It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 am

Conn to Paramount

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Cinema Dave

Conn to Paramount

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 12:38 pm

I started with a Conn 653, and eventually had the solder problems that those were so well know for. When I began experimenting with Hauptwerk it sounded so good I just abandoned the analog and went completely digital. I don't have the carpentry skills that so many of you have - there are some great pictures on these pages - so I've modified the Conn console. Later I did another in a small Church (651). Both use Mac Pro computers....the home unit has 8 channels of audio + sub while the other is fairly basic. So far :)
None of this would be possible without reading the forums and the very helpful folks at MDI!

There are pictures here: http://www.cinema-iii.com
Much of that is about movies, but I'll try and get some better organ pics on there.
Most of the time it runs the Paramount 4/50, but I have some others in there as well.
Dave

blueband95

Re: Conn to Paramount

PostWed Mar 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Dave, nicely done! What kind of challenges did you have during the conversion? Do your pistons mechanically set your stops, and/or do they work with HW?

I love how you set up the feel of an old theatre in your home. So do you actually watch movies there, or just play your instruments?

Cinema Dave

PostWed Mar 04, 2015 7:12 pm

At first I tried to keep the analog circuits working, but after I gave up on that it's easy. I use boards from DTS Midi Systems; it's just one wire from each key and they can be set to any channel.
The pistons mirror the ones on the Paramount 4/50 as shown on the screens and can be programmed to any other organ. That means an extra board (or two) to connect them to the Hauptwerk. It's possible to have moving stops, but I had to take the originals out to put in the 4th manual, and new ones are expensive requiring driver boards and then would be accurate for only one organ.

The theatre runs movies at least twice a week....from silents (In name only; there's always some kind of score) to roadshow musicals to the latest Dolby Atmos floor-shakers.
We have an informal group of movie buffs that get together for showings. And sometimes I just use it for Direct TV programming.
Dave

steverose

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 7:57 pm

Did you run into any issues with the Conn key contacts? I had a 652 for a bit and found those little wire contacts could be very touchy.

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems