It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

Hauptwerk system built around Phoenix console

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

IainStinson

Hauptwerk system built around Phoenix console

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 7:07 pm

I play Hauptwerk using the midi output (and input) of my Phoenix three manual and pedal console. It is located in my study which is 155” x 130” x 97” (high). Although the Phoenix stops full operate with Hauptwerk, I use two 24” Iiyama ProLite T2452MTS-B1 touch screens to control the stops on the virtual organs I play.

The Phoenix expression pedals both provide midi signals which Hauptwerk uses, but the Phoenix console does not send piston presses as midi signals – it sends only the resulting stop changes. To enable me to make full use of the Hauptwerk combination system, I converted the Phoenix pistons to send midi signals via a Midi Boutique midi encoder.

I make use of two LCD displays to display combination system information for the active virtual organ. I added a VMeter USB/midi controller which is configured as a master volume control for each virtual organ.

The system has two Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 units to provide the sound output for the instrument and the midi interfaces to control the midi components in the system. These together, with two six channel Rotel RMB 1506 amplifiers (50 watts per channel) and a Lexicon MPX 100-X reverberation unit (are mounted in a 18u Orion data centre rack.

The sound is delivered using 10 Mission M72 speakers mounted at high level on bookshelves opposite the organ console. The sound is distributed using the Hauptwerk notes cyclic within octave, octaves and ranks cycled algorithm which spreads the sound across the five stereo channels very successfully minimising interference between notes.

I use a Paradigm PS 1000 v3 (135 watt) subwoofer fed with a full mix-down from Hauptwerk to provide a convincing bass range for the organ. I also have a pair of Eridol MA-10D powered speakers which are mounted to the left of the console in-front of the player which are fed either with the rear channel from surround sample sets or from a Hauptwerk mix-down which is passed through the Lexicon reverberation unit for dry sample sets.

I have configured the Pro 40s to deliver a headphone output (from another Hauptwerk mix-down output) and can select between headphones (AKG 701) or speakers using switches on the front panel of the Pro 40s.

The computer is a Dell Precision T3600 with a Xeon E5-1650 processor (12 logical cores) running at 3.2GHz, 64GB of main memory, 447GB SSD and 2 900GB hard disk drives; it presently runs under Windows 7 Professional (64 bit).

Power is managed using a USB attached Energenie power controller.

I use a Novation Launchpad to provide a simple interface to various Hauptwerk control functions (select instrument (sample set), control recording, load combination sets and so on).
There is also a wireless computer keyboard and touch pad which is useful for performing system maintenance.

(For more details see http://www.iainstinson.com/wp/hauptwerk )

Iain

WWillmott

Re: Hauptwerk system built around Phoenix console

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Excuse me, I need to wipe the drool off my desk.....

Walter

ludu

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 4:31 am

Hello Lain,

Congratulations, your configuration is very interesting. When you play organs without surround ranks, using your Lexicon reverb, do you load them dry or with the full release? In other words, in this case, do the front speaker sound dry with all the reverb from the rear, or do the front speakers sound wet with an additional reverb behind you?

Cordially.
Luc

IainStinson

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 8:09 am

Hi Luc,

For dry samples I send the dry sound from the sample set to the array of M72 (5 stereo pairs) and a wet mix from the Lexicon to the two Eridol speakers. The main speakers (M72s) are actually behind me and the pair of Eridol speakers high up (on the left) in front of me. I tend to add only low levels of reverberation, just enough to stop the sound being sterile. It is probably because the speakers are all at high level that the sound mixes very nicely giving some reverberation with feeling false.

Iain

ludu

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 8:45 am

Many thanks for this information!
Luc

ChangedForever

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Lian....

Whoa!! As Jackie Gleason would say..."Hubba Hubba Hubba!!... and AWAY it goes..."!! Very nice setup - thanks for the fresh pix. I bet it sounds splendid!!

- Mark

Romanos

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 11:05 am

What a positively lovely looking setup! What intrigues me most is your TWO safire 40's. I have one and have considered getting a second since I have more speakers than I can feed from one. I can use a different interface for two of my channels but then I don't have the option of sending a mix down signal to that pair of speakers (and sub) since they are not the same output and have different clocking. So, my question to you is, does your computer recognize two separate saffires (channels 1-8a 1-8b) or do you interface with one and use the optical connection to feed 9-16 through the second unit?

MikeDC

PostThu Feb 11, 2016 10:14 pm

Looks like a great setup. Do you have enough room or have you ever tried spreading the speakers out a bit so that there is some space between them? I know when dealing with speakers in a regular stereo system, it is best to keep the speakers away from neighboring walls or furniture. Just wondered if that would apply here as well.

Mike

engrssc

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 12:12 am

MikeDC wrote:Do you have enough room or have you ever tried spreading the speakers out a bit so that there is some space between them? I know when dealing with speakers in a regular stereo system, it is best to keep the speakers away from neighboring walls or furniture.

I've wondered about the effect of walls and furniture and have read many of Leo C's posts in that regard. He was a great experimenter and shared his findings here on the Forum. OTOH, with real pipes, they are always crowded into a pipe chamber either enclosed or not. I've also wondered about the theory's behind where different ranks are placed with respect to one another and with respect to the walls of the particular chamber. It would seem all these factors would have some effect on the end result, yes?

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 6:57 pm

Romanos: Under Windows two Saffire Pro 40s can be used together as if they were a single double sized unit – the ASIO driver combines two units into a single device provided the two units are on the same Firewire Bus. This is described at http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/downloads/7241/saffiredualuniteng0.pdf

MikeDC: There is not very much room to increase the space between the speakers. The five stereo channels are arranged left channels A-E and right channels A-E (so that E left is adjacent to D left and A Right). I use HW’s notes cyclic within octave, octaves and ranks cycled algorithm.

Engrssc: I don’t separate divisions or ranks across the 10 speakers - I just let the cycling algorithm to the work. If have tried separating divisions (and even ranks) and found this less satisfactory in my room – I’d rather use as many of the speakers as possible as much of the time as possible to minimise the interference between notes.

I’ve recently moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with a few minor issues which I’ll note elsewhere.

Iain

engrssc

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 6:57 pm

Just a comment. I find that racking esp audio gear to be a big plus vs trying jamb everything into a console. For the most part, a re-purposed console isn't really setup to accommodate many pieces of accessory audio gear esp pro audio gear. And, yes, putting everything in a console can be and is being done.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems