It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

Second homemade VPO in Caracas, Venezuela

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Rafael

Second homemade VPO in Caracas, Venezuela

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 9:47 am

Just finished, it is a BDO instrument, semi-portable, it took me three months to build, at half workdays :

Keyboards are M-Audio Keystation 61es. Wood of mini-console and bench is spanish cedar, and pedalboard's is pine. The bench´s heigth is adjustable to 3 positions. The electronic of the pedalboard was supplied by R. Sowa. The expression pedal for the swell is a Yahama FC7 unit.

Kind regards,
Rafael Chacon

G3

Re: Second homemade VPO in Caracas, Venezuela

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 am

Awesome!

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

engrssc

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 11:07 am

Really nice, Rafael. Looking to also build a portable instrument here. Did you fabricate the metal parts? Also, what are you using for the computer and how do you control the registration, etc?

Rgds,
Ed

profeluisegarcia

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Hola Rafael:
I love minimalistic style (although I cannot apply this principle in my stuffs). Congratulations for your nice portative HW organ. It seems that you can control your instrument by telepathy.
So I also have the same questions posted by Engrssc. And how did you connect the Yamaha pedal to the system?
Luis

engrssc

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 4:04 pm

profeluisegarcia wrote:It seems that you can control your instrument by telepathy.

That will be an option in HW Version 6.0. 8) In addition to controlling HW, another same type telepathy option will eventually control the page-turn on the music rack monitor software. :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

mashaffer

PostTue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 pm

engrssc wrote:
profeluisegarcia wrote:It seems that you can control your instrument by telepathy.

That will be an option in HW Version 6.0. 8) In addition to controlling HW, another same type telepathy option will eventually control the page-turn on the music rack monitor software. :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

LOL. Shades of Firefox. I wonder if you could add articulated mounts for launchpads or the like that could attach to the sides.

mike
If We The People refuse to hear the truth we will be ruled by liars.

Rafael

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:58 am

G3 wrote:Awesome!

George (G3)
Thank you, G3

Rafael

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 11:50 am

engrssc wrote:Really nice, Rafael. Looking to also build a portable instrument here. Did you fabricate the metal parts? Also, what are you using for the computer and how do you control the registration, etc?

Rgds,
Ed

Very kind, Ed, thanks. Yes, I did, the metallic structure was joined by screws, and it remains stable. I designed a door on the rear of the mini-console, so that a Mac Mini and a sound card could be installed inside. For placing the touch screen (or a laptop, in lieu of the MacMini), there will be a double attachment: A folding shelf at one side and some kind of full-motion arm at the other one, but the exact type depends on the hardware I finally get. For the moment, in order to test the organ, I borrow my humble desktop PC from my office.

Rafael

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 pm

profeluisegarcia wrote:Hola Rafael:
I love minimalistic style (although I cannot apply this principle in my stuffs). Congratulations for your nice portative HW organ. It seems that you can control your instrument by telepathy.
So I also have the same questions posted by Engrssc. And how did you connect the Yamaha pedal to the system?
Luis

Thanks, professor, very funny! :D The connection of the expression pedal is a matter of replacing the slide pot of the Keystation by the FC7. Both are only potentiometers, as I see, only that the FC7 unit is bigger. On the keystation cut the slide pot's wire, which has three threads, near the PCB, and discard the pot. Then cut and discard the 1/4" jack of the FC7, whose wire also has three threads, and join both wires according to the image below (thanks to member "joeltrekell" for his kind advisory):

You see: i) connect red dotted thread to ground one; ii) red tiny-dashed thread to white one; and iii) red thick-dashed thread to red one. In practice I soldered every pair of wires and covered them with heat shrink tubing.

Warm regards
Last edited by Rafael on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rafael

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 12:47 pm

mashaffer wrote:
engrssc wrote:

Rgds,
Ed

LOL. Shades of Firefox. I wonder if you could add articulated mounts for launchpads or the like that could attach to the sides.

mike

Yes, indeed, Mike, articulated mounts is an elegant and smart solution, thank you.

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems