It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:04 pm

Sharing Registrations

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

phillyorganist

Sharing Registrations

PostSun Jul 31, 2011 10:34 am

I'm wondering if there could be an easy way for someone posting a piece on Contrebombarde to include a file with the registration for the piece on the selected organ, such that the viewer with a HW setup could "import" the registration file into his own HW setup to use the same registration.

Often, I find myself enjoying a particular piece simply for the registration selected by the organist, and have to ask what the registration is. If the organist could somehow post the file containing the registration from HW to his Contrebombarde post, we could all access the registration and import it into our own HW organ. There could be a link on the Contrebombarde post entitled "Registration."

Any thoughts?

Jim
Jim

MBar

Re: Sharing Registrations

PostSat Aug 13, 2011 10:30 am

Just by coincidence, I got recently ( yesterday) :shock: into similar problems after reading the post of Captain 777 in another haupwerk sub-forum. Thanks to the Stefanussen answer, I downloaded several midi files. However, I expected to find some info on the chosen registration at least hidden in the MIDI code and I tried unsuccesfully until now to find in the web some code to read in clear a MIDI file to see if such info on registration is included in the MIDI file. In addition to the pleasure to hear pieces played by professionals or so, that I am not, this can be useful to tune the various stops of a given organ.
Michel

jocr

PostSun Aug 14, 2011 1:03 pm

This will never be fully transparent given the huge variety of organs available to us. Registration is a strange art, more like cooking by taste rather than from a recipe book. It can be learned but is easier if transmitted by a teacher or from documented registrations. I have done my best to document my choices in a variety of forms, from screen captures to abbreviation forms to verbal summaries in my unregistered MIDI files.
http://www.virtuallybaroque.com/midinstr.htm

James Pressler

MBar

PostMon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 am

Thank you James for this info.
Michel

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall