It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

HELP PLEASE!

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Notty

HELP PLEASE!

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi. I'm a Hauptwerk virgin and need help setting things up. I have a Johannus Vivaldi 37 and am running the programme on an HP laptop with an i7 processor and 16gb ram. There's loads of storage. I'm using a Motu Fastlane USB interface. MIDI IN on the organ is connected to MIDI OUT on the interface. MIDI IN on the interface is connected to MIDI SEQ on the organ (there is also MIDI MOD on the organ, but I understand that SEQ is the one to use). St. Anne's organ loads up fine, but Auto Detect just doesn't work. I have selected the Johannus option from the drop down menu.

I've tried with the MIDI stop tabs for each division on and off, and with the 'thru' button on the interface in and out, but no joy. I'm sure it's something basic and obvious that I've not done. Can anyone help, please? Thanks.

engrssc

Re: HELP PLEASE!

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Notty wrote: MIDI IN on the organ is connected to MIDI OUT on the interface.

Backwards. MIDI Out of the organ needs to go to the MIDI In of the interface.

In the long run, it will pay to read thru the User Manual or at least have a copy to reference.

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/CurrentUserGuide/HauptwerkInstallationAndUserGuide.pdf

Rgds,
Ed

Notty

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 5:04 pm

Thanks Ed. MIDI SEQ is, as I understand from reading around the subject, the MIDI OUT option I should use. This is connected to the MIDI IN socket of the interface, as you point out it should be. I also have another cable running from MIDI OUT of the interface to MIDI IN on the organ, which I understand I also need.

jkinkennon

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 6:12 pm

Go to http://www.midiox.com/ and download MIDI-OX 7.0.2. This program will tell you what MIDI messages are being received by your PC. It is likely that a dirty expression pedal or other problem is causing extra messages to be sent, confusing HW's auto-detect.

Set up MIDI-OX under the options to communicate with your MOTU device.

Mixtuur4st

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 2:40 am

Most Johannus organs have a stop called "midi" for each manual and the pedals.
Only when that is switched on midi information is sent to midi seq.

Enjoy,
Jack

Romanos

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 12:20 pm

Did you ever get things up and running? I have a Johannus Sweelinck console and use MidiSeq like you suggested without issue. My console natively put out midi data for the manuals, pedals, and all the stop tabs (sadly not the pistons).

Romanos

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 12:21 pm

It's also worth pointing out here that you need to point HW to your midi interface. Just because the wires are hooked up correctly doesn't mean that HW knows to pay attention to the signals coming from the interface.

anco111

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 7:48 am

Since you started this thread in april I really hope you have it running by now lol

If not, make sure that you connect all the cables before starting hauptwerk.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing