It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 pm

Ongoing Hauptwerk Organ Construction

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Stuart

Ongoing Hauptwerk Organ Construction

PostThu Jan 30, 2014 3:41 pm

The organ shown below has been in process for several years (and isn't completed yet!) The keyboards, stop controls, pedalboard and bench are essentially completed, but the main case (consisting mostly of painted plywood) awaits replacement with a new case.

I've posted many details of the construction process on my personal website at [url]stuartblanchard.com[/url] including the MIDI conversion of the pipe organ keyboards, construction of the Baroque-style stop controls, and construction of a new pedalboard just completed a short while ago. Just click on the 'Virtual Pipe Organs' menu item to get to the organ related pages. I apologize for not having been able to post some of this step by step over time, but many things have kept me from being able to do this until now.

Many thanks to the regular contributors on this forum! I'm sure much of what I have done would have taken much more effort were it not for the wealth of information available here.

mcorderoy

Re: Ongoing Hauptwerk Organ Construction

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 7:42 am

Nice project.
I'm interested in the 50' wiring run to your mac, and the solution you used to connect to the organ. I have a similar issue, and have been concerned that the long wiring runs may introduce latency. Has this been a problem? I had planned to use a 10m active usb extender ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Afunta-Hi-Speed ... b+extender ).

Stuart

Re: Ongoing Hauptwerk Organ Construction

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 9:01 am

I think that USB itself (with or without an extension) is so fast that there is no latency (or at least its so small that it isn't noticeable.) The MIDI signals are relatively simple and probably don't load the USB cable anywhere near its capacity. With my own extension the only issues has been an occasional lockup, but I've noticed that since I re-routed the cables a few weeks ago that this problem hasn't happened since. Perhaps there was just some dust in one of the connections and not an issue with the cable extension itself. I think the one you're looking at should do just fine.

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems