It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 am

Hauptwerk addition of 4th keyboard

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Hauptwerk addition of 4th keyboard

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 7:52 pm

I had always thought of a four manual Hauptwerk system. My original setup had three manuals in a 1980 Schantz console. I got a fourth manual ( Fatar pistonless) to match the other three and added 14 pistons myself. I salvaged the pistons from an old 1960 vintage Lowrey organ. The pistons were flawless. One of the big issues with adding conventional pipe organ pistons to Fatar keyboards is that the depth of the piston will be too much and the key will hit them when you play. Fortunately these Lowrey pistons had their own housings which kept them away from the key.

http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/Tubam ... 9.jpg.html

The second issue was those Skinner key cheeks. I couldn't afford to buy a set for a four keyboard set up so I made my own. I glued two 2x4's together and cut them to the correct width since the original fancy wood is not available for an affordable price ( you can't see the seam). I used pine. I stained them using Minwax poly-seal which was about 99% correct to the original color.

I used the original brackets for the Fatar keyboards when stacking them. However, a 4th manual put it too high and far away for comfortable ergonomic playing. I used spacers to increase the slope of the three keyboards. I experimented to make sure that it was comfortable, reachable and playable. I know the "purists" poo-poo sloped keyboards by I prefer them. Playing ease is more important to me than classical looks (the fifth keyboard of the Aeolian-Skinner at Riverside is impossible to reach and play comfortable, but the console looks great ).

Adding the fourth keyboard required removing some wood from the coupler rail. I experimented here, also. I had to raise the music rack about 1-2 inches.

Since I do not know how to post photographs I have attached the photobucket link. If someone wishes to post the image for me, I would be most appreciative.

I think this is the last change I will make. I can't see any reason for more keyboards. Right now, the console is very compact for a four keyboard organ. Everything is working great and I couldn't be happier.

Antoni Scott

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems