It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:16 am

Hauptwerk V as a VST vi with notation software

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

pwhodges

Re: Hauptwerk V as a VST vi with notation software

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 12:15 pm

blueband95 wrote:They are on the same home network,
[...]
The process would entail hooking up the MIDI interface/out of my Finale/desktop mac to the MIDI interface/input of my HW computer, correct?

You don't necessarily need a physical MIDI link - you can send MIDI over the existing network (though I can't speak for the timing accuracy):
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/audio-midi-setup/ams1012/mac

Paul

mdyde

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 12:25 pm

Hello blueband95,

[I've moved the topic here, since it's mainly about interfacing between notation software and Hauptwerk.]

Using the Hauptwerk AU Link to route the MIDI output from Finale into Hauptwerk with a MIDI cable is really no more difficult (in fact, considerably less so). You just have both programs running on the same computer and select the Hauptwerk AU Link as the MIDI output device in Finale, then select the Hauptwerk AU Link as the MIDI input device in Hauptwerk. You can optionally also route the audio output from Hauptwerk back into Finale via the AU Link (otherwise just select a dummy/spare audio device in Finale, and select your real audio interface for audio output from Hauptwerk).

blueband95 wrote:I have thought about keeping HW4 with the dongle running on my desktop/Finale mac, while running HW5 on my console mac, but from what I understand, that would not work, as upgrading to V on my console mac will nuke the dongle for use with any copy of HW. It might be different if I bought V outright rather than upgraded, but that seems like a lot to pay for a functionality that may still be too much of a pain to use with any frequency.

You'd need two full Hauptwerk licences (of whatever versions) if you wanted Hauptwerk to be running on two computers at once, so I wouldn't recommend that. Likewise for sample set licences.

It's much simpler and cheaper just to do everything on the one computer.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

blueband95

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks for your quick reply, Martin!

The situation is that I have a computer dedicated to my console with HW for practicing, including all of my paid sample sets, and another computer with Finale that I use for composition. I wasn't thinking about running HW on two computers at once, just one at a time. Is it possible to have a copy of HW V on both of my computers, and just switch the iLok or online authorization to the computer I'm using at any given moment? I realize this wouldn't work for the sample sets, but this could allow me at least to utilize HW with Finale using free/unencrypted sample sets.

Many thanks,

Matthew

GrahamH

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Graham, sort of but not really. They are in the same room, but about 3-4 meters away with a door in between.

3–4 metres should not be a problem.. I have done something similar with a 10 metre MIDI cable.
The process would entail hooking up the MIDI interface/out of my Finale/desktop mac to the MIDI interface/input of my HW computer, correct?

Exactly!
Then use the HW setup as a AU virtual instrument in Finale? That would seem awfully hard to manage, with a lot of bouncing back and forth to set up and run stuff. Is that the case, or am I missing something?

That’s not how I do it (using Noteworthy Composer rather than Finale). But note: the following will only tell you how to control Hauptwerk from a notation score. It will not tell you how to do clever stuff like playing Hauptwerk organ sounds together with orchestral instruments or vice versa :(
Basically, I would launch one of the Hauptwerk alternative configurations and I would treat Finale as if it were the organ console with which you control a Hauptwerk organ, therefore:

1. In Hauptwerk General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports, under Console MIDI IN ports, tick the box that relates to the MIDI IN port on your HW computer to which you have connected the MIDI cable from your Finale computer.
Then load an organ and configure it to respond to Finale as follows:
Right-click on the Great keyboard.
In the drop-down menu select Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually for keyboard: GREAT…
On the screen that is presented, configure the parameters (under the Primary Input tab) as follows:
Input: Direct input from your MIDI organ console/keyboard/sequencer
MIDI IN port: I would advise against selecting <Any enabled port> and instead, select the specific port that you ticked in General settings.
MIDI channel: Chan 02 (dec 01, hex 01)
MIDI keyboard/range lo key: 036
MIDI keyboard/range hi key: 096 (for 61 note keyboard)

Repeat the procedure for Swell, specifying MIDI channel: Chan 01
And repeat it for Pedal, specifying MIDI channel: Chan 03
and MIDI keyboard range/lo key: 036;
MIDI keyboard range/hi key: 065 for 30-note pedalboard or 067 for 32-note pedalboard.

2. On your Finale computer, create or load a score.
In effect, the staves or tracks in this score will take the place of physical organ keyboards that control the Hauptwerk on-screen (virtual) keyboards. You achieve this by assigning to the notation software staves or tracks the same MIDI channels as you just assigned to the corresponding Hauptwerk keyboards.
To begin with, set up a very simple notation score with staves for right hand, left hand, pedal, and a tempo track.
Assign both of the manual (Great) staves to MIDI channel 2.
Assign the Pedal stave to MIDI channel 3.
Assign the tempo track to MIDI channel 16
(Note: You can choose other MIDI channel numbers, provided nothing else is using them and provided notation staves and HW keyboards have corresponding channel numbers.)

Key-in a few notes on each stave and set a tempo on the tempo track.
On your Hauptwerk monitor, select some stops.
On your Finale computer, start notation playback.
Your notation should now play the Hauptwerk organ, sounding the stops that you have selected.

Assuming you have the above working satisfactorily, you can create a score with additional tracks/staves to control Hauptwerk’s Swell keyboard (and also the Choir keyboard if you have a three-manual sample set).

3. You can also control the registration (select and deselect stops) from within the notation score in much the same way as you would specify the orchestral instruments for playing back a regular orchestral score.
I would recommend using Program Change messages (or “Instrument Patches”) for this, and placing them on a separate track (or stave). I usually use the tempo track that I assigned to channel 16.
The Program Change messages toggle the on-screen Hauptwerk stops, and to minimise confusion I suggest placing “Stop on” messages above the stave, “Stop off” messages below the stave, and any tempo changes in the middle of the stave.

Configuring the Hauptwerk stops to respond to MIDI Program Change messages is similar to configuring the keyboards:
Right-click on the stop to be configured.
Select Adjust MIDI/trigger setting manually for stop:
On the screen that is presented, configure the parameters (under the Primary Input tab) as follows:
Input: Momentary piston: MIDI program change.
MIDI IN port: the one that you ticked in General settings
MIDI channel: Chan 16 (dec 15, hex 0F)
(‘On’) program: Prog 17 (or whatever Prog number you have chosen for that particular stop).

You need to do this for each of the stops and couplers.
As regards assigning Program Change numbers to the stops, I suggest you type out a stop list and then assign numbers to the stops, starting at 01.
I actually printed off a screen-dump of the Hauptwerk console screen, and wrote the numbers on that, then I configured the Hauptwerk stops accordingly.
When I’m creating a score, I have this sheet beside me so that I can insert the appropriate Program Change numbers into the score.

I also configured the on-screen General Cancel piston to respond to Program Change 65, and I start and finish every score with a double insertion of Program Change 65 to “clear the decks”.
You can also configure the Hauptwerk expression pedals to respond to MIDI Continuous Controller messages in the notation score, such as 4 Foot Pedal; 7 Volume; 11 Expression etc.

If this looks like the sort of thing you want to do, and if you want more details, send me a PM with your email address and I will try to answer your questions.

BTW - you have a splendid studio! Congratulations.

Graham

mdyde

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 am

blueband95 wrote:The situation is that I have a computer dedicated to my console with HW for practicing, including all of my paid sample sets, and another computer with Finale that I use for composition. I wasn't thinking about running HW on two computers at once, just one at a time.

Hello Matthew,

Thanks for the clarification. My apologies for any confusion; I hadn't realised that.

- If using Hauptwerk and Finale together on the same computer then the Hauptwerk AU Link is the simplest way to connect the two applications together.

- However, if if you're running Hauptwerk and Finale on different computers and want to connect them together then the Hauptwerk AU Link won't help you, and you would instead need to use physical MIDI cables to route MIDI between the two computers as Graham describes (and there would then be no need to have Hauptwerk installed on the Finale computer unless sometimes you also specifically wanted to run Hauptwerk on the Finale computer, instead of your main Hauptwerk computer).

If you *do* sometimes specifically want to use Hauptwerk on one computer, and sometimes on the other, then there would still be no need for duplicate licences for Hauptwerk, or for any of your sample set. You would simply:

- Activate all of the licences to an iLok dongle (or to iLok Cloud, if you prefer, and if both computers have reliable always-on Internet connections).

- Install Hauptwerk and all of your sample sets on both computers.

- Make sure that the dongle is attached to whichever computer is actually running Hauptwerk at any given time (or that you're logged into iLok Cloud on that computer, if using iLok Cloud instead of a dongle).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

csw900

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 9:49 am

It is interesting that VST appears to not be all that popular with HW users. I have recently been having a bit of a look at it but have come to the conclusion that it is excessively complicated and has very little relevance to organs. It is probably past its sell by date unless perhaps you are a pop group.

Adding extra reverberation to an organ which probably already has sufficient is way over the top and spoils the sound. However SOME reverberation is essential - if you have listened to an organ with none at all (as I have) you would realise the need. Just how much is best is debateable but it is easy to tell if there is not enough or too much just by listening.

I think it should be possible to select the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" as an output to HW. This appears to be not available to HW even though it is present on the computer and is available to other organs. Likely to be more useable than VST for adding midi effects without getting too complicated.

csw900
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing