It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

REBUILT CONSOLE FOR HAUPTWERK IN DEVON UK

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Nicholsnymet

REBUILT CONSOLE FOR HAUPTWERK IN DEVON UK

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 11:22 am

About a year ago I embarked on the project of having my 4 manual drawstop Wyvern console converted to Hauptwerk. As I am not very handy with woodwork or electronics or computers I entrusted the work to the people who originally built the console in Devon UK. They are called Renatus, and worked in conjunction with Romsey Organ Works who devised the computer and audio side.

I have decided to have a home organ specification...which is an enlarged version of Hereford Cathedral XL sample set. The drawstops therfore match this specification, although I also have a touch screen for later additional instruments I might add. There are 8 channels of audio plus a sub woofer channel which uses a Def Tech Reference sub. I have 4 Def Tec BP10 speakers plus 4 Jamo BX150 speakers which work well together. The amps are Behringer A500s.Also I have an Audiofire converter and an Apple Mini Mac with solid state drive. So far it is working brilliantly well apart from the amps which I would not reccomend.

I also have 2 pipe ranks which have been built into the scheme to work via Hauptwerk. These are mainly of Compton origin and comprise a Diapason at 8 and 4 and a Trumpet at 16 and 8. These can be used antiphonally or combined with the Hauptwerk stops for big effects.

There are a couple of off the cuff videos to show the organ here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrZSDYb3Ik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkWh5GljN7w

Not sure how to load photos as I'm new to this forum??

If anyone finds themselves in Devon UK close to Dartmoor please look us up at Nichols Nymet House

Paul Goodman
Nichols Nymet House
Devon
Uk

Nicholsnymet

Re: REBUILT CONSOLE FOR HAUPTWERK IN DEVON UK

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 11:44 am

Paul Goodman
Nichols Nymet House
Devon
Uk

dancingKitty

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 12:20 pm

A triumph!

I'm between you and Romsey, in Dorset. Should I plan a trip to Devon, I shall indeed look you up.

Can we have photos of the pipes too please?! :mrgreen:

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 1:15 pm

WOW¡¡
I´d better show my admiration in Spanish: Es UN SEÑOR órgano¡¡
(explanation -since English is the lenguaje here-: we can watch many people walking around, but sometimes it appears someone whose overall elegance attracts everybody eyes: that is a SEÑOR -mister- in caps letters).

Nicholsnymet

photos of pipes as requested

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Paul Goodman
Nichols Nymet House
Devon
Uk

tf11972

PostThu Jan 30, 2014 1:13 am

Very impressive! If we manage to make a trip in summer, is it possible to make a visit?
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

Nicholsnymet

PostThu Jan 30, 2014 11:32 am

Thomas, you would be most welcome at Nichols Nymet House.If you look us up you will see we offer holiday accommodation. So you can come - stay and play!

Paul Goodman
Nichols Nymet House
Devon
Uk

robinhoodmusic

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 12:02 pm

Lovely setup - I may have to come and stay!!

What is the music being played (by you?) in the videos?

Best wishes

Ian

Nicholsnymet

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 6:41 pm

You would be most welcome to stay - please give us a call! It's not me playing but a friend - Jonathan Hope shortly to become Asst Director of Music at Gloucester Cathedral. The excerpts are from Alcock's Introduction and Passacaglia - maybe I should get the Salisbury set!

Paul Goodman
Nichols Nymet House
Devon
Uk

pat17

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 3:43 am

Hello Nicholsnymet,

Quite an impressive setup! It must be delightful to be able your hybrid organ on such an impressive console! Its's truly magnificent! 8)

I hadn't realised at first how big your place were - by googling "Nichols Nymet House" I realised it was a B&B installed in a large Georgian Manor - so I guess the acoustics is fantastic. Hereford in such a large place must sound like being in the Cathedral for real! Have you kept the full reverb on your settings or have you reduced it to match your place?

I'm a bit puzzled you are using a Mini to control this wonderful instrument. Hereford XL needs 15 GB RAM to load @ 24 bit, and can currently work @ 20 bit only provided to push the Mini's 16 GB RAM to its limits. Unless you have at least partially truncated its reverb?

Can you please elaborate on the pipes "which have been built into the scheme to work via Hauptwerk". Can you transform Midi instructions to control the pallets opening and closing in the wind chest? Is it easy to synchronise sound generation from real pipes with the virtual ones?

Nicholsnymet

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 5:08 am

Dear Pat,
The room where the organ is located is approx 36' square but opens into another room through an archway so its about 50' in total. Unfortunately the acoustic is very dry, but not quite as bad a a living room I suppose.

The Mac Mini is working almost to it's limit but has so far performed without fault, and I have not had to truncate anything to fit the computer, although I have curtailed the reverberation a little, because it was a bit much for me.

I am not very technically minded, but as far as I know the pipe ranks (2 extended ranks) were made part of the Hauptwerk spec so that the drawstops and combination action can control them. There is a separate Midi controller to actually make them speak. I also have a rotary tuning control on the top left of the console so I can retune the Hauptwerk to the Diapason rank. This is useful in colder temperatures when the pipes change pitch.

The interfacing of the pipes/Hauptwerk was acheived mainly by Renatus of Bideford Devon who rebuilt the console and did a wonderful job on everything in conjunction with Romsey Organ works and David Butcher from Lavender Audio. All of them have been extremely helpful.
Paul

Paul Goodman
Nichols Nymet House
Devon
Uk

sjkartchner

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Very nice. That is a remarkable setup.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems