It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

MikeDC's Console

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

MikeDC

MikeDC's Console

PostSat Feb 18, 2012 11:32 pm

[thank you JohnH for the technical assistance on how to post from Flickr]

I've been working with Allencga on a console he is constructing for me. Below are some "work in progress" photos.

The typical "startup" console of keyboards on an IKEA table. Not very pretty or stable, but works in a pinch.

The music ledger. I came up with the idea of using an art lamp which Allen artfully (!) integrated into the supports for the music rack.

A sample keycheek. The keyboard in this photo is just for testing. The wooden keyboards shown in the first photo will be used in the actual console.

The piston rails. Because I wanted to use black pistons, we added small LEDs above each piston to serve as indicators.

This is the console base. As you can see, it looks pretty sturdy--no more wobbly IKEA table! The finish is a dark espresso color which has red undertones. This will complement the dark cherry of the keycheeks, stop jambs, and music rack.

Allen designed and crafted these custom swell shoes and crescendo pedal. You can see how the two wood stains complement each other.

Working out the arrangement of the toe studs on the right panel. These are Skinner style studs.

This is one of the most impressive pieces to me. Allen completely rebuilt and redesigned a 40-year old pedalboard from an old Allen organ. I really like the way it turned out.

Stay tuned. More to come!

MikeDC
Last edited by MikeDC on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cvmoreau

Re: MikeDC's Console

PostSun Feb 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Michael, I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with what you've done and are doing. The pedalboard is beautiful! When your console is finished, I certainly hope you'll invite me over to see and hear it!

-Chris

pat17

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 5:00 am

I'd love to see the finished product... Really a nice project! :P

engrssc

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 8:17 am

Any info on the art lamp you are using for the music stand? Looks very nice and integrates well with the console.

Rgds,
Ed

MikeDC

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Thank you for the kind words. I will continue to update this post as we progress.

The light is a 30" wide picture light that is designed to mount on the wall above a painting. You just have to decide how you want to extend/reinforce the legs to use it above the music ledger.

This particular lamp is by "House of Troy" and comes in a variety of finishes and sizes. Check the link below for more information:

http://www.1800lighting.com/House-of-Tr ... =SL16%2D61

Michael

engrssc

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Thanks much for the link. Have been looking for something just like that. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

MikeDC

Re: MikeDC's Console - update 4/16/12

PostMon Apr 16, 2012 6:44 pm

The pieces start to come together. Eventually those jambs will be jammed with stops!

cvmoreau

PostFri Apr 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Michael, that is going to be so beautiful. At this point, I love everything about it!

MikeDC

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm in the home stretch, but still not finished. Since we last met, I've moved all of the bits and pieces to DC from Atlanta. I've refinished all the wood (didn't like my original choices), assembled pretty much everything I had, put new springs and felt bushings on the pedalboard, made drawers for controlling on/off, organ select, stepper, etc., and for the headphone amp. Well, and a bunch of other stuff. Here are some of the latest photos.

I built this drawer for all the functions shown. I do have 1-button on capability!

Shows new keycheeks (did not use the ones originally intended) all finished with the keyboards mounted.

DavidMoore

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Mike,
What did you use for a volume slider?

David

profeluisegarcia

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 9:10 pm

I do have 1-button on capability!

Impressive and cool setup¡ Good ideas for my future projects.

Could you please explain a little more about your 1-button on?
Thanks and best regards,
Luis

MikeDC

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 1:09 pm

profeluisegarcia wrote:I do have 1-button on capability!

Impressive and cool setup¡ Good ideas for my future projects.

Could you please explain a little more about your 1-button on?
Thanks and best regards,
Luis

I extended the computer's on switch to the console. I took a 5-volt lead from the computer's power supply to use as a trigger which turns on an A/V switching unit (Belkin PureAV® Home Theater Power Console PF60). Everything else is plugged into the Belkin unit which also allows "delayed on" features. The only caveat is that I have to leave the MOTU Audio Interface turned on all the time because it must be on and ready to work before the computer boots.

MikeDC

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 1:16 pm

DavidMoore wrote:Mike,
What did you use for a volume slider?

David

The volume slider is just a 10K Ohm Potentiometer. Mind you, it controls the master volume on the Audio, MIDI and Performance large control panel. It does NOT act like a swell shoe (although swell shoes use the same potentiometer).

MikeDC

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Keyslips have got to be the most difficult part of a console to get right. Not only do you have to position it so carefully so that the keys don't hit on top and the slip isn't too far forward or too far back, you also have a ton of wires to fit into a very small space. Here's a photo of a section of the Swell keyslip:

BaroqueDMX

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 2:37 pm

MikeDC wrote:Thank you for the kind words. I will continue to update this post as we progress.

The light is a 30" wide picture light that is designed to mount on the wall above a painting. You just have to decide how you want to extend/reinforce the legs to use it above the music ledger.

This particular lamp is by "House of Troy" and comes in a variety of finishes and sizes. Check the link below for more information:

http://www.1800lighting.com/House-of-Tr ... =SL16%2D61

Michael

For $325 plus shipping I was able to get a custom made 30" tracker-style organ light which uses super bright LEDs from Ektralamp. I got the tracker-style because it was able to be mounted directly to my oversized music rack. They also have the same item with a variety of bases for I believe $50 more. For the ones with the included base, you specify the height you want the lamp to be. For all you specify the LED type. The LED type of lamp uses a lot less electricity, runs cool, and there's a lever to swivel the direction of the LEDs. It turned out much better than I ever expected. Well worth the money. Since each is custom made I believe it took about a month for mine to arrive, but well worth the wait.
Next

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems