It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

CCH Playlists -- Some Thoughts

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

John Murdoch

CCH Playlists -- Some Thoughts

PostTue Nov 29, 2011 7:38 pm

Rob mentioned, on another thread, that he was thinking about enhancing playlists on CCH. I thought I'd contribute some thoughts--

1. Temporary playlists
CCH Playlists now are data elements--they persist. A number of playlists appear to be the result of a user saying "hmm..I wonder what this is about..." and add a piece or two. And that playlist lives on, forever, or at least until the original creator comes back and deletes it. (And who would delete it otherwise? That could be a playlist with the One True Song that the creator really, really loves.)

Consider a new data structure that would associate a temporary playlist with a specific user. Assuming you have a database structure underneath this, I'd guess you have a couple of tables:

tblPlaylist
PlaylistID
PlaylistName
CreatorID
Comments
InsertDate
LastEdited

tblPlaylistRecording
PlaylistID
RecordingID
InsertDate

Let me suggest that you modify the tblPlaylist schema:

tblPlaylist
PlaylistID
PlaylistName
CreatorID
Comments
IsPrivate
ExpirationDate
InsertDate
LastEdited

When you retrieve the playlists for a given user, you retrieve two lists--the public playlist recordset, and that user's private playlist set; then you UNION them together. Private playlists can have an expiration date--so I can create a quick playlist as the result of a search, and automatically delete the list at the end of the day.

It would also be really cool to be able to download an entire playlist. There are lots of times where I have to drive a long distance, and I'd love to stuff my MP3 player full of good music. (Search condition: practically anything uploaded by Grandjeux.) Now I have to download everything one piece at a time--it would be much nicer to be able to create a list, play the list from CCH, and download it.

(It's so nice to offer ideas for somebody else to code--rather than doing my own work...)

dwood

Re: CCH Playlists -- Some Thoughts

PostFri Dec 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback John. Some interesting ideas there.

We're pretty under resourced at the moment on the development side (see viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9568&p=69836#p69836)

We'll be talking about features and what we can actually afford to implement in the next month or so.

Darryl

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall