It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:02 pm

Hauptwerk build for Emmanuel Lutheran

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

mds6 user

Hauptwerk build for Emmanuel Lutheran

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:00 pm

I have built midi organs for 14 years and have been looking for ways to provide a quality organ for a more affordable price. As many on the forum may know I am new to Hauptwerk and this is my first Hauptwerk dedicated build. This was made as a prototype to try different options. Some of the methods used will make it into future organs and some won’t. I wanted to share some information learned from this build to hopefully help others as many have me.
Thanks,
Matt

I started off with a table like design so a person could start off basic and add in the future
The side panels are 1x3 oak with 1/4" plywood inserts to keep price down but add a little detail

I used Roman's midi products from midi-hardware.com and have been very happy with the product and service
Basic key cheek. I had a used 3 manual set of ivory keys that I rebuilt by setting springs, new bushings, and new gold plated contacts. I didn't want the organ to have a brand new feel
My basic pedal frame

The basic upper side panel has a 2x4" frame with 1/2" plywood center

mds6 user

Re: Hauptwerk build for Emmanuel Lutheran

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:24 pm

I used a waterjet(the average diy builder may have to figure something else out) to cut out for stop and stop labels. I also cut a slot on the back side of the stop label cut outs for a plastic insert.
I glued 1/2" plywood to the back of the stop boards. counter sunk the holes for the stop labels to help the light spread, then drilled a hole in the middle for the leds. I used a common wire on the back of the plywood for the leds and reed switches. after soldering everything together i used a hot glue gun to hold everything in place.

I made my own stop knobs by cutting out blanks from wood with a hole saw, drilling a hole in the center with an end mill, and routing the taper on each side.

mds6 user

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 3:37 pm

i used spring steel to mount the stops and make movement possible. you can push or pull the stops to turn on or off. i mounted 2 magnets to the stops on either side of the neutral position.
stop panels with stops and labels installed. I used 1/8" lexan for the stop label inserts sanded on both sides for a frosted look and clear labels from the printer
phase one complete.
thanks,
matt

mashaffer

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Wow! Beautiful work. Given the cost no object nature of the project, I wonder if one could rig up some kind of programmable displays (LCD?) to use for the stop labels (assuming that HW supports it).

mike
If We The People refuse to hear the truth we will be ruled by liars.

mds6 user

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Mike,
A complete from scratch build has a lot to consider. The main things for me are keyboards, Pedals, and stop interfaces. I have asked many people about these things. I personally don't like keyboards with plastic or steel components so I use used or my own which are true wood core and like many common pipe organ manufacturers. The biggest complaint I have had from your average organ user about a simple hauptwerk setup is computer like displays. This is why I chose this style. You can change the label panels in 30 seconds so its not too bad. This particular organ will rarely be changed. I have had many organists try this console including our local AGO dean and the main problem has been that I chose for the labels to be on the top of the stop and some would prefer it be on the bottom like some traditional organs.
Matt

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 9:28 pm

mashaffer wrote:Wow! Beautiful work. Given the cost no object nature of the project, I wonder if one could rig up some kind of programmable displays (LCD?) to use for the stop labels (assuming that HW supports it).

mike

It does. See the option under 'Organ settings | Advanced MIDI applications | MIDI label display LCD panel control'. Here you can type any text you wish to be displayed on an LCD panel.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

rumpus

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 1:49 am

mashaffer wrote:Wow! Beautiful work. mike

Yes indeed - a very presentable console.

mds6 user

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks for the complements! I should note this console style was designed to be a step above the most basic. The total cost for all wood (console, pedals, speaker boxes, & bench, fake pipe chest still to come) was $2500. The total price tag for everything was under $7500.
Thanks
Matt

mashaffer

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 7:57 am

Not counting your labor I presume. :)

mike
If We The People refuse to hear the truth we will be ruled by liars.

mds6 user

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 8:15 am

Correct.
Matt

1961TC4ME

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 12:09 am

Matt,

Looks good and I can appreciate all the hard work! I'm assuming this is installed somewhere in / near Duluth?

Marc

mds6 user

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 8:09 am

Marc,
Thanks, its in Barnum MN which is about 40 min south of Duluth. If your ever in the area and would like to take a look let me know.
Thanks,
Matt

1961TC4ME

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks! I'll do that.

Marc

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems