It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:38 pm

Console changes with Launchpads

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Andrew Grahame

Re: Console changes with Launchpads

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks Mike. It's always a pleasure to walk into the music room to see this creation sitting there, and even more so to sit down and play.

Andrew

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 5:59 am

Just wondering if anyone has been able to make use of my launchpad overlay template.

Here's the link again if anyone new to this thread is interested.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/74752136/Launc ... e%20AG.pdf

Andrew

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 4:19 am

I decided to bite the bullet and reconstruct the music rest setup first. This afternoon I pulled everything apart. The entire console will be rewired and some of the hardware repositioned as I put it back together.

Here's a shot of the keyboard stack with its top piece in place, showing the fifth piston rail and LCD screens.

Andrew

Ted Williamson

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi Andrew, Yes this looks exciting. I think I see four LCDs in the picture. Just out of curiosity, what will the pistons do, the ones above the forth keyboard?
Ted W

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi Ted,

The top row of pistons contains general pistons plus sequencer back, floating keyboard controls and a group of 10 plus zero matching the divisionals on the lower keyboards. Originally I planned for five manuals, but after deleting the fifth manual I kept its piston rail, positioned above the Solo after the fashion of many English cathedral organs.

Here is the final layout.

This scheme has developed over nearly four years. Originally I had no launchpads, and the rationale behind such a large number of pistons derives from the fact that I find touch screens extremely hard to use when playing. Even though I have since added launchpads to the console I have retained and refined the piston layout.

Andrew

engrssc

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Any way to enlarge the piston layout? Kinds hard to read.

Rgds,
Ed

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi Ed,

Here's a link to the PDF version of this file in my Dropbox. You should be able to download a clearer version from there. Click on the link and a new page will open in your browser. You can then download the file from there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a4ip7ufw67z6 ... 202013.pdf

Regards,

Andrew

Ted Williamson

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Andrew, I find this fascinating. I was wondering if you would tell me about your floating keyboard control pistons on the far right.
Ted W

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 12:33 am

Hi Ted,

These blank pistons are intended primarily to be assigned to the floating keyboard controls shown on Page 108 of the user guide. The sample set which I'll use them with will be the Palace of the Arts, Budapest. The fifth manual division (chamades and couplers) can be assigned to one of the other keyboards, and the pistons allow instant "flipping" between departments.

Having said that, in the case of the PAB I will actually not use Hauptwerk's native floating keyboard controls, but rather the corresponding controls provided from within the PAB itself. The PAB was a sample set ahead of its time, incorporating various features which have since been added to HW4 for all sample sets. The complexity of the PAB is such that it is best to stick to its own controls rather than the Hauptwerk alternatives as in some instances the two are mutually exclusive. However the concept of the floating divisions remains the same.

With 4 manuals in the stack I expect only to use these pistons for that particular function in a five-manual sample set, which leaves them available for other purposes if required in other sample sets.

Andrew

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Here are close-up views of the top two piston rails. The pistons in the fifth rail haven't yet been pushed fully home. Also, two blanks to the right of General 25 will be replaced with pistons engraved 26 and 27. The two separated blanks at the far right of both are intended primarily for control of floating divisions.

Andrew

engrssc

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 am

With all those pistons, which are designated to serve coffee or tea? 8) That setup's in the wow category. :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 3:01 am

Hi Ed,

I imagine that this facility actually already exists, but I don't plan to implement it! Hauptwerk is capable of sending MIDI signals to external devices. Theoretically I suppose it's possible to use a piston to send a signal to some kind of relay which would then turn on the mains supply to boil the kettle!

Seriously, thank you for your comments and your interest. My project continues to move forward, albeit slowly, and more pics will follow in due course. It's been a long time coming, and it's nice seeing things which I've been visualising for the last few years becoming reality.

Andrew

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 5:12 am

Music rest now back on. The music rest came from a junked pipe organ console many years ago.

Andrew

engrssc

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 10:42 am

Was wondering what you were going to put in that place above the 4th manual. Usually have seen couplers in that spot. Nice match BTW.

I may have missed it, but what messages are you going to have in the LCD displays?

Rgds,
Ed

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi Ed,

I didn't plan to put couplers in that space as that would push the music rest up too high. That's also one of the reasons why I abandoned plans to have a fifth manual.

At this point I haven't decided exactly what will go in the screens, but the displays will replace some if not all of the mini control panels currently on the monitor for Hauptwerk status information such as organ selection, sequencer and so on.

Andrew
PreviousNext

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems