It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

4 Manual Console - Build in progress

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

jwillans

Re: 4 Manual Console - Build in progress

PostFri Apr 06, 2012 8:26 am

cvmoreau wrote:I thought from the earlier photos that there would be no music stand. I was really curious about that. But, wow, how beautiful! This has to be one of the nicest home built consoles I've ever seen. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Many thanks for your kind words - they are appreciated.

The past few weeks have been slow going due to other commitments. I am having some difficulty with the pedal board contacts (as I''ve reported elsewhere on the forum), but I have managed to build the PC which is based on an i5 2500K processor and a couple of Crucial M4 SSD. Remaining jobs then are to get the pedal board contacts working, replace the potentiometers on the expression pedals and wire the toe pistons. Here is a picture showing the console displaying the St Annes stop jambs.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/20120323121936.jpg/

(note I cannot post thumbnails - the forum is reporting "Cannot determine size of image" (even when I try and preview previous posts in this thread with images that worked before)

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Apr 06, 2012 12:08 pm

jwillans wrote:(note I cannot post thumbnails - the forum is reporting "Cannot determine size of image" (even when I try and preview previous posts in this thread with images that worked before)

Hello James,

I think this is due to how Imageshack handles links to photos hosted on their site.

When you insert the URL of your photo in the the address bar it doesn't just bring up the photo, rather it brings up the entire Imageshack web page which of course isn't a valid image format. You will probably need to try using the Direct Link offered on the Imageshack page rather than the link you used due to this:

Screen Shot 2012-04-06 at 1.04.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-06 at 1.04.06 PM.png (25.51 KiB) Viewed 15452 times

I can't test this since I don't have an Imageshack account and it requires logging in to be able to copy that link.

Let us know if you can try that if that works or not. If not you may need to contact Imageshack to determine why since there isn't anything we can do about that from our end without possibly modifying the forum software which we don't want to do.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Also see this post:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9797#p72864

This uses Flickr for the host, so I am not sure if there may be similar permissions or settings with Imageshack.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

jwillans

PostFri Apr 06, 2012 5:26 pm

B. Milan wrote:
jwillans wrote:(note I cannot post thumbnails - the forum is reporting "Cannot determine size of image" (even when I try and preview previous posts in this thread with images that worked before)

When you insert the URL of your photo in the the address bar it doesn't just bring up the photo, rather it brings up the entire Imageshack web page which of course isn't a valid image format. You will probably need to try using the Direct Link offered on the Imageshack page rather than the link you used due to this:

Hi Brett - Thanks for looking into this. The link I was trying to paste does resolve to a thumbnail:

Code: Select all
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/20120323121936.jpg/][img]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4222/20120323121936.th.jpg[/img][/url]]

Which is strange since this is exactly the same method that I have used for all other thumbnail images in this thread. If I go back to one of my early posts and perform an "edit" followed by a "preview" I now get the "Cannot determine size of image" error message again. This couldn't have happened first time around since I wouldn't have been able to make the posts. Since the images haven't changed, I can only assume this message is due to either a change in the imageshack site or to the forum. In any case it is no big deal. Thanks again.

James

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Apr 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Hello James,

There have been no changes made to the forum, so I presume there must be something going on with the Imageshack settings. Probably best if you contact them to determine what that may be. Sorry I cannot be of further help.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Organorak

PostSat Apr 07, 2012 8:25 pm

I use Imageshack to host my pictures - youy need to click "share it", the first little round icon with an "i" in it next to the thumbnail images on your Imageshack homepage, it will give you the url which you then insert between [img]and[/img] on this forum. No problems so far, though always back up photos before putting online, these hosting companies do go AWOL sometimes taking all your pictures and the links to other forums with them.

jwillans

4 manual console - update

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 2:31 pm

I posted details of the original build of my 4 manual console back in 2012 in this thread:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10009

I have recently completed a set of upgrades and thought you might be interested to see these.

Firstly I have had a new organ bench built which makes a nice difference when playing. You can see the bench and the console in the following picture:

Apart from the bench, the organ doesn't look very different from the original thread, but major changes have taken place. The computer has been upgraded to have a 1TB SSD and 32GB ram allowing me to install bigger sample sets beyond St Anne's and Salisbury.

The main change that has taken place is the installation of an elegant optical keying system which was designed and generously supplied in kit form by forum regular Nick Nelson. This replaced the original KA switches which were starting to show there age and become unreliably. I can't thank Nick enough for all his help and support, you can see a picture of the rear of the optical assembly below including Nick's (yet to be mounted) encoders:

I am still tweaking the shutters for the optical system which sometimes stick (due to my poor alignment), but it is certainly a huge step up from the previous keying system. Happy to answer any questions anyone has.

ChangedForever

Re: 4 manual console - update

PostSat Feb 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Nice!! Thanks for that update!! I missed the pix on the original thread.

Thanks for sharing,
Mark

jwillans

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Here is a short video showing the console in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mei9Rxw ... e=youtu.be

NickNelson

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 3:07 pm

Very nice indeed James.
I also play in socks, but nothing like so well.
Nick.

mdyde

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 3:23 am

[I've merged the new topic into the original one, so that people can see the full story easily.]

Congratulations on the stunning console.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jwillans

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 10:00 am

NickNelson wrote:Very nice indeed James.
I also play in socks, but nothing like so well.
Nick.

Thanks Nick - I hope you are well. Your keying system continues to work fantastically well, thanks for all your help and support with this.

jwillans

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 2:24 pm

A further short demo featuring the beautiful Clarinet on the Salisbury's solo division:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHvUSoZ ... e=youtu.be

jwillans

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 4:01 am

A further demo - Henry Smart's Postlude in C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7IPdlL ... e=youtu.be

jwillans

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 12:51 pm

An Advent improvisation:

https://youtu.be/p5qC6tTEJs0
PreviousNext