It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

Cant' there be a EASIER way to upload....???

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Cant' there be a EASIER way to upload....???

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Can you "point to" (publish/post a link here) to the page, etc, where the pictures have been uploaded (are stored) rather than actually posting them here?

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 5:03 am

B777Captain wrote:Martin, those instructions you sent were for uploading my photos onto Imgur. That's not quite what I'm trying to accomplish. I have my photos already on Imgur, but now trying to get those pics over to here... which is simply not intuitive at all....

Hello Pat,

Just to clarify, I didn't actually send you any instructions for uploading photos on Imgur. I've never used it myself, and hadn't actually even heard of it until Ed mentioned last week. I don't know how you use Imgur, I'm afraid.

As Ed suggested, please just paste the relevant photo URL that Imgur has given you directly into a forum reply, and perhaps then somebody will be able to see what the issue is with that URL. (For example, perhaps it's a URL that points to a Web page, rather than an image file directly, or perhaps the image isn't set to be publicly-visible in Imgur, if applicable.)

B777Captain wrote:Honest question: is it cost prohibitive to make our website here simply have a "paper clip" symbol so we can simply make a post with an attachment??? THAT is intuitive.....

Sorry to hear you're finding it so difficult. Certainly hosting images has some costs, and moving the forum to a new platform that has that kind of functionality natively (paperclip-type-uploads, automatic image resizing, etc.) would potentially also involve a certain amount of work/costs. I will pass your suggestion on to Brett.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

sonar11

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 12:14 pm

mdyde wrote:
B777Captain wrote:Martin, those instructions you sent were for uploading my photos onto Imgur. That's not quite what I'm trying to accomplish. I have my photos already on Imgur, but now trying to get those pics over to here... which is simply not intuitive at all....

Hello Pat,

Just to clarify, I didn't actually send you any instructions for uploading photos on Imgur. I've never used it myself, and hadn't actually even heard of it until Ed mentioned last week. I don't know how you use Imgur, I'm afraid.

As Ed suggested, please just paste the relevant photo URL that Imgur has given you directly into a forum reply, and perhaps then somebody will be able to see what the issue is with that URL. (For example, perhaps it's a URL that points to a Web page, rather than an image file directly, or perhaps the image isn't set to be publicly-visible in Imgur, if applicable.)

B777Captain wrote:Honest question: is it cost prohibitive to make our website here simply have a "paper clip" symbol so we can simply make a post with an attachment??? THAT is intuitive.....

Sorry to hear you're finding it so difficult. Certainly hosting images has some costs, and moving the forum to a new platform that has that kind of functionality natively (paperclip-type-uploads, automatic image resizing, etc.) would potentially also involve a certain amount of work/costs. I will pass your suggestion on to Brett.

Martin, if I may... I think what the problem is, is that this HW forum does not allow linking to images greater than a certain size? So the problem "the Captain" is experiencing, is not with imgur, but in allowing this HW forum to link to an image > than a certain width / height, stored on imgur. I've run into the same issue while using imgur. I've used imgur all over the place on different forums, so I don't think the issue is with imgur itself. Could be wrong though.

sonar11

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Test 1

https://i.imgur.com/y6cYdch.png

That won't embed in this forum, the error message we get when attempting to use that url in an "img" tag, while previewing the message, is this:
Your images may only be up to 640 pixels wide.

Grant_Youngman

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 12:42 pm

sonar11 wrote:Test 1

That won't embed in this forum, the error message we get when attempting to use that url in an "img" tag, while previewing the message, is this:

The dimensions of this image appear to be 1100 × 853. Perhaps it's IMGUR that has the problem, presuming you set the message to be 640x480
Grant

sonar11

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 12:44 pm

Grant_Youngman wrote:

The dimensions of this image appear to be 1100 × 853. Perhaps it's IMGUR that has the problem, presuming you set the message to be 640x480

I'm not sure I understand? That link is just a link to an image hosted on a server. You can click that link and view the image, right? So it's not imgur. We can view that image everywhere. But when trying to use the "img" tags on this particular forum, the forum software says the image is too large.

mdyde

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 12:56 pm

Hello sonar11,

(I see Grant and myself replied at the same time.)

Yes -- it's correct that the forum software does require images to be less than 640x480 pixels (so it can fit them within the widtih of the forum's thread format). It doesn't resize the images automatically for you. You need to make sure that the images you link to are no larger than 640x480 pixels.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 1:14 pm

Don't take the following wrong, but in our live television business, this thread would be in the category of a slow news day. In which case small details are pondered over and over because basically there is nothing else to talk about. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

sonar11

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 4:41 pm

engrssc wrote:Don't take the following wrong, but in our live television business, this thread would be in the category of a slow news day. In which case small details are pondered over and over because basically there is nothing else to talk about. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Why is this particular issue "slow news day" and other issues not? Because it doesn't affect you? :wink: That's not really fair to the original poster who is obviously frustrated by this.

It's worth noting that this is the only forum I've run into this issue when viewing images not hosted on the forum itself. Normally the forum just resizes the image dynamically/on the fly to fit the available space, and then you can click it to view full size in a new window.

I myself don't post often enough to really get worked up about this issue, but it is definitely an oddity unique to this forum (of the 5 I visit on a regular basis) and I can see how it might frustrate other users who now have to open an image editor just to resize a screenshot. Have an album on imgur or other image sharing site (photobucket etc) and want to share pics of your setup? You now have to resize each image in that album, just so that this particular forum can display it. Seems needless to me.

Grant_Youngman

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 4:46 pm

sonar11 wrote:
Grant_Youngman wrote:

I'm not sure I understand? That link is just a link to an image hosted on a server. You can click that link and view the image, right? So it's not imgur. We can view that image everywhere. But when trying to use the "img" tags on this particular forum, the forum software says the image is too large.

The difference is whether the image is "imbedded" — e.g., the image itself shows up inline in your post, or linked — e.g. in your post you see a clickable web link to the image, but not the image itself.

You IMBED an image using the img tags. In that case, the forum software fetches the image and displays it directly in your post. That's why the image is limited to a width of 640 px — so it fits the forum reader view window.

You LINK an image (or a pdf file, or anything else you want to link to) with the url tags. In that case, the forum software does nothing but display the URL, and your browser goes off and gets the image to display in a new window outside of the forum software if you click on the link. If you link to an image this way, it can be any size you like since the forum reader view isn't a limitation.

Is that the point of confusion?
Grant

sonar11

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Grant_Youngman wrote:
The difference is whether the image is "imbedded" — e.g., the image itself shows up inline in your post, or linked — e.g. in your post you see a clickable web link to the image, but not the image itself.

You IMBED an image using the img tags. In that case, the forum software fetches the image and displays it directly in your post. That's why the image is limited to a width of 640 px — so it fits the forum reader view window.

You LINK an image (or a pdf file, or anything else you want to link to) with the url tags. In that case, the forum software does nothing but display the URL, and your browser goes off and gets the image to display in a new window outside of the forum software if you click on the link. If you link to an image this way, it can be any size you like since the forum reader view isn't a limitation.

Is that the point of confusion?

Possibly, but my point is that other forums do not have that size restriction; they dynamically shrink it to fit in the available space, and then give you the option to click it to view the image full size in another window or view etc.

Again, not an issue for me specifically since I rarely post (and very rarely images). Just trying to explain the issue.

engrssc

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 6:20 pm

sonar11 wrote:Why is this particular issue "slow news day" and other issues not? Because it doesn't affect you? :wink: That's not really fair to the original poster who is obviously frustrated by this.

This issue affects many of us, me, too. And yes, it is very frustrating. I started getting frustrated years ago, but nothing was done to correct the "problem" and I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if anything will be done now. There are work arounds (that have been presented) which is more pointing toward a solution than pointing to a problem.

Myself, I go with a picture being worth 1K of words and would love to see many pictures being able to be easily posted here.

In defense of this Forum, there appears to be much greater traffic here than almost any others that I frequent. And the info presented is greater than excellent.

Rgds,
Ed

jbittner

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 9:09 am

You should be able to set the size of the image in the BBCode tag. See https://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=10
Code: Select all
[img=100x50]https://www.bbcode.org/images/lubeck_small.jpg[/img]

but that doesn't work here either.
[img=100x50]https://www.bbcode.org/images/lubeck_small.jpg[/img]
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

mdyde

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 9:28 am

Hello jbittner,

If you just embed that image in the topic in the standard way (using just the basic 'img' tags/button, then it does display properly:

Code: Select all
[img]https://www.bbcode.org/images/lubeck_small.jpg[/img]

Presumably the forum software used here doesn't support the additional dynamic-resizing BBCode feature.
Best regards, Martin.

jbittner

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 am

Right Martin. Thanks, I was addressing the ability of BBCode [IMG] tags to resize too large images. Works elsewhere, doesn't work here. Some software gives the administrator the ability to customize the html BBCode generates from its tags. As you say, it appears the resize option is not supported by this site.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80
PreviousNext

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems