Search:
Submit Search

My Console Project almost complete

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...

Re: My Console Project almost complete

Postby M. Qualley » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:35 am

Jeffery,

MDA would love to post your organ on our Hauptwerk Facebook page after V is released. It is beautiful.

No pressure. I would want to give you credit of course.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

M. Qualley
Site Admin

Postby jcrowley » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:18 am

I noticed in one photo your Launchpad has a custom skin on it. Very nice. I like the logo and the well defined functions. Can you share how you did that? Launchpad labeling as been a passing topic in the past.

Oh, nice job on your console. The burled wood blank piston rails look sharp!

I see by the response below...that you have discovered one of the methods below. I wish I had a Cricut it would have made the process so easy.

I used Vinyl from Brilliant Vinyl company https://www.brilliantvinyl.com along with a clear acrylic cover. It is just for inkjet printers but the results are very good. Alas, I had to cut mine out one-by-one by hand. I did the graphic work on CorelDraw®. I made the caps on the buttons slightly smaller than 0.5" so there is a border - just to show off the flashiness. The skin also done on CorelDraw®. This looks to be quite permanent as you can purchase "permanent" vinyl. I may have to redo several covers because being outside in the garage during Wisconsin weather three have become "unsticky" and you have to compensate for the tactile "dimples or jewels" which apparently helps one "orient" your hand as in playing the Accordian or typing on a keyboard.

I did originally want clear but I cannot see them out of the corner of my eye.
jcrowley

Postby jcrowley » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:22 am

M. Qualley wrote:Jeffery,
MDA would love to post your organ on our Hauptwerk Facebook page after V is released. It is beautiful.
No pressure. I would want to give you credit of course.
Let me know.
Thanks,
Michelle

First of all Welcome Aboard!

Thank you for your compliment and yes you can use my console for FB - I should have most of the computer finished this week, just waiting for better CPU fans and Case Fans to arrive - perhaps today? Then it would only be a couple of days before everything gets put together for a "glam shot".

Jeffery
jcrowley

Postby M. Qualley » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:39 pm

Great! No rush!

Thanks,
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

M. Qualley
Site Admin

Postby jcrowley » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:17 am

dw154515 wrote:[quote="magnaton"
Danny,
Since you talked me into messing with the Launchpad Mini, I've discovered that I can use my wifes Cricut machine to do such skins and labels. I worry about the longevity of the adhesive to those rubbery buttons, though. Maybe a touch of glue?

I wouldn't use any glue at all. The keys are made of Silicon and unless you used a Silicon specific product you could end up damaging the keys permanently.
I purchased "permanent" Vinyl and with the clear covering it seems pretty durable. Like I had said...I never really used a combination system before so it is not like I'll be stabbing aimlessly at random buttons!

Oh BTW - I cannot believe how flawless Hauptwerk was with finding the device and in about 4 minutes flat, I had it programmed! Insane! Thanks Martin, Brett and the Novation people!
jcrowley

Postby engrssc » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:37 am

Agree, considering what that box can do as well as how easy it is to set up, Aside from issue of labeling the keys, it's really neat.

I've used those labels I mentioned above for over one year with no problems.

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Postby jcrowley » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:53 pm

I have just added some final pictures - The Computer (which I just successfully completed).

I have been working since November 17th, on building and loading the computer. It went fairly smooth but there were several hours of anguish mostly with Windows 10 PRO and the Focusrite - Saffire. I had to purchase a different Firewire card - this one from IOCrest. 1394a and 1394b Combo Interface. Then it took two days of fighting with Windows to set the compatability mode to Windows 8.

In the mean-time, I had procured a motherboard exactly like mine and purchased one more processor that matches the Xeon.

Problem was the entire North Bridge would not light up - in fact when I placed the processor in the CPU well, Zero post, zero boot. After taking everything apart I discovered that the North CPU well had what looked like spitball paper embedded in the pins. I gingerly cleaned out what I could with one of my oil paint "Erasing Brushes". I got it cleaned up without damaging any pins but I could not get the residual debris out of the well. I did attempt to load everything again with just the CPU's Connected. This time it booted but would not post.

Thankfully someone in Oregon had just decommissioned a server with an exact match to my motherboard. It took me one whole day to disassemble and put the board in my computer case.

I was totally amazed. Everything lit up - so now I have 8 Cores, 16 processors, 160GB RAM with two more Sticks on the way.

Now to get the computer installed in my console. I have several more Grommet holes to drill in order to accommodate all of the cabling and cords.
jcrowley

Postby engrssc » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:04 pm

jcrowley wrote:I have just added some final pictures -

Where are they?

Rgds,
Ed
engrssc

Previous

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems