It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

Cant' there be a EASIER way to upload....???

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

B777Captain

Cant' there be a EASIER way to upload....???

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Wow..

I've just spent 30 minutes trying to upload photos and... I give up. And yes, I see others have uploaded some pics.

Why can't there be a simple "paper clip" to click on bringing up a list of options including photos to choose from to upload into the post?

Not only could I not upload following directions, it caused my photo app to "unexpectedly quit" several times!

Gentlemen... There HAS to be an easier way!!! I'm not an IT guy but C'mon.....

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

Grant_Youngman

Re: Cant' there be a EASIER way to upload....???

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 11:13 pm

What photo service or other accessible server are you using to host the photos you're trying to post? You can't actually 'upload' a photo directly to HW from your PC.

It's unclear what would be causing your photo app to crash — you can simply export the photo from your photo app and then upload the file to an on-line photo sharing server (such as FLICKR or others).

Once you've done that you copy/paste the URL that points to your photo in between the image tags generated in the draft post by the "Img" button on the compose page toolbar.
Grant

engrssc

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Posting a photo on such as a Forum is different than cut, copy and paste as you would in an email, always has been that way. Not on just the Hauptwerk Forum, but on others as well. As Grant asked, what photo posting service are you using? Be aware, there is a (picture) size restriction.

For instance, from Photobucket, here's a picture of an old project I was working on:

I do notice that on the free version of Photobucket, there are all kinds of pop up ads to deal with and that older uploaded pictures appear to be blurry. (low resolution). But that's true with many other internet services. It's the ads that pay for these "so called free" services. There is a commercial (for pay) service available on Photobucket as well.

For others that formerly used Photobucket, your uploaded pictures are still available and your old login (user name or email and password) are still valid. Uploads are still possible. Photobucket plants a cookie on your computer so it can monitor/track you. How much and what they do beyond that, I don't know. A guess would be, they look for trends in your browsing habits in order to "overwhelm" you with ads for stuff you look at. Probably sell this (trend) info as well. This mode of operation is true for many other sites these days as well. :mrgreen: Case in point - The Weather Channel. It takes longer to download all the ads than does the weather info. And then there's the (for pay) ad eliminators. :roll: Go figure. No free lunches anymore :cry:

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 4:11 pm

I guess I have to agree with Pat on this one. Although I have been successful posting pics in the past, in general it's a pain in the rear end. :mrgreen:

Marc

engrssc

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 5:15 pm

And I see Photobucket still doesn't work even tho it did for a short time (above). So forget that option.

As well,for the most part, posting pictures appears not worth the effort even tho many times, a pictures is worth 1K words.. :mrgreen:

Rgds,
Ed

phjo

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 3:52 am

picasaweb, now replaced with google photos, has served me well. Links from 2013 are still ok it seems according to an old thread I initiated here. And if you're not too unreasonable, it is free I think. (Just checked, I still have over 11Go available to add new pics, so...)

For those using iCloud, it shoud be easy too I suppose.

So for those wishing to include pictures in posts here, I would suggest to get acquainted with one or the other cloud service allowing to share pictures with family and friends, and starting from that, it should be easy to get links to those pictures and post them here.

B777Captain

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Thanks for the replies...

Eventually I'll get it figured out..

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

B777Captain

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:42 pm

So again i went point by point on the instructions and in the end when I selected preview or submit, I get a message saying "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image'.

Fellas, I'm doing everything I'm supposed to here.... it doesn't say my images are too large or too many pixels or anything like that.

I'm using google photos

Still looking for help on this

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

B777Captain

Re: Posting photoghraphs onto Hauptwerk Forum

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Antoni and Martin:

I've tried exactly to do the instructions using Google Photo, highlighting the link, making sure BCcoding is not checked, selecting img above the post (which puts the words [img] twice.... one before the link and one after the link... and still can't get photos too show up. It tells me the image sizes can't be computed or some such.

i'm at a loss... and open to any further instructions please.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

magnaton

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 am

For what it's worth, I use Flickr by Yahoo. If you have a Yahoo account you also have Flicker, both are free! Uploading files can get a little confusing as you have Photostream, Albums, Camera Roll, Collections, etc. which is just a way of keeping your photos organized and with proper security. You can always just upload pics to the Photostream and organize them into various albums later.

A convenient feature is you can upload your photos in their original size and keep them but choose a different size when sharing or embedding as what is required here. The HW forum requires 640 X 480 which is a "Medium" size for Flicker.

In Flickr select the picture you want to share, then click on the "Share" icon which is the curved arrow at the bottom. Choose the "BBC" code option and select the 640 X 480 size, the HTML coding is available to you, highlighted and ready to copy and paste. This code is verbose, having much more than you need as well as the img . . . /img tags so remove any of the excess coding before and after the IMG tags and you should have a successful photo post here in the HW forum.

Good luck,

Danny B.

mdyde

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 5:39 am

B777Captain wrote:I've tried exactly to do the instructions using Google Photo, highlighting the link, making sure BCcoding is not checked, selecting img above the post (which puts the words [img] twice.... one before the link and one after the link... and still can't get photos too show up. It tells me the image sizes can't be computed or some such.

i'm at a loss... and open to any further instructions please.

Hello Pat,

I've merged your post into this topic, since it's really a continuation of it, and so that we can all see the relevant history, and people don't end up replying in duplicate, or unaware of each other's replies.

(Thanks very much also to everybody else who is trying to help Pat.)

I believe the forum software will just give the 'unable to determine image size' message whenever the URL you enter isn't actually the direct URL of an actual image file.

I don't have first-hand experience with Google Photos myself, but I think I recall one its users telling me that the URLs it provides for photos actually point to Google's web pages (not directly to image files). Perhaps Google does that intentionally to try to prevent people linking to images on their servers. You would presumably also need to make sure that the relevant photo is set to be visible publicly.

If you'd like to post the URL that you have for the image (whatever the URL may be) then we could perhaps try it, to see if we can see what the problem might be with it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

B777Captain

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 4:16 am

Martin...

Thanks for the offer of help. I will make a follow on post with an attempt at the photo following all of the instructions here....

BTW... I have joined Imgur for my photos....

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

B777Captain

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 4:48 am

So I've got it to the point where it says I need to resize. There is a link that says to resize to the forum requested size 640 x 480 and I've selected it. However, it still says I need to resize it.

I just find it amazing... I select what is tells me to and then try to get the photo onto the post here... and its not resizing.

Anyone with Imgur help me out to make the 640 x 480 feature actually do what it's says it's doing but doesn't?

Sigh.............................
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

B777Captain

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 4:45 pm

....And...

Martin, those instructions you sent were for uploading my photos onto Imgur. That's not quite what I'm trying to accomplish. I have my photos already on Imgur, but now trying to get those pics over to here... which is simply not intuitive at all....

Honest question: is it cost prohibitive to make our website here simply have a "paper clip" symbol so we can simply make a post with an attachment??? THAT is intuitive.....

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada
Next

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems