It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

Cant' there be a EASIER way to upload....???

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Grant_Youngman

Re: Cant' there be a EASIER way to upload....???

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 am

jbittner wrote:Right Martin. Thanks, I was addressing the ability of BBCode [IMG] tags to resize too large images. Works elsewhere, doesn't work here. Some software gives the administrator the ability to customize the html BBCode generates from its tags. As you say, it appears the resize option is not supported by this site.

Clearly, it isn't.

I believe the HW forum is run using phpBB. There is a lot of discussion on the phpBB 3.x message boards about this feature. Image resizing is not supported by the BBcode parser used by phpBB. It could of course be added .. but ..

Given how straightforward it is to resize an image so it's 640px wide max BEFORE putting it up on a message sharing service and then imbedding it in a post (ok, once you learn how to do all that), then it would seem there's more bang for our collective buck to have programming resources devoted to the next HW release rather than fiddling with modifying/adding BBcode tags and the supporting services to do resizing.
Grant

NickNelson

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 4:21 pm

For what it's worth, I've been trying, off and on, for several months to replace my posted images (including trying imgur) without success. I had previously considered myself reasonably literate in such matters.

Nick

Grant_Youngman

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 7:29 pm

So I apologize in advance for the image not being organ related. it's what I had handy, and is related to what I do the rest of the time.

The original image was 3273x2182. I imported the image into my photo app (Adobe Lightroom), adjusted exposure and exported a copy of the image to my desktop specifying the width to be 640px. I browsed to Flickr and logged in. I uploaded the 640px version of the photo to my Photostream, and then "shared" it. One of the sharing options is BBcode. I copied the HTML/URL it gave me, and pasted it into THIS post. Total time — I don't know. Almost nothing. It took a lot longer to type and spell check this post than it did to post the image.

ImageIMG_9099-3 by GrantHY, on Flickr

The slight downside is that Flickr also puts up other identifying information related to the photo and my public Photostream, but that can be quickly edited out. I was in a hurry and didn't do it.
Grant

magnaton

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Grant_Youngman wrote:The original image was 3273x2182. I imported the image into my photo app (Adobe Lightroom), adjusted
exposure and exported a copy of the image to my desktop specifying the width to be 640px. .

Hi Grant:

If you recall my earlier post in this thread:
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16686#p125622'

You could have loaded your photo in its original size as Flickr gives you the option on which size you want to post at when requesting the BBCcode. Notice "Medium" is 640 X 480.

This is a nice step saving feature of not having to reduce the image to the correct size before uploading! I then followed your remaining steps by pasting the entire URL (already highlighted in blue) into a text editor (Notepad), copy all the BBC code between the IMG and /IMG tags then paste the HW Forum editor. Done. :-)

Danny B.
Last edited by magnaton on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grant_Youngman

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 8:42 pm

magnaton wrote:You could have loaded your photo in its original size as Flickr gives you the option on which size you want to post at when requesting the BBCcode. Notice "Medium" is 640 X 480.

You're right about that. My photos are all in Camera RAW, so I have to export from Lightroom to get a JPG to upload to Flickr anyway. Half-dozen of one to … well you know :-)

Either way, it's straightforward, and either works.
Grant

jbittner

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 9:55 am

Grant_Youngman wrote:Given how straightforward it is to resize an image so it's 640px wide max BEFORE putting it up on a message sharing service and then imbedding it in a post (ok, once you learn how to do all that), then it would seem there's more bang for our collective buck to have programming resources devoted to the next HW release rather than fiddling with modifying/adding BBcode tags and the supporting services to do resizing.

Straightforward? Maybe, but certainly not convenient, which is the OP's complaint. I do agree, though, that programming resources are better spent on issues other than this.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

B777Captain

PostSat Jul 07, 2018 1:47 am

Good Gracious...

It's just amazing the things all of you have had to do... just to simply put a photo on this forum!

I'll say it again... Wheres the paper clip ease of doing that without all multi iterations all of you are talking about???

I mean, this company can go to the most impressive, amazing cathedrals in the Europe and America and quite literally bring them into our collective living rooms.. the exact, identical sound one would hear actually visiting that particular cathedral. YET............................ It's so convoluted to simply post a photo of my setup.

Am I missing something here? It's obvious I'm not the only one here who is frustrated.

Can we PLEASE add this feature to a future upgrade of HW in general??? Just a SIMPLE PAPER CLIP!!!

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

engrssc

PostSat Jul 07, 2018 3:31 am

Hauptwerk, MDA, AFAIK, is not directly the problem. It's the Forum web hosting service. OTOH, the web service has been chosen by MDA. I frequently look at other forums and many have no such picture/drawing issues. Personally, I don't have time to do all that is required to post a picture here. :mrgreen:

Rgds,
Ed

josq

PostSat Jul 07, 2018 10:40 am

I agree that something should be done to solve this issue. For example, sometimes it is really helpful to upload a screenshot.

Grant_Youngman

PostSat Jul 07, 2018 3:53 pm

It takes a couple of minutes.

Upload your image (photo, screen shot, whatever) to a photo hosting service (I use FLICKR, which is free, unless you start using it like a teenager in a trout-lips Snapchat frenzy). "Share" the image, which provides a link that you "copy" (you don't even have to "select" it … it's done for you). Post the copied link to your forum message. Like magic — it works every time.

I appreciate the issue, and also appreciate why the HW forum doesn't want to store the images you want to post. It is not hard.
Grant

RichardW

PostSun Jul 08, 2018 7:10 am

I can sympathise with both sides here.

I have occasionally wanted to make a quick point with a diagram. I found something suitable using an internet search then could not post it because it was too big. At that point I gave up.

The other way is to copy the picture, make it smaller using a graphics program then post it somewhere on the internet where you can link to it.

The other option is for this forum to host the pictures for you. Yahoo Answers can do that. You just provide a link, either local or web, and it will upload it. The issue is how much space those pictures will consume. The Web space required by this forum will explode. A picture can easily be a megabyte. That is a whole paperback book of words! Brett would need to put his prices up.
Richard

eivind

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:18 pm

I think the best way to this is to buy some private web space. This way you'll be in charge of your stuff and it will be available to your friends as long as you like.

sonar11

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 11:13 am

eivind wrote:I think the best way to this is to buy some private web space. This way you'll be in charge of your stuff and it will be available to your friends as long as you like.

I agree with you, 100%, it's the better option if you have the knowledge to do that... but remember that if users are having difficulty with posting images here on this forum, then "private web space" may as well be saying "just wave your magic wand". No offense to these users of course, we all have our own skills and talents (I can't fly an airplane!), but experts in a field can quite often forget how "normal" people interact inside that field.

engrssc

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 11:25 am

sonar11 wrote:"normal" people interact inside that field.

Something like the farmer who is out standing in his field? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Antoni Scott

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi Pat:
I thought it was only me that gave up on trying to upload images. I don't understand how in this age of such user friendly software programs that for a decade this has been a cumbersome excersize. Everywhere else (Facebook, Youtube, etc) its an easy drag and drop upload of an image. Upload you pictures on Facebook, its easy. I would like to see them.
PreviousNext

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems