It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

A "Murphy" organ setup

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Kevin Phelps

A "Murphy" organ setup

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 11:30 am

My setup shares space in a 15' x 20' multi-purpose room in our house that already houses a grand piano so I built a configuration for a 3 manual organ that can disappear when we need more room in the room. We built the room with a cabinet to house tv and other components behind louvered doors that can put them all out of sight when not in use. The bottom part of the cabinet area is where the organ hibernates as needed. I'm posting multiple pictures to give an idea of how it all fits together. Figuring out how to get everything in place within the limited space and meet AGO specifications when in use was a very interesting puzzle to solve. It took some time but it all works. The top cabinet includes the 60' LCD tv (which does double duty as a computer monitor), plus amplifier, some of the speakers for the 5.1 surround system, dvd player, surge protector. The bottom cabinet houses the MacPro, subwoofer, keyboards and pedal board. The organ bench when not in use serves as a nice bench in our guest bedroom just across the hall.

So, here in sequence are the phases between asleep and sleepers awake...

Step 1 : the media center with doors closed

Step 2: doors open. Bottom cabinet has MAC at lower right, pedal board on end in front of keyboards, subwoofer hiding in the shadows at left. The organ components include a CMK 3 stack plus cheeks, CMK pedal unit, and a Behringer FCB for expression pedals (the space constraints in the cabinet limited the possible options for expression pedals and pedal pistons).

Step 3: pedals removed. Keyboard assembly has a bottom board on a heavy duty piano hinge attached to the wall, a top board with keyboard stack attached riding on a heavy duty cabinet drawer slider attached to the bottom. The bottom board has two legs underneath that fold in (not visible in this photo). The top board has two legs that fold back onto the top, parallel to the keyboard (you can make out the left one fairly well as it's angling out at a slight angle in this photo).

Step 4: here you can see the keyboard assembly being brought forward

Step 5: keyboard assembly in place. The top board has been moved foward and the front legs have been folded down. You can also see the brass brackets I used to anchor the keyboard stack to the top board (not elegant looking but they work).

Step 6: back legs underneath the bottom board folded down into place

Step 7: right front leg folded back onto the top board to allow positioning of pedal board. Note the small wooden bracket on the back in the middle of the pedal board which ties to FCB expression pedal unit. The pedal board also has small marks on both sides to facilitate placement/alignment with the top assembly to hit AGO specs (ditto for height of legs and construction of platform for placement of key stack)

Step 8: FCB expression pedal unit in place, held there by the wooden bracket in front and two removable struts in back (not clearly visibly) that hold onto the unit with velcro and angle back to the floor against the wall.

Step 9: right front leg back in place, cables and power connected. almost ready to go

Step 10: Ready to rock and roll. Bench in place (a lovely antique I got on ebay for $200), Hauptwerk and the full-screen view of Salisbury up on the tv which serves as the computer monitor. The large size of the image makes it extremely easy to work with the stops (see mouse at right of keyboard, and wireless keyboard sitting at the left). With all the pistons available (plus the advanced capabilities of combination options under HW4), I don't feel the need for touch screens.

K Phelps

engrssc

Re: A "Murphy" organ setup

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Two words, cool 8) and clever. :)

Rgds,
Ed

dwood

PostTue Apr 03, 2012 2:24 pm

That's some slick engineering there. Very cool. Thanks for showing that off.

Darryl

BachsFugue

PostTue Apr 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Quite sleek and neat!
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

G3

PostTue Apr 03, 2012 9:38 pm

I thought my setup was outrageous. If Johann Sebastian could only see this. He would have loved it. I love it. How original. A Murphy Organ... who'd a thunk?

Tell me that gynormous screen is a touch? NOT!

Hats off to your ingenuity.

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems