It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:35 am

Building a dream in Oklahoma

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Romanos

Re: Building a dream in Oklahoma

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 4:50 pm

le sigh. :roll: I'm a francophile through and through. Lived in Paris for a while and studied French for years. Adds a nice splash of color to my wall don't you think? :lol:

blueband95

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Very interesting routing pattern! There is a sound company over here that builds organ sound systems with pipe resonators (Kienle), and they cycle pitches through different sized resonators (each with its own speaker) using a sophisticated crossover system. I visited their showroom, and while the technology was interesting and impressive, it was quite expensive for what it was. I left there suspecting that one could achieve a similar effect without the complexity and expense simply by using traditional speakers via multiple audio channels. It looks like sweetwater set you up to do just that!

Romanos

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 1:30 pm

blueband95 wrote:Very interesting routing pattern! There is a sound company over here that builds organ sound systems with pipe resonators (Kienle), and they cycle pitches through different sized resonators (each with its own speaker) using a sophisticated crossover system. I visited their showroom, and while the technology was interesting and impressive, it was quite expensive for what it was. I left there suspecting that one could achieve a similar effect without the complexity and expense simply by using traditional speakers via multiple audio channels. It looks like sweetwater set you up to do just that!

It's interesting you should mention them... I just stumbled across their page a few days ago. It does look quite interesting. When it comes to electronic organs though, you have to cut your losses. There comes a point where that kind of money is just better spent on a larger traditional sound system.

One of the biggest helps (from a clarity standpoint) is simply having more (good quality) speakers splitting the load. If you have the space (and finances) to accommodate that, then you can get a natural blending in the room in stead of one pair trying way too hard to do it all. I don't anticipate us moving anytime soon, however we are going to be having our first child this coming year so the possibility of house shopping is real. I'd be very curious to get my organ into a larger room that would allow me some space between myself and the speakers. I think this would benefit me tremendously. I strive to be content (my setup really couldn't be a whole lot better unless I paid to have a strictly HW console built from scratch) however it's also fun to have goals in mind. :lol:

Romanos

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 1:33 pm

I saw a lovely old reed organ online the other day that had a real pipe facade (one of the larger 2m ped models) and I couldn't help but think how awesome it would be to gut the thing and keep the woodwork and facade and then slide my console into the center... That's another goal... to have a true facade one day so it actually feels like you're sitting at a real instrument. (My poor wife!)

engrssc

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 2:44 pm

. . . .and then add a few ranks of real wind blown pipes. If you have the space, an ideal setup is to install real swell shades (air driven of course) and put the enclosed speaker (ranks) behind them in chambers. A large, further step toward realism. :o

After that, you probably should think of a suitable "gift" for your wife, maybe a new car, a cruise, stuff like that. :roll: :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

Romanos

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 7:22 pm

Hello Everyone! I wanted to give you all an update. I moved a year ago and never got around to posting new pictures. Well, I finally cleaned up the music room a bit and rearranged the position of a few things, so here's my new music room. (Piano not pictured to the right.)

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/bjFtSbkAVPncMlORQ7P5IwdT3MnUbWhmBbyt9P4povC?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

I wanted to embed a few pictures but flickr is being an absolute butt. They've changed the way they encode their BBCode urls and now this forum doesn't recognize the links. So, follow the link to see a large shot on amazon instead.

seh52

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 10:56 am

Congratulations on your setup. Would love to hear it!
Odd that HW doesn't automatically assign its pistons to Johannus pistons. I have an older SW-30 (1998) that works with no problem. Perhaps the Johannus tech support, accessible at their website, could help?

Romanos

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 11:01 am

seh52 wrote:Congratulations on your setup. Would love to hear it!
Odd that HW doesn't automatically assign its pistons to Johannus pistons. I have an older SW-30 (1998) that works with no problem. Perhaps the Johannus tech support, accessible at their website, could help?

Sadly the pistons don't output any midi signal. If you have a blank piston and press it, HW doesn't register any signal even being sent by the organ. They must have reconfigured how they did their wiring between yours and mine.

ChangedForever

PostFri Aug 12, 2016 8:14 am

Romanos,

As usual, love the pix!! Helps a lot ...

--Mark--
Previous

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems