It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

Rodgers 340 to Paramount

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

Frank-Evans

Re: Rodgers 340 to Paramount

PostSun May 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi Ed,
Yeah.... a little... I started in mid January to work on a Rodgers pedalboard that I had purchased to see if I could add second touch. I didn't want to screw up the one on the 340 :-) and if this didn't work I could always use it in the fireplace.........
Anyway, so far so good, the modification is complete except for installing it and making it work... I have had a couple of other (non-organ) projects that have kept me busy the last month but I hope to get it installed in the next week or two.
I modified it using the same type of arraignment that Robert Morton used. For contacts I used a pair of magnetic reed switched for each pedal. All of the switches are mounted on a board attached to the front of the pedal board which allows the original magnets to actuate the reeds.
Since I use the Artisan MicroMidi system it was simple to mount the encoder on the frame and have a RJ11 telephone type cable as well as a two wire power cable to connect to the console.
It was powered up in the shop and connected to a laptop for testing and all appeared to work well....
I also have bought a pair of the wooden Rodgers keyboards and plan to experiment on those for great second touch.
I have posted the text and pictures in the Dropbox (link below)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fdc2jtc5zxmtpb/.dropbox?dl=0
If interested and that doesn't work, send me a pm.
Regards
Frank

engrssc

PostMon May 02, 2016 2:14 am

H Frank, As always, very interesting. Esp as I, too, (as you know) have a 340 which continues to be a work in progress. I have a good friend who had sorta been a Rodgers fan but of late has changed his mind. He wrote in part while discussing the possibility of adding thumb pistons

"My Rodgers model C-445 does not easily allow the addition of more pistons, nor are the OEM versions readily replaceable. In fact I am quite disappointed with Rodgers quality. The manuals, for example have rubber contacts which are prone to failure, the same is true of the lighted tilting tabs. Some time ago an electrolytic cap failed, its contents caused severe damage to the PCB, we actually had to solder the replacement and glue it in because the correct physical size was not available locally. Such problems never occur with the old pre 1960 Hammonds."

So, thoughts of having a "vintage" well built Rodgers instrument have taken on a new meaning, not only because of this one email, but from many similar "disappointments" by others.

A post note (mine) - hope the new owners of Rodgers can correct these and many other problems for what used to be a good instrument.

Rgds,
Ed

Frank-Evans

PostMon May 02, 2016 10:22 am

Looks like the link was bad...
This one should work.....
[url][/https://www.dropbox.com/s/kej1loremhhb05y/Pedal%20Second%20Touch.ppt?dl=0url]

engrssc

PostMon May 02, 2016 11:50 am

"Clickable" link from Frank Evans, very interesting project::

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kej1loremhhb05y/Pedal%20Second%20Touch.ppt?dl=0

Rgds,
Ed

Antoni Scott

PostThu Jul 14, 2016 11:04 am

Great conversion. One thing I like about the Rodgers 340 is how compact everything is, and STILL has 215 stops !!!!! Amazing.
Antoni

Antoni Scott

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 7:49 am

Wow,this is totally impressive. I can't believe how compact this console is, and with 215 stops !!!

engrssc

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 1:37 am

In light of a Rodgers 340 console (shell) being made available

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16277#p122248

I thought some who might not have seen or remembered this post from a while ago, might be interested in the conversion possibilities.

BTW, the Dropbox listing that Frank mentioned is no longer available.

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems