It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:32 pm

MIDI electronics

A forum for Hauptwerk hardware vendors to post information about their products.
  • Author

Roman

MIDI electronics

PostMon May 14, 2012 7:03 am

MIDI components for use in any Hauptwerk console.
Select your own solution depending on type of keyboards (common rail or diode matrix), size of the organ, flexibility and future growth.

Typical console can be MIDIfied with:
MRG2 - master controller with MIDI merging input
http://www.midi-hardware.com/mrg2

and collection of scanners pluggable to MRG2:

BBS-1K - for keyboards with common rail (used in old analog combos)
http://www.midi-hardware.com/BBS-1K

DMS-2K - for keyboards with diode matrix (old digital organs and all new keybeds)
http://www.midi-hardware.com/DMS-2K

BBSP or PDS - small scanner to be placed in the pedals, one is for common rail, the other for diode matrix
http://www.midi-hardware.com/BBSP
http://www.midi-hardware.com/PDS

LCD modules for displaying Hauptwerk status and labels:
http://www.midi-hardware.com/MiDisp
http://www.midi-hardware.com/miniLCD

Other options also available for smaller organs, where LCD readback is not required:
MBBS - single board controller for one keyboard, can be expanded with BBS-1K scanners to over 300 contacts.
MIDI128 - single board controller for 2 keyboards in diode matrix (expandable to 384 contacts)
PEDSCAN - standalone pedals controller
and more...

Roman

Re: MIDI electronics

PostTue Jun 05, 2012 5:04 pm

LITSW - a small board used to control stops and pistons, has been just upgraded to bring these new features, as required by few forum members:
    General Cancel - you may now set last (24th) button as General Cancel. When you press it, all LEDs within LITSW go off, and proper MIDI messages are sent for all affected input, like they were manually pressed for off.
    output reversal - option to reverse LED driver's polarity, so it can either control common anode or common cathode LEDs
and a few more changes, not especially related to Hauptwerk, so I'll skip them for clarity

http://www.midi-hardware.com/LITSW

pwhodges

PostWed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 am

Are you planning to enable LITSW to accept messages from Hauptwerk, so that it can be used for stop control that also responds to changes made via the program (when pistons are pressed, for instance)?

Paul

engrssc

PostWed Jun 06, 2012 2:52 am

Likewise as a suggestion, to include a "reversible" feature which isn't native to many sample sets, at least the ones I have.

Rgds,
Ed

Roman

PostWed Jun 06, 2012 4:33 am

pwhodges wrote:Are you planning to enable LITSW to accept messages from Hauptwerk?Paul

yes, that's planned. Basicaly it needs MRG2 upgrade, because in theory LITSW LEDs can be controlled externally (not via button) already since early versions, but MRG2 so far is ignoring stops on/off messages from Hauptwerk and not transfering them to LITSW.

engrssc wrote:Likewise as a suggestion, to include a "reversible" feature

that's good idea, and will be included in next version. To clarify - the reversible piston will cancel whatever is on, and send note-on message to enable whatever you want to assign in HW, like tutti. Next press will turn the reversible's LED off, send its note-off and bring back all the LEDs (and MIDI notes) that were on prior using the reversible piston.
Is that the way it should work?

Roman

engrssc

PostWed Jun 06, 2012 10:29 am

Roman wrote:
engrssc wrote:Likewise as a suggestion, to include a "reversible" feature

that's good idea, and will be included in next version. To clarify - the reversible piston will cancel whatever is on, and send note-on message to enable whatever you want to assign in HW, like tutti. Next press will turn the reversible's LED off, send its note-off and bring back all the LEDs (and MIDI notes) that were on prior using the reversible piston.
Is that the way it should work?Roman

Yes, correct. Would that (really good) feature be available as an upgrade/modification to existing LITSW units or only on newly purchased (when available)?

And obviously, in order for H/W to communicate with a LITSW, it needs to connected to a MRG2 vs a MRG3.

Rgds,
Ed

Roman

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 3:43 am

Every LITSW in the field qualifies for free upgrade, but you have to send it back to reprogram. Released upgrades will be announced here.
And, of course, when HW feedback to LITSW LEDs will be available, you'd need MRG2 as master controller.

Roman

Purator

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 10:27 am

Hello,

I want to use this thread to recommend Roman. I ordered a bunch of boards and displays from him and I have to says that they work fine :-D

Greetings
Purator

engrssc

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Roman wrote:Every LITSW in the field qualifies for free upgrade, but you have to send it back to reprogram.

In our case, we would have to order new LITSW boards with the upgrade already installed as we can't be without our existing ones long enough to send them back, etc. That's not a complaint, only we can't do without the present ones we have that work very well I might add. (Assuming there is no other way to reprogram them in the field.)

Rgds,
Ed

Roman

PostSat Jun 16, 2012 4:13 pm

recent updates in MIDI boards:

new product - MIDECO decoder of MIDI notes to digital 64 outputs, may be used to control LEDs stops/pistons, or if equipped with transistor buffers, drive entire rank of real pipes.
http://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php?section=prod_info&product=MIDECO

MRG2 in new version 2.5 can control LEDs in LITSW modules on reception of MIDI notes, so obviously you may want to use them for stops and pistons and LEDs will always show what's on in HW. This is working with most LITSW boards out there, since version 2.2 from year 2008 till current 3.0, but to achieve this compatibility, there are prerequisities: LITSW must work in different MIDI channel than keyboards, and they should not be chained thru keyboard scanner (other type scanner is ok. to chain). For example you can build only 3 keyboard organ with pedals, LCDs, and 3 LITSW for 72 stops around one MRG2.
In next version those conditions will not be required, but only with yet another (future) version of LITSW, while still keeping compatibility with older LITSW.
I hope that description makes sense to anyone using LITSW in their organ.

Roman

engrssc

PostSat Jun 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Very good news, 8) Roman. I'm going to place my order.

BTW, I believe in your description This way you can fit MRG3 in smaller space and lead the MIDI connector in more distant, suitable place.>/p> you meant to refer to the MRG2-LP or did I read that incorrectly?

Rgds,
Ed

pwhodges

PostSat Jun 16, 2012 5:49 pm

The MRG3 already had an LP option, but this is new for the MRG2 - I guess a little cut-and-paste has been indulged in!

Paul

engrssc

PostSat Jun 16, 2012 6:04 pm

I wasn't referring so much to the LP feature as I was to the mention of the MRG3 vs the MRG2. But it is amazing how tiny those boards are.

The other feature that I have been waiting for is that H/W can now send MIDI info back (via the MRG2-LP) to my LITSW boards. Nice to keep everything in sync esp when going back and forth from pistons to touch screen control. That should be cool, now. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

pwhodges

PostSun Jun 17, 2012 5:17 am

engrssc wrote:I wasn't referring so much to the LP feature as I was to the mention of the MRG3 vs the MRG2.

That's exactly what I meant; the MRG3 already had the option, and now the MRG2 has it also - and the text describing it was copied from the MRG3 page to the MRG2 page without adjustment (yet!).

Paul

engrssc

PostSun Jun 17, 2012 8:48 am

Right on, Paul, I got what you meant also. Also know Roman has been super busy of late trying to catch up/keep up with orders and new developments. I know the feeling, something about progress?

Rgds,
Ed
Next

Return to Vendors (consoles & MIDI/computer hardware)