It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

Upgraded Hauptwerk Installation

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

ldeutsch

Upgraded Hauptwerk Installation

PostSat Sep 06, 2014 11:31 am

Many of you have followed my theater organ console project that I finally completed last year. This year, I gave some attention to my concert organ setup. I have a very nice Rodgers 945 organ that I use both with its internal voices and with Hauptwerk samples. It sat in my living room, along with eleven speaker cabinets! The speakers took up quite a bit of room and somehow it never seemed formal enough for the house.

In December, 2013, we had a pipe burst in an upstairs bathroom. This led to a fairly comprehensive remodel of the house. I worked with Bruno Legarce, a local pipe organ builder who helped me with the theater organ, to come up with a way to modify the house and hide the speakers. The living room shares a wall with our master bedroom - and both have 10.5 foot ceilings. Bedroom has closets along the shared wall - but the space over the 7 foot line was always useless.

I had our general contractor finish this space as an organ chamber (albeit a very low one!) We left the space open to the living room and placed two large openings on the bedroom side.

Here you see Bruno - who is evidently much stronger than I am, lifting one of the Rodgers bass cabinets into the chamber.

Bruno also built nice doors to fit over these openings.

Here is what things look like in the living room now:

The piano-shaped object in the right foreground is indeed a piano - which does not get used nearly as often as the organs. The small table to the right of the console is holding a Mac Mini running Hauptwerk. I will find a nicer-looking stand for this in the near future.

Les

oliver_mayes

Re: Upgraded Hauptwerk Installation

PostSat Sep 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Les,
How fantastic!! We should all be so lucky to have that kind of space.
It is beautiful.
Ollie

engrssc

PostSat Sep 06, 2014 4:02 pm

I haven't looked inside a 945 lately, but I kinda remember there might be some space for a Mini in there somewhere, maybe? Any problems with sympathetic vibrations (stuff rattling)?

A good looking installation. Are all 11 speakers up in the "organ chamber" ?

Rgds,
Ed

WWillmott

PostSat Sep 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Very nice indeed!

Walter

ldeutsch

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 12:20 am

All the speakers are in the chamber. There is not room for any more up there!

There is some rattling of the chamber doors in the bedroom. You can't hear it from the living room, but it is clear in the bedroom. We will be adding a positive latch to these doors shortly.

Les

ldeutsch

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 12:35 am

I forgot to answer the question about putting the Mac Mini inside the console. There is room for this, but I prefer to keep it outside.

I use both of my Hauptwerk Consoles in a mode that has the computer on at all times (in sleep mode when left for a while after playing.) This has worked extremely well and I "almost never" have to touch the Minis. However, the key word is "almost." We have had occasional power outages in the house and every once in a while I need to restart one of these Macs from the power switch. They are very small computers so it is easy to find a place to hide them that is not as hard to access as the inside of a console. Accessing either of my Hauptwerk console interiors entails moving the console away from the wall and removing a back panel. This is too much work - even if it only has to be done occasionally.

I will likely put a small cabinet next to the console and let the computer share space with sheet music.

Les

pat17

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 1:26 am

Hello Les,

Very nice and neat work, congratulations! 8)

Having the loudspeakers on the top of the room might also help to make it more realistic, when it comes to audio rendering. :wink:

If I may ask, you are referring to the "Minis". Are you using several of them for your setup? If so, for which reason do you need more than one?

profeluisegarcia

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 8:34 am

Hello Les.
Echoing Pat´s congratulations and question, don´t you have multichannel devices? If so, please where are they placed? (and, if possible, tell us something about channels distribution).
Luis

ldeutsch

PostSun Sep 07, 2014 10:03 am

There is only one Mac Mini with this console. I have a second, identically configured one with my theater organ console in another room.

Although there ware a lot of channels in this installation, all but two are for the Rodgers' internal voices. The Hauptwerk portion is simply stereo. It uses three powered monitors, with one being a bass cabinet. I use Hauptwerk primarily for recording, so there is no real need to go beyond stereo.

Les

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems