It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:23 am

Home Drawknob Console

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

BachsFugue

Re: Home Drawknob Console

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Jim,

Simply gorgeous! Enjoy.
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

britokusa

PostMon Jan 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Its just remarkable what you have done, really impressive

JimE

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 7:39 am

Thanks for all of the positive replies everyone, I really appreciate them.

I now have the Syndyne SDK's mounted to the stop jamb's. Originally I had built the stop jamb's with a ½" thick panel. The Syndyne's require a 3/4" thick panel, so I had to add a 1/4" thickness to the back of the panel's. The stop jamb's have a box construction. This allows them to be free standing and provides a location to mount the ribbon cable connector PCB's.

As shown, the stop jamb's are free standing and can be slid out of the organ console. This will allow me to do all the wiring away from the console. Once the wiring is completed, it will be a simple job to slide the jamb's back into the organ console and connect a few ribbon cables. The design will allow for easier servicing too.

The next step will be wiring the SDK’s. They will be wired to ribbon cable connectors in the same manner as the Syndyne rocker tab's. As can be seen, the front panel that the rocker tab's are mounted to is also removable from the organ console.

Jim E
Last edited by JimE on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimE

PostSun Feb 09, 2014 12:07 am

Half the wiring is done. Here is a picture of the left stop jamb with the wiring completed.

When I mount the jambs back in the organ console the final connections will be with ribbon cables.

Jim E
Last edited by JimE on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeDC

PostSun Feb 09, 2014 12:30 pm

JimE,

Very neat wiring. Curious as to where you got the breakout boards to convert the individual wires to IDC connectors. Did you make them?

Thanks,

MikeDC

JimE

PostSun Feb 09, 2014 9:19 pm

MikeDC,

The boards are standard perforated .1" spacing strip breadboards. I cut the copper conductors down the middle where the IDC connectors are located. I then cut them down to the size I needed and drilled 4 mounting holes at the corners. The strip boards were 4" wide which were just the right size for the 3 IDC's that were required for each.

Jim E
Last edited by JimE on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marco

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 12:40 am

seeing wiring done this well one wishes the console would be partially transparent so not to hide it! But then again I am sure it is a much better feeling knowing that everything has been done cleanly on the inside even if it is not visible, congratulations!

ernst

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi Jim,

A tremendous job. You´re a gifted man and tenacious as well. I think I have never seen such a beautiful and practical console - and then DIY also! I´m in awe.

Ernst

JimE

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 6:30 am

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Here is an update on the progress.

I've installed power for the console in the lower half. As you can see I built the console to be "portable". The top half is removable from the lower half making it possible for just two people to move.

Here is the lower console with the access panel for the power supply removed.

I used an 8 outlet power strip to plug in the four 12v wall warts that supply power to the four MGB boards. In addition there are two IKEA power supplies for the two LED strip lights.

Finally there are two 12v 29 amp power supplies that will power the left and right jambs of SDK's.

All the 12v lines will be routed to the upper console.

When completed the console will have just a 125v power input and a USB connection to the computer. Now there is just one switch discreetly located on the front of the console to power up.

Here is a picture of the back of the console.

The next step will be the final wiring of the upper console and reinstalling the jambs.

Hopefully there are few ideas you can apply to your own console.
Jim E
Last edited by JimE on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dancingKitty

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 9:57 am

Excuse my ignorance - my entire woodworking knowledge could no doubt be written on the back of a small postage stamp - but what wood are you using for this? If I had the skill, I would imitate this design in a heartbeat, it looks fantastic and despite what I originally thought, it's not made of solid hardwood, is it?

Is it softwood beams with ply cladding, which is then stained? Please don't take offence if that is completely wrong! Could you tell me how deep the lower half is please? I mean the side "walls" as it were.

I must also compliment your wiring neatness. My cabling always seems to go awry, no matter how well I think I've planned it! :mrgreen:

JimE

PostWed Mar 26, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi DancingKitty,

No offence taken. The majority of the console is solid maple. All horizontal surfaces and vertical framing is solid maple. The larger vertical surfaces are indeed maple plywood that is set into the framing. I did use some scrape plywood I had for some internal bracing and for mounting the power supplies.

The organ bench is solid maple except for the heel rest which is oak. The pedalboard frame which I purchased is solid oak. Everything except for the heel rest was stained with a dark mahogany stain.

The depth of the lower half has an inside measurement of 8½ inches. That was just deep enough to accommodate the swell pedals.

Thank you for your interest and compliments,
Jim E

I measured the depth when I got home and corrected the error. The 7⅛ depth was to the pedalboard setback.

pat17

PostSun Mar 30, 2014 2:19 am

Hello Jim,

Your work is quite amazing - and making me feel really jealous :mrgreen:

Superior planning skills, with a great attention to those small details that can turn your life heaven - if you think of them - or hell - if you forget about them. Superior work quality, with a console that will look like a professional-grade one when completed, with this unique feature of being dismountable. Superior photographic skills, with perfect pictures to show us how nicely, neatly and thoughtful your work is! 8)

It looks your work will pay off soon - the console is almost completed by now I guess?

JimE

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 6:38 am

Thanks for the kind words Pat. Yes, the console is almost complete. However, there always seems to be something else to do. Still to be done is the lettering of all of the stops and rockers.

Because I have some extra inputs on the MGB boards, I plan on adding some more pistons. This project will have to wait until the fall because with warmer weather finally here I will be shifting focus to some woodworking projects.

Here is a picture of the left jamb in place with the basic wiring for power to the Midi Gadget Boutique mdec128br-P Midi-to-Parallel decoder board. This is the board that drives all of the left side Syndyne SDK solenoids. Also pictured is an MGB sm8x8 diode matrix board that will be connected to the left side Syndyne SDK reed switches.

And here is a picture of the same area with all of the ribbon cable wiring in place. The jambs are wired such that they can be removed by just disconnecting the ribbon cables.

Here is a picture of the center of the console showing the MGB hwce2x Midi Encoder board that controls the keyboards, pedalboard and pistons. Behind the hwce2x is an MGB hwce2 that handles the reed switches associated with the Syndyne SDK's. Also shown is the MOTU micro lite with the midi connections to the various MGB boards. The MOTU has the USB cable that connects the computer to the console. Behind the MOTU is the other MGB sm8x8 board that is connected to the right side Syndyne SDK reed switches.

Jim E
Last edited by JimE on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romanos

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 12:14 pm

I have a 3m johannus console with a similar stain. I love it and it is a beautiful piece of furniture, however, it is an utter pain to move and I have to have it done professionally. I've been really tempted to have my friends in a woodshop modify it to pop in half just like yours... It might look a little funny, but I think it would be worth it. (I could also fit it through more doors that way and get it into a different room!)

ChangedForever

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 6:04 pm

JimE - I'll tell you what I think about the console and your beautiful work a little later - it's hard to mash my keyboard keys right know since I've been drooling / slobbering over my computer keyboard reading / viewing your work here and on photobucket!! Thanks for the pix and technical write-ups - I'll be waiting anxiously for the post of your speaker cabinets /s as I have about the same setup of speakers as you do.

Very nice work - you have a gift; good to see you're using it...
Mark
PreviousNext

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems