It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:45 pm

A Desertic Setup (Completed)

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

pat17

A Desertic Setup (Completed)

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 12:36 pm

My first real setup has been assembled two years ago, when I was still living in Abu Dhabi. I just had decided to go the Hauptwerk route, and still part of the temporary setup I had been using during the "trial" period was present. The Ikea Galant table used as console support made me speak about "office organ" by that time...

Although many elements have been changed since the beginning, the IT part didn't change much - Mac Mini, Motu Microlite for the Midi interface, and the gorgeous Motu UltraLite Mk3 Hybrid to handle the audio part.

Table support came later. The two feet pistons are not used for organ registration change purpose, but for MusicReader. Left piston to move forward, right one to come back one page. Not the most logical choice, but the most convenient one!

Actually the only screen used on my console is most often used to read the score.

When I moved to Dubai at the beginning of the year, one of my main concerns was where to place the organ. I chose an apartment with a large living room, looking for having a great sound at last.

Another view of the console

At last I could connect it to my home theater in a decent way. During my late days in Abu Dhabi, I had no other option but to have the console installed on the side of the living room where sound was completely unbalanced. I have it now in my back, as if playing on a reverse console. I bought a 20 m. / 60 ft. RCA cables to plug the organ into the amplifier.

I can have a direct comparison between CDs and SACDs of organ, and the Hauptwerk sound now. Same amplifier, same loudspeakers. Frankly speaking there is no difference, excepted maybe for St.Maximin. Due to the limited RAM I have in my Mini - 8 GB of which 5.1 can be used by Hauptwerk only - it has to be compressed thus giving a somewhat electronic sound. But Kampen or St. Michel-en-Thiérache are just jewels.

Next step - it may still need time - will be to replace the M-Audio keyboards. Most probably wooden Fatar ones, offering a stronger and more realistic touch. When I try to play pipe organs, I always find huge difficulty to adapt myself to the tracker touch they are offering.

Then the Mini will have to be replaced - most probably a Server version with RAM extended to 16 MB - unless the model available by that time will allow a 24 or 32 memory - and SSD.
Last edited by pat17 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

mashaffer

Re: A Desertic Setup (work in progress)

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Nice setup. What did you use for the expression pedals?

mike
If We The People refuse to hear the truth we will be ruled by liars.

pat17

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 10:30 pm

mashaffer wrote:Nice setup. What did you use for the expression pedals?

mike

Thanks for the nice word Mike!

The expression pedals and all organistic equipment - bench, pedalboard, support table - is coming from Pausch, in Germany.

Link: http://translate.google.de/translate?js ... l=de&tl=en

G3

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 12:26 pm

Very, very nicely done. You said, "and the gorgeous Motu UltraLite Mk3 Hybrid to handle the audio part". I use the same audio interface for my setup and agree with you totally. Today I connected its' midi out to drive two LCD displays. Works perfect. I'm also using MusicReader, but am using an HP touch screen monitor to turn pages. I like your toe piston page turners...good idea. I'm afraid I'd always have to look down, or I'd miss the turn.

Keep the photos coming as you make changes, please.

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

pat17

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 5:56 am

Thanks for the nice words George! 8)

G3 wrote:You said, "and the gorgeous Motu UltraLite Mk3 Hybrid to handle the audio part". I use the same audio interface for my setup and agree with you totally.

When I first tried Hauptwerk, I was using a basic M-Audio 4x4 audio interface, which was nice enough to push me to continue this experience. Yet I saw the huge difference I could get by updating it to the Motu. Trully amazing!...

Without it I would never have figured out Hauptwerk could truly match and compete with organ CDs and SACDs finest recordings.

I'm also using MusicReader, but am using an HP touch screen monitor to turn pages. I like your toe piston page turners...good idea. I'm afraid I'd always have to look down, or I'd miss the turn.

The pistons are connected to a Footime Page Turner itself hooked to the Mac through USB. I realised a bit too late it was unnecessarily complicated - the foot pistons could have done the job natively as MusicReader pages can be turned thanks to any Midi device...

With practice, there is no issue to find the pistons even without looking at them. It's not more complicated than playing the pedalboard!

Keep the photos coming as you make changes, please.

Thanks for your interest. I'll update it when there's something worth being mentioned. Unfortunately, I don't know yet when the next steps will be achieved.

profeluisegarcia

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 8:07 am

Hello Pat, finally I knew your "Desertic setup" which is anything but desertic: nice looking and complete. Congratulations. By the way, this week I will show the progress of my setup but "in the mountains" .
Luis

pat17

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 1:51 pm

profeluisegarcia wrote:Hello Pat, finally I knew your "Desertic setup" which is anything but desertic: nice looking and complete. Congratulations. By the way, this week I will show the progress of my setup but "in the mountains" .
Luis

Thanks for the kind words, Luis. Waiting for your update with great impatience! :D

pat17

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:11 am

I finally received this week the 3-manual blocs I have ordered... in February! :shock:

All keyboards are Fatar TP/62LW which I chose because of the tracker touch simulation, and also for the nicer feel of wooden keys -

I tried to integrate the "IT part" as smoothly as I could. The Mac Mini was intended to be on the upper shelf, but it was reaching alarming temperature in there -

On the other side the Stax earphone and its dedicated amplifier -

My setup is now at last completed - after more than 3 years. Not only it looks more like a real console, but it will also allow me to resume taking organ lessons - I can play on pipe organs 3 times a year only, and the tracker touch there was so different from my previous M-Audio keyboards I could hardly play anything.

steve till

Re: A Desertic Setup (Completed)

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 am

Congratulations Pat!

It looks wonderful, and I'm sure it sounds grand too.

Kind of inspiring to me, maybe I'll get mine working this year.

pedro

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Pat
Nice console!
I bought the same keyboards at Classic Midi Works 2 yrs ago,and put them in a Domus Canticus.
Do you live in Dubai for your work?
Pete

cthart

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 12:49 pm

How did you get the manuals mounted "flat" rather than sloping as with the Fatar brackets?

Jan Loosman

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Hello Patrick

What a beautifull setup. The keyboards look stunning.
How do you arrange your organ lessons in a Islamitic country? Are there organ teachers in Dubai?

Regards Jan

pedro

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi Pat
Does your organ teacher come to your house on a camel? :lol: :lol:

profeluisegarcia

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 10:20 pm

WOW¡ Nice, elegant and practical design...Many envy you -including me'¡
Regards
Luis

pat17

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 2:15 am

steve till wrote:Congratulations Pat!

It looks wonderful, and I'm sure it sounds grand too.

Kind of inspiring to me, maybe I'll get mine working this year.

Thanks for the kind words Steve!

Hope you can do it as expected - it's really a nice feeling to play on a completed setup. As for the sound, it doesn't change indeed from what I had before, since the last step was purely dedicated to the manuals and the shelves.

pedro wrote:Hi Pat
Nice console!
I bought the same keyboards at Classic Midi Works 2 yrs ago,and put them in a Domus Canticus.
Do you live in Dubai for your work?
Pete

Thanks for your appreciation Pete!

The result in your console must be quite amazing. Maybe you will share a few pics of it on this forum section? Yes, I'm only resident in Dubai, being here for work. Actually I'm French by origin (hence my poor level in English :mrgreen: ). It also explains why the pedalboard I chose has parallel keys, like in all Continental European countries.

cthart wrote:How did you get the manuals mounted "flat" rather than sloping as with the Fatar brackets?

I'm afraid I cannot say how it has been done - I ordered it to a company that delivered the 3-Manual bloc fully completed.

Jan Loosman wrote:Hello Patrick

What a beautifull setup. The keyboards look stunning.
How do you arrange your organ lessons in a Islamitic country? Are there organ teachers in Dubai?

Regards Jan

Thanks Jan!

I'm still jealous of your wonderful Rembrandt-setup, much nicer than mine! :)

I used to take lessons when I am back to France for leave (3 times per year) and where the only instruments I can play on are tracker organs. The keyboard touch was so different from my previous M-Audio units, and my stay so short that I couldn't play correctly and didn't have enough time to get used to them. I had then to stop those lessons that proved to be more frustrating than helping. Being back to France for next Christmas, I shall try to resume them.

The problem in Dubai there's not a single pipe organ (as well as in the whole United Arab Emirates). The nearest one is in neighboring Sultanate of Oman, which is 700 kms. away.

pedro wrote:Hi Pat
Does your organ teacher come to your house on a camel? :lol:

Yep. This is why I can take only 3 lessons per year - 3,100 miles on a camel takes too much time for him to come home! :mrgreen:

profeluisegarcia wrote:WOW¡ Nice, elegant and practical design...Many envy you -including me'¡
Regards
Luis

Thanks for the kind words Luis!

This is because I knew it would take time to complete the console I chose a manufacturer that would be able to do it in a modular way. The concept is very much Ikea-like, where I first bought pedalboard and bench, then the supporting table with pedals, and finally the 3-Manual block. They are all standard items in its catalog, ensuring a good integration of all the elements

The only customization I requested was for the side-shelves, and for the supporting table height to be adapted to my size - I'm 6'2" or 1.90 m so it had to be leveled up by 2 cms. (or 6 inches).
Next

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems