It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am

Console changes with Launchpads

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

WWillmott

Re: Console changes with Launchpads

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 3:41 pm

I loved the organ playing instruction video on YouTube!
At my level of organ playing, any help is welcome!! :lol:

Thanks and all the best,
Walter

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Mar 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks guys!

Ted - this project of mine shows that anything is possible. My Hauptwerk journey began in 2006 with a laptop running Windows XP into 2GB of RAM, with a single MIDI keyboard attached. Eight years on and I am still astonished every time I walk into my music room to see what is there now. Patience, planning, and dealing with more than a few setbacks along the way - it's all part of the process. I've said previously to the forum that I regard Hauptwerk not just as a destination but as the journey.

Luis - for now the work can stop, but it's not over by a long way. The pedals need to be worked on. The ex-Johannus pedalboard has a synthetic material for its bumpers, and one day I'd like to strip that out and install proper organ felt. The swell pedal and toe piston assembly was thrown together in haste. It wobbles, and the positioning leaves something to be desired. I also have more toe pistons to install - possibly to simulate the ventil approach to French symphonic organs. There's still lots to do - but for now rather than doing more to improve the organ I must get back to reviving my organ technique, which today is but a shadow of its former self.

Walter - I'm glad this little offering has been of use. The techniques shown can be generalised and applied to other pieces. Perhaps one day I'll get around to doing some more.

But for now, folks, it's my pleasure to declare the current phase of work complete. In the last few days I've wired up the LCD screens and screwed the music rest support into place. I've also reinstated the near-field speakers on the top of the console and reconnected the subwoofer in the corner of the room, for the odd occasions when I'm not using headphones. I have also moved the touch-screen monitor a few inches forward to clear the support pole to the right launchpads. This allows the monitor to be angled better from the player's perspective. Apart from some tidying-up of cabling around the back the work is now done.

Here it is!

Andrew

Andrew Grahame

PostSun Mar 16, 2014 2:26 am

Hello folks,

Here's a final photo for now.

The wiring has now been tidied and cable-tied. Some dodgy MIDI cables have been replaced by new ones. I've added a small light behind the music rest, shining down onto the top keyboard. This eliminates the shadow under the music rest. With the 4 LCD screens now in use I've been able to close all the piston toolbars and mini control panels on the screen, so the image on the 22.5 inch touch screen is now as large as it can possibly be.

I've also cleaned up the music room, removed all tools and other equipment from there, and generally set the room up just for music playing. Organbuilding work is now over for the time being, and I'm in no hurry to start work on the pedal changes. All of this in less than three weeks since I pulled it all apart, and I'm still amazed that it call came together so quickly.

Hopefully before too long I can make some new offerings to Contrebombarde Concert Hall, and perhaps even a new video or two to the "OrganLessons" YouTube channel. Meanwhile, tune in if you can to Fine Music 102.5 at 5 pm (Sydney time) on the second Saturday of each month for more organ music, broadcast on behalf of the Organ Music Society of Sydney. The web page for online listening - http://www.finemusicfm.com. My next broadcast is on April 12th.

Andrew

Andrew Grahame

PostSun May 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Here's a first - very simple - offering via YouTube of the new console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjHXNI0EYYk

Andrew

cvmoreau

PostFri May 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Here's a first - very simple - offering via YouTube of the new console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjHXNI0EYYk

Andrew

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing your talent, Andrew!

-Chris

Andrew Grahame

PostFri May 09, 2014 8:48 pm

You're welcome, Chris.

Andrew

WWillmott

PostSat May 10, 2014 7:51 pm

You are right, Andrew; a very charming piece indeed and you do it justice.

This may sound funny, but I really love watching how an organist's hands/fingers "interact with" or "work" the organ manuals; there is a gracefulness and precision (that I lack in my own playing!) in this movement that is mesmerizing (to me anyway!) especially when coupled with the music that those fingers are making happen! Great camera angle in this case; for those who like to watch! :oops:

Looking forward to more!

All the best,
Walter

ErnestM

• Location: Orefield, PA (about 45 Miles N of Philadelphia) USA

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Dear Andrew:

Viewing your "console" installation. Looks very nice. I am in need of a table. What I would like, is the dimensions of your IKEA Galant table, and if you might have the model number? I am looking for a table, and it appears the IKEA Galant works well for some of the forum posters. There are a number on the IKEA web site, but I would not know which one to get for "our" (Hauptwerk users) use. Thank you for your help, Andrew.

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 2:37 pm

Hello Ernest,

My Galant table top measures 80 cm deep by 160 cm wide. There are several colours and a choice of adjustable legs. The legs which extend on a slight angle leave plenty of room each side for the pedalboard.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/S79895973/

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10186465/

Good luck with your project!

Andrew

RUCKPOSITIVE

PostWed Nov 05, 2014 6:48 am

Captain Kirk should definitely be proud of the completed project to date Andrew.

No wonder you have had so many hits on the post - there is so much information on it and it details the things people need to ponder and sort out in their thinking.

Great work - and yes I'll be picking your brains continually now that you have opened the flood gate ;-)

Stef

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Nov 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks Stef. Good luck with your project.

Just looking again at the view count - now up to 9762 - it would be interesting to see pictures of anyone's self-made consoles which have been influenced directly by mine.

I can thank George (G4) for the idea of using Atdec hardware to mount launchpads and screens. Ikea tables have been mentioned many times - I first heard about them through the pages of the AGO journal. I can thank Daniel Cook for putting me onto the e-Keys 37 units which provide piston MIDI input. I am sure there are other influences whose sources I can't recall at this moment. Ian Sell built the keyboard stack for me, to AGO dimensions. Piston layout evolved after looking at countless pictures of Hauptwerk and pipe organ consoles, but there is particular influence from three sample sets - Salisbury, PAB and Paramount 450.

One way and another I reckon we are all giving each other ideas for console design.

Andrew

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 11:21 pm

10378 views to date!

Merry Christmas and Happy Console Building to everyone!

Andrew

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Apr 13, 2015 6:38 am

11,548 views to date!

Not much has changed since I got all the pistons working a while back. However over the last few days I've created some new overlays for the Paramount 450. This requires 6 launchpads and indeed it was specifically this sample set which led to the installation of this many. Even so, the overlays only deal with the square buttons. Tremulants and traps are on round buttons which are separately labelled with paper labels stuck permanently onto the launchpads.

The reason for remaking these overlays is to replace the original monochrome versions with colour versions using a colour laser printer which I didn't have when printing the originals. While I've used colour for some time now, the daunting task of remaking all 6 for the P450 has kept that project on the back burner for some time.

I've adopted a combination of Wurlitzer and Moller colour schemes. The traditional white (no colour, and amber launchpad lighting) is used for non-celeste flues. Red (with red lighting) is for reeds, and orange (with orange lighting) is used for the string celestes. Black is used for couplers, with white for lettering. When printed, the lettering is left blank and I use dim/bright green lighting, which works extremely well. I've coloured the percussions green as per Moller, and the piano is blue (also Moller) to make them stand out. I've also put cancel buttons onto the launchpads as per Christie cancel bars and coloured them in cyan.

Here's a photo of what is now looks like with this sample set loaded.

Anyone who'd like the PDF files of these 6 overlays is invited to request this via a PM. I'll respond with dropbox download links.

Andrew

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Apr 13, 2015 11:28 pm

I've just realised that there is a significant change to the console which I've not identified. Eagle eyes may have noticed a difference in console lighting.

The fluorescent tubes under the table to light the pedalboard kept failing, and replacement lamps were more expensive than the fittings themselves and difficult to change. I have since removed these and installed a long strip of LED lights instead. There's a second smaller strip attached to the back of the music rest, replacing the little desk light which I'd previously put behind the music rest to eliminate shadows on the keys. A new music rest light with a longer arm was installed a while back. I like to have good lighting around organ consoles, and this new setup works well.

Andrew

ChangedForever

PostTue Apr 14, 2015 6:59 am

Oooooh, I'm so jealous!! Very nice stack and setup. Yes, Ian did a very nice job - if he lived in Georgia I might go visit him with some money..... Maybe I could "persuade" him to do the same for me!! :)
PreviousNext

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems