

I'm glad you enjoy annoying others,
just proves what you're mental age is :lol: !
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

imcg110

PostFri Nov 19, 2010 1:12 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall