It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:38 pm

Florez & Garcia opus 3

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

profeluisegarcia

Florez & Garcia opus 3

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 9:22 pm

The history: after 15 years my friend Jorge -a german benedict monk, excellent person, skillful cabinet maker and organ builder- decided to visit me. He was enchanted with HW, and embedded playing it, to the point that he went to bed each night more late than St. Benedict´s rule had approved. In the monastery the pipe organ is located in a church in open field far from the cloister so he cannot practice at night. Looking at his enthusiasm Ruben and me decided to provide him –with his help and Abbot´s approval- a HW and last week the Version 1.0 instrument was completed and installed with these elements:

-a wooden console made in the monastery workshop
-my used Yamaha keyboard
-a pair of computer speakers and headphones
-HW free edition with beautiful organs like St. Anne, Jiri´s and Anton´s Doesburg, Smecno, etc.
-A encoder designed by Ruben to control 30 pedal notes, 8 pistons and expression pedal
-Mac Book Pro 4 G RAM

Although he is happy now with this modest HW installation, our medium term goal is to provide him with a second keyboard, the Silbermann from Pipeloops –which works with HW free edition- , more RAM, Advanced Edition…

Since he had not any idea about computers (and even how to use a cell phone) I wrote for him a ministep-by-ministep profusely illustrated booklet to operate the computer, HW program, organs, and problem shootings.
So far, so good. When the Abbot visited his cell he exclaimed: "Now nobody will sleep at this monastery¡", but immediately we showed him that the the monk would play with headphones; and he was very pleased and marveled with this undreamed technological achievement.

Now, some pictures:

In a monastery

Garden (A. Ketelbey: http://www.contrebombarde.com/concertha ... music/6740)

During the process

Micro switches pedal contacts (we find them more reliable and durable than reed switches)

The encoder designed and made by Ruben

A wood rotating arms designed and made by Jorge to place the computer

A HW Version 1.0 electrical outlets for pedal lights, computer speakers, keyboard, computer

Jorge ingenious way to make harder the extra soft touch of Yamaha PSR keyboard –although rather spongy

The monk staring at just finished HW

Fr. Jorge playing his HW for the first time
Last edited by profeluisegarcia on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

1961TC4ME

Re: Florez & Garcia opus 3

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Luis,

What a wonderful story and awesome gift of music! Also like the thinking on the firmer touch fix for the Yamaha keyboard, quite ingenious indeed!

Marc

RichardW

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 7:29 am

Congratulations - brilliant job and what a lovely idea.

Regards,
Richard

1961TC4ME

PostThu Dec 19, 2013 11:39 pm

And judging by all the green I see in the pictures (which we can only wish for this time of the year), the weather is a whole nicer there as well! I'll trade you for -15 F 8) Bonus: It saves on freezer space! :)

Marc

cvmoreau

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 pm

What a heartwarming and beautiful post -- and the cabinetwork looks fantastic! Thank you, Luis, for sharing.

-Chris

profeluisegarcia

PostTue Jan 14, 2014 11:12 am

UPDATE
Thanks to the initiative of my brother Carlos, our monk has now a second keyboard, Yamaha 243.
The keys are extremely soft. So I “invented” a new way to make the naturals´ touch harder by installing a rail with springs below each key, leaving 3-4 mm distance in the top to (try) simulate the “pipe opening the valve".
Let me share some photos, since this simple solution could be useful for those who have to play on extra soft keyboards (me included...but no for so long since a Midiworks ebony keyboard is on the way¡)

pat17

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 9:18 am

Hello Luis,

When looking on the ways you manage to improve keyboard response to touching, I'm quite impressed by your ability to find satisfactory solutions with somewhat limited resources! It looks you have golden mind and golden hands! :D

The quality of your pictures is also quite amazing. Are you also interested in photography, beside organ building? :wink:

fer_araneda

PostTue Jan 13, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi Luis!
I'm totally stealing your great idea for improve poor keyboard response. Thank you very much.
greetings from Chile.
Fernando Araneda

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems