It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

Church installation

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Church installation

PostTue Aug 21, 2012 12:24 pm

ajt wrote:The approval we had was for internal work to the console only, no wiring or physical appearance changes.

While I have no knowledge at all of what such a permission procedure would entail, it seems by what I am reading here that, in itself, this must have been an applaudable feat in it's own right. I would have thought moving and or replacing speakers behind a grill cloth enclosure would have been less invasive. For one, such a change could easily be reversed. Likewise in the same way, adding additional spkrs, maybe with the exception of a few extra mounting hardware holes in the structure would be, too, very reversible.

Rgds,
Ed

PS, Some of these lesser known, behind the scenes restoration/preservation facts/functions are very interesting. 8)

ajt

PostTue Aug 21, 2012 2:06 pm

The church of England requires either a full faculty application which costs money - there is usual a consult of some sort required, a proper plan, then it all goes to the diocesan advisory committee for consideration. It's a fairly longwinded and often frustrating process, especially where organs are concerned as much depends on the organ advisor and his or her standpoint/beliefs. The other option is called a schedule B permission which is much easier to get and is for minor modifications to fixtures and fittings that don't affect the appearance of the church. That's what I went with for this install.
Adrian

engrssc

PostTue Aug 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Understood. Still a rather large congratulations to you and any who may have helped. In my case, the helpers seem to have faded away. :(

Would one successful portion (of a project) lead to favorable considerations on furthering said project or doesn't it work that way?

Here, there's a lot to be said for favorable personable standing with the decision makers which helps to "pave the way" so to speak. I've installed several home sound systems, High Def TV's etc in order to get a thumbs up (that is along with my wife's delicious chocolate chip cookies on the side). I used to say that I work for (cookie) crumbs and great organ music. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

ajt

PostTue Aug 21, 2012 5:44 pm

To a certain extent, yes, there's an element of "it worked in X, it'll work in Y", but on the whole the ethos is preservation rather than innovation.
Adrian

engrssc

PostTue Aug 21, 2012 7:58 pm

How about innovative preservation? If it could be shown the improvement would tend to make the "item" more usefully highlighted so future generations could enjoy it to a greater extent. Isn't that the real "reason" for preservation?

Case in point, we have nearby an old house that history proves that it was part of the underground railway. It was slated to be torn down because it was in such poor repair. Between donations and a lot of hard work, it has been restored to a typical house of that era. Improvements to support the structural integrity, among other things, used up to date techniques and methods done very carefully. As a result, it was even brought up to code which insured that it will be around for a long time. You would have to really search to find these "modern" features, but they are definitely there. Just because something is old, doesn't mean that it has to be abandon or worse, destroyed. So many beautiful organs have met with such fates. Another reason pointing toward the value of Hauptwerk, by very modern means, many of these historic instruments are being virtually preserved. That for me is a big WOW !! :)

But I'll just bet, that I'm preaching to the choir, right? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 11:37 am

I re-read this posting with a question I had previously meant to ask Adrian. That being, i appears the console's coupler board appears to be "hidden" being the music rack. Is that purposeful or just the way it had to be?

Rgds,
Ed

ajt

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 pm

Nope, there's nothing under the music rack. The couplers are under each division's stops. I am toying with putting an x-keys in there to give a few extra stops or pistons though.
Adrian

engrssc

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 12:49 pm

I was referring to the tabs mounted on a board in the console picture that are just above the swell manual in the picture that shows the music rack in a raised position with a view of a computer monitor behind and to the left.

Regards,
Ed

ajt

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Ah - that's an old(ish) Mac keyboard.
Adrian

engrssc

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 5:23 pm

ajt wrote:Ah - that's an old(ish) Mac keyboard.

A classic or as some lovingly call such vintage. At first it looked a little like rocker tabs, but not quite. Thanks for the "enlightenment".

Rgds,
Ed

And I thought an old(ish) Mac meant the one where you load the OS with several floppies and the monitor was a monochrome green screen. Still have it BTW. Didn't Radio Shack sell something like that? I heard if they, R/S, found these first computers didn't sell, they would just use them internally in their stores to keep track of inventory or such. :o :shock:
Previous

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems