It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 am

Newer Rodgers to Hauptwerk

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

ronnymn

Newer Rodgers to Hauptwerk

PostFri Mar 28, 2014 1:30 pm

image sharing

As an amateur I have had several Rodgers organs in my home over the years and have been very satisfied until I "discovered" Hauptwerk! While this model 688 features seperate stop settings for American Classic, German, French and English organs, with the outstanding sample sets available with Hauptwerk I now feel I truly have access to such instruments. I thought I would share the stages of my migration to Hauptwerk. Initially I simply used the organs auxillary stereo input jacks and the original Rodgers Church organ speakers. Rodgers midi output was easily detected by Haupwerks' Auto-detect for keyboards all general and divisional pistons and the swell shoes. Not so for stop tabs, but I understand this will be available with the release of version 4.1. This was great for awhile but--. From this forum I learned that monitor speakers might well provide better sound in the home than the larger church organ speakers. I tried this and was convinced that it was so. I then sold the larger speakers, purchased a 10 channel audio interface (Motu ultralite) and six active monitors(Adam 7). Why six? again because this forum seemed to favor cyclic routing rather than straight two speaker stereo. I added two rear speakers used for mix-down or surround(small surround (Smecno) as I am limited to 16GB) and last two channels for subwoofer(Golden ear) and the passive speakers powered by a stereo receiver. While I am slowing down, am sure other changes may come as this is in part the enjoyment of it all! One negative is that the setup is a bit ugly the way I have the speakers "piled high". Any suggestions related to my ramblings would be welcome.
Ron in Minnesota

1961TC4ME

Re: Newer Rodgers to Hauptwerk

PostMon Mar 31, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi Ron,

Overall it looks great, but yes, for optimum sound it's tough to hide those speakers. The only thing I could see that would maybe clean things up and give a nicer appearance would be a couple of nice wall mounted or floor standing cabinets to put the speakers in. You've got pretty much the exact same arrangement as I do, a stack of speakers on each side of the console (also a bit unsightly) plus 1 pair to the rear and a sub, but this arrangement produces the best sound in my case. Most importantly for you, how does it sound? Pretty good I'd bet?

Marc in Minnesota

ronnymn

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Yes Marc, your idea is in process. I've had my wife on the look out for some type of small high end table. I understand one name for them is "telephone stand". She's the shopper, not I. As far as sound, it sure seems to do justice to St. Maximin!!! I now have 11 sample sets. Give me a buzz, if I happen to have one you're thinking about stop by and give it a try.
Ron in Minnesota

1961TC4ME

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 am

ronnymn wrote: I now have 11 sample sets. Give me a buzz, if I happen to have one you're thinking about stop by and give it a try.

Thanks, Ron, will do!

Marc

Bombarde32

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi Ron - This is Richard in Indianapolis. Very nice installation. Congratulations. I have an older model Trillium 787e which is a two-manual organ. We have recently loaded the trial version of Hauptwerk on my laptop and tried to make some progress in getting things to work. We have got the keyboards and pedal recognized and the Swell Expression Pedal and the Great-Pedal Expression Pedal to be recognized. Our problem is getting thumb pistons and the crescendo pedal to be recognized. How were you able to get those recognized by Hauptwerk. We are assuming that the Rodgers outputs a program change when a piston is pressed and probably some kind of output volume change code is outputed when the crescendo pedal is depressed. I am having a system designed for me by a company called Organtechnology down in Plano TX. The system will consist of a MacMini with 16GB, two touch screen monitors and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I have purchased the Mt. Carmel Skinner, the Notre Dame de Metz and the Salisbury sample sets to get me started. This house will rock when we are done. I was able to purchase these before the summer sale prices no longer applied. That saved me over $450.00. On our problem, we are tracking down the Rodger's technical rep down in the Texas area to see if he can provide some assistance but since you have a Rodgers yourself we thought we would run this by you as well. Thanks for any help you can provide. If am ever up in the Minnesota area, I would love to stop by a try your instrument out. - Richard

ronnymn

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi Richard. I too have been unable to use the crescendo pedal.Why??? I have never tried to "monkey" around with the various settings in the Rodgers menu for crescendo. I just make do with increasing stops on a thumb piston. As for the thumb pistons: In my Rodgers menu, you scroll down to Midi Settings, select Registration, select Send and then turn to "pistons", not "stops". Trouble is, your menu may or may not allow this. Just prior to my Allegiant, I had a several year old Masterpiece. With that organ I had problems with the thumb pistons--e.g. 1 and 2 would work but when I would try to set 3, it would just repeat 1 (something like that at least) so apparently midi messages are somewhat different in different models. It is my understanding that Hauptwerk V. 4.1 may solve some of these problems. I would certainly be pleased to have you try out my setup if you venture North! P.S. I assume your dealer or tech has allowed you access to the Rodgers menu parameters. Also I should add that all my general and divisional and midi pistons are recognized my Hauptwerk, i.e. with three manuals that is 31 buttons, using the Memory folder buttons of the Rodgers does not increase the usage. 31 is the max.
Ron in Minnesota

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems